Why are brothers so protective of their sisters?

My brother and I don't speak, we've never been close and he knows I don't care for the whole alpha male "you can't date this person because I say so" bullshit. yet when it comes to his friends or guys he knows he literally threatens them to stay away from me. What is that all about? I don't understand it.

44

Most Helpful Guy

• brothers are protective because they are familiar and seen enough of the common lad attitude towards young women. I think brothers have every right to be protective to a degree. if anything it's better to ensure that yourself won't suffer like most girls who don't have that protection. it's a big spectrum though so don't take what I say litetally

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's simple. He loves you and cares for you but yet at the same time he wants to act macho as he is growing up. Guys for the most part want to stray away from femininity. Maybe he knows the guys around him or his friends are a bit dangerous or risky and he doesn't want you to get in trouble with them?

What Guys Said 3

• He is a guy and he directly knows what guys want and what they are all about and just doesn't want to see you get hurt. Guys have this primeval protective instinct and he likes the power he has over you and his friends.

• Just accept it. It's healthy Male behavior, it's evolutionary.

• Tell him not to do that.

What Girls Said 3

• I had my brothers coworker knock on our door the day after I met him at my brothers 21st. My brother answered the door the guy said he wanted to ask me out.
    My brother simply said "no" and closed the door on his face.
    The dude was a total Wanker apparently.

• Because he is a guy and he knows he guy thinks; especially if the guys are his friends. He will soften up if he trusts the guy you like; or knows/hears good rep about him.

• Because they are a-holes and think other men will be the same to you. They afraid that their karma will get their sisters, they become defensive and think they have to save you, or it is somehow their fault if a man harms you.