Girls: Why do you talk about your EX to your new BF?

My girlfriend broke up with her boyfriend.

Cut all contact with EX, erased Ex's number, blocked Ex on Facebook.

Has a big crush on me.

But, has kept pictures of him tucked away out of sight in an album

Vents to me on how bad he treated her

Suggested a cologne he used to wear

Suggested some clothes similar to her Ex

I already told her to stop and keep the past in the past because I'm my own person. She has never mentioned him since.

Do you think my girlfriend is still into her Ex?

212

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say most girls mention their exes to their new boyfriend to test the water and see whether the new guy is capable of hurting her in the same way or worse, to analyse potential risk but also to set boundaries on what they don't want. It can also be to see if the new guy is willing to open up about his past experiences and see what his boundaries are.

All this can be discussed though without mentioning specific names or people.

I'd say it's pretty standard for a girl to keep photos in an album locked away somewhere of her ex as old mementos of an earlier time nothing to worry about there, venting about bad treatment is an indirect way of getting reassurance from you that you're not going to do the same.

Suggesting a cologne and clothes he used to wear does seem strange to me though.

I'd say the best thing is to sit down and have a conversation with her about where you want the relationship to go, what you expect of her and of yourself and ask her why she's made the suggestions she's made.

If the breakup was pretty recent then she may still be healing.