What are your thoughts on a man that can cook?

Ladies, is a cooking man a huge + in a relationship? Just asking because out of the blue, I just randomly started cooking, and I liked it. I really want to make some rich restaurant level meals, cooking is fun, never thought I would ever like it. Would really want a woman to appreciate my chef skills from time to time

Men, do you like to cook?

2|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Every adult man should know how to cook. It's not a plus, it's requirement. I'm not dating someone who doesn't handle basic skills.

10|4
    2|4
    • Then go to hell and stay single! Lol

• 1) I believe it's a good skill to have.
      2) So you expect it from. men? Well, then don't cry sexism when men have unrealistix expectations. Things like "I don't date women who work. I need a full time housewife".

I just honestly hope one day you meet the perfectly guy, and you'll have to either dump him, or become
      a hypocrite.

• Cooking classes are mandatory in school here, I expect everyone who has passed seventh grade, regardless of gender, to know how to cook. So if someone is really so clueless that they don't know how to make dinner for themselves, I wouldn't date them.

And @bigbang10 I have a boyfriend, who knows how to cook, so I don't have to "stay single" or go to hell... 🙄

• Honestly I would prefer they didn't. I want to take care of my future husband so I want to have some skills that they don't have so they appreciate it more.

0|1
    2|1
    • Understandable

• So you are intimidated by a man who has a diverse set of skills, and can take care of. himself? I smell hypocrisy.

Most Helpful Guys

• All adults should be able to at least make some basic meals. You don't need to be a master chef, but anyone can learn at least a half dozen meals.

I can make about 20 dinner meals, basic baking, and I also do a bunch of grilling. And everyone should be able to make a few traditional breakfast meals - eggs, pancakes, waffles, French toast, etc. It's not difficult...

0|0
    0|0
  • >> Men, do you like to cook?

I enjoy it and got used to it as a bachelor, but I'm a little bit sloppy. I don't like to follow recipes precisely, so I'll look up multiple recipes for a dish and get a general idea of like the key ingredients that influence the flavor. Then just kind of go half-assed grocery shopping and make sure I get the essential stuff. Then taste and tweak and taste and tweak.

I'm much better at foods that allow tasting and tweaking, like a pot roast or a curry or a sauce or soup or chili or something. I'm not so good at precision things like baking where you have to get it all precise and perfect in advance. I did get the hang of searing steaks and estimating doneness, but only because I'm a steak lover.

0|2
    0|0
    • I also have no consistency since I'm so sloppy and never measure. I like to think the dishes I make taste good every time, and they seem to be quite popular among people, but they also taste different every time. :-D

• Show All
    • I can barely bake those cookies in a tube.

• @spartan55 Same. :-) That precision stuff is way too tedious for me, and too many ways for it to go wrong. I can kind of save the stuff that's more forgiving with the whole taste and tweak thing.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 56

• I was drunk once and got super hungry. My boyfriend, also drunk, took out a block of Velveeta, which I hate, some bread, and garlic salt (no butter) and made me a burnt, salty grilled cheese with cheese that wasn't even melted. I ate the entire thing because he tried. It doesn't matter if the food is amazing to me, just that someone took the time to create something meant to feed me and make me happy. It's always a plus.

0|1
    0|0
  • Cooking solely for girls/women is a thing of the past. A man should know the basics of cooking just as a girl/woman should know how to change a car tire. Times have changed and some of the best cooks in the world are men. I also admire women that are into typical men jobs such as construction. Barbie for girls and toy cars for boy is a thing of the past

0|0
    0|1
    • A car tire? Lol. Because that's difficult.

If you think cooking is on the same level as changing a car tire, you must be a horrible cook.

• Show All
    • And don't call me dear, honey, luv, sweety, hun, etc... EVER again.

I'm not your relative, not your friend, not your lover, or your maths teacher. Show the decency toward me of addressing me as another human being, and not someone inferior. Get a fucking hold of yourself.

• @Benedek38 wow, the insulting type grown up person...

• i love cooking and feeding my man makes me happy. but my man can cook, seafood, breakfast, meat and potatoes. my ex husband could boil water. its nice when he helps me cook too. its a way he can show me he lives me and cares about me. so how could i not love that? when i work all day. he cooks a full meal! wow!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's good if he knows how to cook basic things, such as eggs and pasta because I wouldn't want to be the one who does all the cooking. But I wouldn't say it's a requirement for him to be able to make gourmet dishes, just a big plus.

1|0
    0|0
  • Wow. A man who can cook... That sounds like my dream man..
    Well yeahh, he can be very helpful around the house ♥

I'm so glad you like cooking, and I really hope that you'll find a nice person to share it with. ♥♡

I would surely appreciate the chef skills every day ! ♥
    Congrats with that talent of yours !! ♥

0|0
    0|0
  • Chefs are like rock stars to me
    Its amazing that they can make dishes that you didn't think you would ever try and now you love.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it's a HUGE plus for a man to be able to cook. In this day and age, not every woman knows how or is interested in cooking. So you bring more to the table when you enter a relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • If you mean, knowing basic recipes and being able to cook for himself if he lives alone, then that is more of a requirment.
    If you mean being a very good cook, then that's a plus. Who wouldn't like tasting delicious recipes from time to time?

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a wonderful trait because then we can have fun in the kitchen and he's independent when it comes to making meals. Plus he can also help around the kitchen and I get to taste new meals everyday.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men should be able to cook in general and not just as a “add on” in a relationship. Lol I’d be worried if a guy didn’t know how to cook “like what has he been eating in the past? Where does he get his meals from? How does he survive?
    So I don’t see cooking as a “+” in a relationship. If a guy is unable to cook and we enter a relationship then I’d be more than willing to show him some recipes because when I’m not there to cook for him then he would know what to do. Or just even making him a small recipe folder with basic steps for him to follow.
    So it’s not a good nor a bad thing for a man to not be able to cook.

0|3
    0|0
  • Since men in my country tend to be babied a lot (quite common to live with family till marriage), any independence skill (, cooking, groceries etc) gives them points. If he lives alone he has to know how to cook at least one fancy-ish dish.

0|0
    0|0
  • No but if he can then we take turns because I don't plan on catering to anybody, that was the old me.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's nice. I think most people know how to cook and if they don't they should at least learn the basics.

0|0
    0|0
  • Amazing, its just like any other skill and is can be impressive if a guy can cook more than bacon and eggs

0|0
    0|0
  • i think anyone who can cook is a wonderful thing. it's such a useful and fun skill, what's not to love about it?

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its good but i think everyone should at least know how to cook something lol

1|2
    0|0
  • My thoughts are: good, he's not a total low-life and actually has some life skills.

0|1
    0|1
  • Uh.. you mean you didn’t cook before? As in you only ate take out?

A man that cooks isn’t or shouldn’t be a rarity. You need to be able to take care of yourself, cause I sure won’t (all the time).

0|0
    0|1
  • I think it would be for someone that doesn’t like cooking! I love cooking, would be nice to have someone cooking for me now and then but I’m okay with someone that can’t cook!

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally have a disdain for men who refuse to even try.
    You’re a godsend.

0|0
    0|1
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 40

• None of my male Friends Cooks much, and they're not enthusiastic About it when they do. I, on the other Hand, love to cook.

0|1
    0|0
    • Same. I'm ok at cooking though, but I can follow cooking instructions pretty well.

• I love cooking too, and cook all the meals in our house. That's usually for five, but at Christmas it can be for ten or more.

• Cooking is what I do when I want to eat good food. Whether women find it desirably - I honestly couldn't give a shit. If she likes it, fine. If she doesn't like it, she can go suck a dick.
    However, if she CRITICIZES the food I make... well, then there's always the front door. I hope it's raining.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love cooking. That's most of my professional career. I even worked at a 5 star restaurant once. I watched my mom cooking growing up. Learned a lot from her. Plus, I'm a good baker. I can bake bread and cookies that'll make your socks turn inside out.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love to cook and bake. So trust me when i say that when i get married in the future, i will do all the cooking and baking, unless she likes to cook too ofcourse. You know it's an art.

0|0
    0|0
  • I enjoy cooking a meal for my woman. I worked in restaurants for 30 years. I wasn't always a cook. Even when I wasn't I was learning to cook the things I liked. I need to write a cookbook. Hardest part is besides starting it, I don't measure stuff. Everyone loves my food though. In a relationship I don't want to cook every meal though.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am a really good cook, I have been cooking since I was about 12 and I love cooking, I cook my own meals, before I leave home and when I come back after work and I absolutely love cooking for other people...

0|0
    0|0
  • I can cook. I mostly make stuff in the deep fryer because that is what I like, (hash browns, tater tots, corn dogs, chicken patties, etc.) but I can also make spaghetti, tacos, hamburgers, french toast, chipped beef, and other stuff too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude, I have never met any girl that was turned off by my ability to cook. Many guys know how, but not as many as you think. Set yourself apart and own those cooking skillz!

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, I think cooking is a basic survival skill and will be required regardless of relationship, but I also think it's just unfair for guys to generally expect a girl to be good at cooking if he himself can't cook in this day and age

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to cook & almost experiment Everytime😂. Sometimes dish is very tasty. I try new recipes & change some ingredients in the recipe.
    I enjoy cooking with my roommates.
    Cooking is more interesting when you are not alone in the kitchen.

0|0
    0|0
  • i've been shopping for groceries and cooking since i was a teen because i was always left at home alone

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer when men cook for me wearing a chefs hat and apron. Just a chefs hat and apron.

I think most women like a man who can cook so that they know they can at least have a night off every once and a while, even if they do like to cook. Other women just don't like cooking at all and will be stoked that they'll almost never have to.

I enjoy cooking, though I have to be in the mood for it. I make pretty good paella and risotto. I'm working on my pasta game but I'm celiac so thats a bit trickier for me. Though the sauce is where its at anyways so I'm sure I'll get there.

I can bake a bit as well, I make my own sourdough starters and brew my own beer, kefir and do other fermenting etc.

0|1
    0|0
  • The mere question points at ''something not right''. Cooking should be a basic skill like reading or writing.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a required skill. But should probably be a joint effort between men and women. Men caring to the meat and women caring to the other stuff. Just so you don't cross contanimate.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can cook - I think it is a huge asset to have and it impresses the ladies

0|0
    0|0
  • I started cooking when I was about 12 years old and I love it, it also can help create an activity to do within a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love too cook, simple meals with complex flavors and complex meals... I will not work in a kitchen because well... it would ruin cooking for me...

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone should be able to cook as a survival skill.

0|1
    0|0
  • I enjoy cooking, however I love to do it for people I care about.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to cook, and I would presume its a +, I don't think a girl minds if you have some extra skills

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes