My mom wants me to change my style, should I listen to her?

I have my own style that I like. I know it's not everybody's favorite but it's my own and I like it. But my mom gets upset when I wear an outfit like this, and tells me I'm going to fry my brain in that beanie, or that I should lighten up and wear less clothes... what should I do? Is she right?
My mom wants me to change my style, should I listen to her?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• do what you want young lady. It's your life, people who tell you what to do, is based on what they would do, this is the problem. Cause what one person considers garbage is another person's treasure. MY mum does this to me all the time I just laugh it off. It's water off a ducks back with me. Change your hair, change clothes, etc I am like whatever mother. Just ignore her. Take no notice of your mum. She is judging you based on things she doesn't like about herself. The saying goes when you judge another person you don't define them, you define yourself.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I get you and I get your mom too...
    I guess your style wouldn't necessarily be considered a style per se... Since it's just some winter/skiing style clothing.

I think your mom wants you to represent your family with good style - or what she considers to be good style. If it's not your own I wouldn't do it, though. If you're going to feel uncomfortable in it - don't do it.

0|0
    0|0
    • I do take offence that it's not a style. You just see one outfit, I have lots. I just like the athletic look, those pants are light, they are just meant for rain, not winter.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 24

• It depends on where you live xD If you live someplace where it's cold enough for you to avoid being uncomfortable, go for it. I think it looks good. I don't think theirs any issue with it whatsoever. Admittedly I don't know anything about fashion... then again I think fashion is an idiotic art as it's constantly changing based on the opinions of random people... people whose opinions really shouldn't have any influence over your life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dont worry wear what you like to. I like you will look adorable in this outfit. If she objects try to confront her. Tell her that it is fine and you have freedom to do it. If public likes or not its their thinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your style is pretty cool! You shouldn't change, if you feel like it's getting hot you should change to another outfit, but keep the style

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks!!! It's the athletic look I'm going for. And the pants are light, they are meant for rain so not heavy at all

• If you have work those clothes for 2+ years (I'm guessing how long you've worn) your body will fetuses to the temperature. Personally, I like girls who dress like this as opposed to more girly, frilly stuff

0|0
    0|0
    • fetuses to the temperature?

• That was a mistype "your body will adjust to the temperature." There isn't too much inherent harm in wearing the clothes because you are likely used to it by now

• yeah i'm completely used to it

• Do what you want I spent 5years of my life trying to grow my hair out really really long but my mom kept pressuring me to cut it, saying I look better with short hair no one will hair you with long hair. Cut my hair got hired at a Jon, everyone had long hair and my boss told me long or short hair he would have hired me. I felt like a ass and regret it to this day, plus my hair hasn't growing the same since then. So truest me keep your own style don't be someone your not

0|0
    0|0
  • From a guys point of view? It depends on if you look cute in it. a lot of girls do. But I think everyone should dress they way that makes them feel good and makes them look good. So that being said you may look even more flattering in other clothes is what your mom is attempting to say. Ever see the mens wearhouse commercial where the guy says. You're going to like the way you look.
    Just be yourself though in all honesty, dress the way you want to.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to explain to your mother they you're an adult now and can wear what you like. If you allow her to treat you as a child, she'll continue to do so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wear what's comfortable to you. I wear the same 10 or so pairs of basketball shorts and t-shirts, and a pair of Chuck Taylors 365 days a year, whether it's 100 degrees or 10 degrees and IDGAF.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think your look is awesome and your mom sounds a touch old world. You need to explain to her that these new space age materials that your beanie is made of will not fry your brain

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion I say don't listen to your mom to me it's not like your wearing something inappropriate you should wear what makes you feel comfortable and not worry about what your mom thinks

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Ignore her, she has no right to control the way you dress, you`re an adult now, and is not like you're wearing anything so scandalous, she must have problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everything is special and unique. if we try to resemble another , we can't be ourselves. thus , u can listen urself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do what makes you comfortable. Don't listen to others

1|0
    0|0
  • i can't exactly say that's a look but you do you boo

0|0
    0|0
    • that's just one outfit, i like the sporty/athletic look

• Its not like you are out there to rob a bank... guess she's also critical and controlling too?

0|0
    0|0
  • absolutely wrong
    you can't change your style for anyone

0|0
    0|0
  • Do what you feel is perfect for you, woman :)

1|0
    0|0
  • wear whatever you want

1|0
    0|0
  • no you have your own style

0|0
    0|0
  • wear what you feel is comfortable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls