How competitive is Tinder for guys?

I just start using Tinder and as an average girl, I got lot of matches, more than I expected. I had to sort the guys since there were too many. Are the gender ratio unbalanced on Tinder? Or just people in general like to match with a lot of people?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• This is what I came up with:

"If you're a woman seeking a guy on dating apps, it can sometimes feel like there's an overwhelming amount of men on there. Maybe that's because men (and often the ones you're not interested in) send more messages than women, but it can definitely feel like they're dominating."

"When it comes to Tinder, the most popular dating app, the good news is that it's a 50/50 split between men and women. "

So there you have it. Equal numbers, but the guys will swipe on most every girl. Then all the girls have to do, is just sit back and swipe on the hottest guys. Then the hot guys start sorting through their matches. They're looking for the hottest girl, that's DTF. (And hopefully that same night.)
    They start with the 10s and work their way down to the 4s.
    So a decent, confident, intelligent guy who's a 7, doesn't stand a chance with getting a girl who's above a 3.
    Girls would much rather have a hot jerk, than a decent average guy.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • That makes sense, for hookup, I would rather be with the handsome male than good guy, but then again, in long term, its the complete opposite.

• Show All
    • Yeah I mean short term and long term is different, but you got it right I think. I'm average and been with really attractive guys, where they using me to fuck? Maybe, but they were sexually attractive so it didn't bother me. I would rather get used by them than having sex with someone less good looking. Then again in long term, the mindset is different obviously.

• If you just want to get used, then Tinder is the perfect place. But if you want long term, then you need to stop swiping the hot guys, or just get off Tinder.

• They are SO unbalanced. There are hundreds or thousands of guys for every girl. We just had a topic on this three days ago. I could spend hours explaining how unbalanced and crazy it is.

But some quick numbers I've been able to put together...

1) There are hundreds of guys for every girl. OR WORSE.
    2) 99% of girls profiles on there are fake or actively bots. Many are prostitutes. So any real girls are lost in a huge sea of fake profiles that look real.
    3) Girls are inundated with offers in minutes. Guys go months without a response (except from bots.) So girls just open Tinder and have unlimited dates. Guys wonder if there is even a single girl on Tinder.
    4) A girl will literally get more responses from filling out a profile than a guy will get in months of putting in hours a day trying to meet someone.
    5) Even with a decent profile (not special) and blindly swiping right on EVERY picture, for weeks, it is unlikely to get even a single hit for guys. Eventually they will get one, but they are super rare.
    6) On the super rare chance that you meet a girl, because the girls have unlimited options they have resorted to ghosting or standing guys up at an atrocious rate.

I've done a lot of research because I'm working on a romcom screenplay based on how ridiculous Tinder is and how little women understand how it works.

2|4
    0|0
    • I still can't find a halfway decent date with a guy who doesn't just want to hookup.. Every guy I've met wants to hookup. Even though I've had 200+ matches. I've met a few but only one good experience and he ended things.

• Show All

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, there are mainly guys on there.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 77

• The gender ratio in dating is just unbalanced in general, and dating apps get a lot of the overflow. The reason is women are much more likely to be "sharing" partners. A desirable guy could date two or three women at the same time and is much more likely to be double-dealing. Women cheat too, but generally it's going to be with men who are themselves cheating. Few women cheat with single men because if they do, they just break up with their boyfriend and date the single guy.

Also, men like my father will knock up three different women, then those women are "removed from play" because they're too busy being single mothers to want to date (although I know a lot of single mothers who do date, I know more who don't). None of them ever dated seriously again to my knowledge, but just raised my worthless father's children.

Only 35% of men in history passed on their genes, whereas 80% of women did (and most of the other 20% didn't because they died in childhood before they got the chance).

0|1
    0|0
    • True that. They all fuck the douchebag and get bitter afterwards. Like it was not obvious at the beginning he was a douchebag 🤦🏿‍♂️

• Show All
    • @jean_A Also should add the caveat that in males, aggression (which is an interpersonal style, not character) is considered an attractive quality in men in most cultures. And if you're very aggressive, people will probably think you're a douchebag.

• Well mainly only thinking about yourself and not considering others while hurting them is to my view considered douchebag behavior. And you can see this back even in photos. You can manipulate your pictures and profile in a way so people get the wrong idea. And don't get me wrong, the douchebags are not the problem here. It's nothing more than logical people behave that way. Actually I think it's essential for some guys these days. But it doesn't make it less wrong. Here an explanation on douchebags, douchebag math 101 https:// youtu. be/ESYK8fCEHUQ

• The top 20% of men have their pick of the top 80% of women. The bottom 80% of men have to fight over the bottom 20% of women.
    So how competitive it is as a guy depends on where you place in that.

1|7
    0|0
    • So most women go over the same guys basically?

• Show All
    • It doesn't work out in the long term because once they're done "hooking up" they're in the bottom 20% and most men don't want to form a permanent relationship with them.
      Instant gratification without consideration for long term consiquences is a fools choice.

• I agree with you, was talking about short term, but you are right about long term

• For an average guy, you're lucky to get a match per month. But the top 20% of guys do well at around 5-20 per week. This is because women consider 80% of men to be below average in attractiveness. Only 20% of men are considered attractive by women.

2|2
    0|0
    • only 20%, I got to admit I can be picky but that's such a low percentage.

• Yeah, that's the statistic a different dating sight gathered from its users. Tinder might not have the exact same number, but it's probably close

• I guess we have more narrow tastes, gotta admit I do find the same guys attractive as my friends.

• There's more guys on it
    Lots of guys just swipe yes on all the girls
    (I used to swipe yes to everyone just to see how many matches I could get)
    Tinder is bad for my mental health tho cause it just confuses the fuck out of me.
    In person I get a good amount of attention from women. Here I've gotten plenty. But on tinder I get very few matches and I'm like, wtf is the difference?
    So I just don't use it anymore cause it drives me crazy.
    (Did get a friends with benefits from it once tho)

1|0
    0|0
    • I feel like tinder is a lot on look, which might be an advantage or not.

• Show All
    • I feel like online is a lot different, people don't hide their feeling at all online which can be a bad thing.

• Not if you think of it as a filter.

• I don't think there's any way to know the ratio, but there are a fair few girls also, but who knows how many profiles are fake? I wouldn't be surprised though if there wasn't more guys on those apps and sites in general though.

1|0
    0|0
    • Honestly, maybe that could be true haha

• There are about twice as many men as there are women.
    But the average woman gets 20 times as many matches as the average man.

So, one could say there is quuuite a bit of imbalance.

1|1
    0|0
  • There's so many more guys. I also believe women have higher standards, so it's harder for guys to match with women they find attractive too.

Women don't need to do anything apart from swipe on that app generally and they'll get something out of it.

3|0
    0|0
  • Its competitive. Just know that if you use tinder, you're probably not going to find a good match because every guy who you match with probably has every other girl matching with him as well.. and due to the fact that there aren't that many attractive guys in the first place, the chance of the guy going for you is pretty low.

1|1
    0|0
  • If you are a girl, don't have to even be remotely attractive than you will get a hit like in sec (I'm not saying nits wrong just these are the facts and we need not ignore them) a guy on the other hand unless you are like Brad pit level of hot don't even bother!

0|1
    0|0
    • no problem it seems like the most common answers from guys. I honestly wonder what cause such difference at the end

• According to google, the ratio there is 50:50. So for every straight girl that gets a match, a straight guy gets a match. Competition is about the same.

Girls are just more picky about who they will talk to. They are more likely to be in control of a date happening. A lot of that is because a disproportional part of males are interested in a casual night of sex though. Girls often perceive that as thinking they have more interest from guys.

1|0
    0|0
  • most dating websites have a small amount of guys who get a LOT of matches, and the majority get some, and a small amount get zilch. Just life--men are less selective.

1|0
    2|0
    • You think female are more selective on dating apps?

• Show All
    • I mean being cute and not obese are standard as well, so you do pick a certain population of potential females.

• True, obesity is pretty rampant today

• ... competitive? Once you sift through the fake profiles and cam profiles and the dead profiles do you finally come across a match. Well worded or basic, whichever your greeting may be, chances are, she won't respond. Either that, or you get deaded/ghosted out of nowhere. Doesn't matter how promising the conversation is. I have 67 matches and like 30 some unfinished convos.

1|1
    0|0
  • Tinder is very much a have-and-have-not situation.

I say about 10% of the guys get most of the action, so that means most of you guys are sharing the same guys!

0|1
    0|0
    • That's fine, I always assumed some guys went for many girls, its fine if he is hookup material

• Show All
    • lol what you mean?

• Haha it was a joke. I was not serious. Nevermind :p

• I think Western Culture and Society is organized in a way in which women get more disproportionally more proposals then men do.

Men usually take the initiative, instead of women. So, women have more choice when picking a partner, since they get a lot more proposals, while most men end up rejected.

Since women have more offer they try to pick their best ones, often ending up picking the same man another woman did, over and over again.

This creates a cycle, where few chosen lucky guys get all the women and end up treating them in a lesser manner than if they had been chosen less.

This disproportionate difference in gender behaviour tends to make everyone less happy than if there was more equality in gender behaviour.

1|3
    0|1
    • Everyone try to get the best mate I suppose, it sucks it impact negatively other guys. I gotta admit you have to sort the person you date on Tinder which seem to end up over physical traits most of the time.

• Well, in my personal opinion Tinder is mainly used by men to find a woman to hookup or have sex with, so they’ll match up with whoever is relatively attractive and is willing. I think there also men on there who are insecure, unconfident, and think of themselves as losers, so you’ll see them not being picky with the assortment of women there are in Tinder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tinder is only practical for women. I've had tinder for over a year and I've never met up with any women, I've only had a handful of matches and most of them are bots.

1|1
    0|0
  • VERY. ratio of men to women is quite lopsided, and merely swiping right or left is not enough feedback.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've used it before and seen it from both sides
    Girls are far too picky with who they choose so guys have to swipe on literally every single girl they come across just to have any chance of matching

1|0
    0|0
  • it's easier to meet people wen you're a woman. guys have no shame or fear and will approach every woman possible in order to increase their odds of success.

1|0
    0|0
  • Dating sites are pretty much always much more competitive for men than women. Maybe on bumble it's different.

1|0
    0|0
    • Not more competitive but much more competitive. Women barely have any competition.

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 1

Recommended myTakes