Things you should watch out for when getting your first Tattoo!

Getting your first tattoo should be an amazing experience, but it can also be scary and intimidating.

So, I’m here to give you some tips that make your first time a lot easier and relaxed.

If you don’t plan to get a tattoo you can share your opinion about it below, I’m interested to hear about those :)

I got my First tattoo 1 1/2 years back, I took a risk and got a full sleeve tattoo. It took 28hours in total, quite the amount for a first tattoo :D So unless you have a clear image of what you want in your head, Id advice you to start small.

Anyways, here’s my list on what to watch out for when getting a first tattoo, enjoy! :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions

Being communicative is key to having a pleasant experience. Asking questions about needles, ink, hygiene etc. is appropriate and you won’t be judged for it... so go for it! Ask anything you can think of, the artist will gladly answer all of those since it should calm you down, which will then result in a better experience for the both of you.

2. Share your feelings

this is a VERY important one, some tattoo spots can be more then painful... So if you can’t take it anymore tell your artist to take a break, he would appreciate it more than having you passed out or vomit on the floor.

3. Don’t cheap out

when getting a tattoo, you should NEVER go for the cheap option, make sure your artist knows what he’s doing and ask for references. The extra bit of money is worth it in the end, it’s a permanent image your putting on yourself, so you better make sure it looks good!

Let’s just say there’s a good reason why one artist is more expensive than the other.

4. Don't show up with empty hands

When getting a tattoo, you probably have a certain image or idea for it inside your head. Try to find something online that resembles it best or draw it yourself, it is nearly impossible to describe what you want with words. So, to be fully satisfied make sure that your artist knows what to ink on you, having images of it works best.

5. Get a second opinion

You're not the first person that’s getting a tattoo from them, so just speak up and ask what they think about it. They've seen lots of tattoos and know which spots a good or bad Idea and also which images should and shouldn’t be inked. Ultimately, it’s still your decision, but a second opinion on it (especially from an experienced Person) is very valuable (and Free!).

6. Think about the position

Lately this has become a big Issue with Face tattoos and Hand tattoos becoming more and more popular. If you deeply want it, go for it. But be sure you know about the drawbacks, imagine being a kind-hearted granny sitting in her garden with a Mike Tyson tattoo... just doesn’t fit well.

7. DONT DO IT DRUNK/HIGH

this is probably the most idiotic mistake one could do. It’s highly unlikely that you´ll enjoy what you got afterwards, so just don’t do it. It’s the principle in clubs, when drunk you go for things you might not enjoy the morning after...

8. Do your research

More than any other decision, choosing your artist carefully is the most important thing to consider when getting a tattoo. Even if you have very something specific in mind, the way a tattoo is executed will vary greatly based on who is doing the job. Instagram is a fantastic resource for searching for right tattooist, many tattoo artists post pictures of their best work, which should give you an idea of their style and what you'll be getting with your own piece. Even if you plan on walking into a parlor and choosing flash from the wall, it could look completely different based on who is actually doing the tattoo. Do your research and choose wisely.

So yeah, I hope you found this MyTake useful and learnt from it or can apply some points to your own first experience. If you already have a Tattoo please tell me about what you think about this, I’m curious if I forgot something.

If you got any questions just PM me or start a conversation in the opinions, wish you all a nice day! :)

- xTom98

91

Most Helpful Girl

• 😆this was really informative, even tho I actually don't want any tats it was really interesting to read😋, I actually watched a video like a month back, where tattoo artists shared their horror stories😵😂😂, a ton of clients either passed out or threw up

• Thank you, I appreciate it :D
      I think I saw that video too some time back, being a Tattoo artist seems to be a very entertaining job lol

• Probably realized that you're a bad kisser and moved on, sorry to hear llama... But you can distract yourself with others

• 😞😞😟😩😥😥😥, I don't want nobody else tho😩

Join the discussion

81
  • I hear tats tend to fade. Is it just the quality of the ink or what?

• its a mixture of things, it can be a poor quality ink but it also depends on the artist. Also if you get a colored one its sure to fade, good black ink doesn't really do it.

another Sidenote: getting a reink on your faded out Tattoo really hurts. Its like 10x worse then a normal one.

• Good advice. #2 is sooo important! I have one on the top of my foot and it was so painful, I nearly passed out. Cool Mytake sir!! 😊😊

• Thank you, I appreciate that 😋

What kind of image do you have on your foot?

• Tattoo artists you can pick up aids from needles or hepatitis A or B or C artist you have to trust he changed needle for each client tiny spec of blood on tattoo machine mingles with yours Risk if you get hepatitis you have to tell partner if you pass on hepatitis to a sex partner you can be sent to prison for actual bodily harm 7 to 15 years fuck tattoos

• Tattoos are definitely not for everyone. I don't have any myself and probably never will.

• Thats exactly why you dont cheap out on Tattoos, Its important that you find a artist that has good reputation. Dont trust one simply because a friend told you he's good.

• Very informative and greag take :-) Such detailed take deserves more love.

• Thanks 😋 did it out of boredom so it’s fine 😄

• Very nice take! I've been thinking about getting a tattoo in the future, so this is some nice tips and what to consider, helpful!

• This is very informative. Thanks.

• good mytake !

• Good take..

• Good tips! I have seen some tattoos I really like. Like the ones above, but I don't think I will ever get one. However it would be cool to have a map on my back and everytime I go to a new place I fill it in with a color.