Why are Americans so opposed to men's swim briefs, aka Speedos?

I was on a beach in a popular tourist spot in the United States and I noticed, a lot of foreign men and boys were wearing swim briefs or tight trunks, like the speedo examples below.
Why are Americans so opposed to men's swim briefs, aka Speedos?Why are Americans so opposed to men's swim briefs, aka Speedos?American men on the other hand were almost all wearing knee-length loose-fitting trunks. Why do you think American men are so opposed to swim briefs when much of the rest of the world seems to be embracing them?

#Speedo
#swimwear

710

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not American but seeing men in speedos kinda makes me uncomfortable. My dad always wears a speedo, though. 😂

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• It normal in many places in the world but somehow in the last 3 decades its become what its become in North America. It just a dam bathing suit so whats the big deal if. Ok if you have a big belly and bad body maybe you should not wear one. On the otherhand if you got a great body why not. Its not a gay thing but the younger generation seems to think so. If a girl can wear a bikini and look good so should a man be able wear a speedo type. I ve worn before and it is much more comfortable in water then stupid baggy board shorts.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Do you think men avoid it because they're afraid of associating with something they think society has labeled gay?

• Yes, and its unfortunate.
      I think board shorts suck lol. They are so dam uncomfortable. Why should men be made to wear baggy long shorts. Can t get a good tan and they drag you down in the water.

• I find baggy trunks to be a real pain while trying to swim in particular.