Do guys prefer girls who are like their moms?

I've been dating this guy for a while, and I have met his mother and seen her texts to him on his phone (he showed them to me voluntarily)... and I have realized one thing: His mom and I share VERY similar personality. We are both very sensitive and soft, and we both love reading poetries, cooking and caring for children and men. I have found out that even our texting styles are very similar, as we both LOVE to use unnecessary emojis and tons of flowery words to describe the most mundane things.

Those traits of mine were once called "annoying" and "unnecessary" by my exes, but now I see why this guy never really minded it too much.

That has gotten me thinking: Do guys tend to look for girls who have personalities like their moms? Or shouldn't it be the opposite, meaning guys like girls who are not like their mothers, girls who are "different"? Thoughts?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most guys do.
    I also think most guys will definitely say "no!"
    But if you think about it logically for a second, im sure most the girls you went for , or most you liked had similarities with mom. Could most likely be personality, but looks too sometimes.

Unless the guy absolutely hates his mom. Then he will go for girls who are the opposite

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• Definatley not however the one thing that a women should observe about a man is that if he treats his mum with absolute respect and is kind, helps his mum in anyway he can and shows that unconditional love you know he is going to do the same for his potential girlfriend, in essence if a man shows respect and has a close bond with his mum then it means he respects women and your probably onto a good guy there

1|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. I think my brother might because he is more like my dad, however I am more like my mom so I kind of prefer someone with a different personality. Although you could make a case that my ex girlfriend looked like my mom lol

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the guy. And even then, it's entirely subconscious. It's known as the Oedipus complex, Freud came up with the theory. It is actually rather interesting, you should read up on it sometime if you want to know more, much smarter people than I have analyzed the theory.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think this is a very astute observation. And the reason is from childhood our personality have grown around that person which have unknowingly made us susceptible to such traits.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think anyone purposely goes for someone like their mum. But it makes sense that if you see your mum as the ideal women and mother, you would want your partner to have similar traits.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no. I don't want to date anyone that remotely reminds me of my mom.

1|2
    0|0
  • Consciously or subconsciously yes. I practically married a black version of my mother.

1|1
    0|0
  • I sure don't. I love my mom but I'll be damned if i get a flake that won't take responsibility for her actions.

0|0
    0|0
  • guys like girls that dont act like their mom because it might cause flirting since the guy know what his girlfriend like and doesn't

0|0
    0|0
  • for some guys yes, however i think it's only a small percentage.

and no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe for some guys, but it's definitely not conscious. Who would want to date their mum?

0|0
    0|0
  • guys that are not like their moms thank you so much my mother had texts on her phone to my father telling him that she wanted to push my girlfriend infront of a train and with their luck she would live and they would end up in jail..., even though my father didn't say he was going to push her :s and a few weeks ago she threatened me letting me know im living on borrowed time that i can take it as her threat ill never know what she has planned lol another text haha so not like mother difffferent then mother

0|0
    0|0
  • Oedipus Complex?

0|0
    0|0
  • No my mom is toxic towards me so I rather not

1|0
    0|0
  • NOOOOO

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't want a girl that is like my mum

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer different from my family.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah,

0|0
    0|0
  • According to that crackpot sigmund freud people do. What you described is you being a woman and his mom is also one.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 2

• My boyfriend reminds me of my father in strange way, and I have a good relationship with my dad. They say that we tend to fall for those who have similar traits to our parents if they had a good relationship with them.

0|0
    0|0
  • They say so.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes