What does "hmm" exactly mean?

I am asking because:

1) I have seen the word "hmm" being used quite a number of times as the first word in GAGers' opinions when they answered the questions I posted on this site.

2) I have seen the word "hmm" being used quite often by people whom I was having text conversations with on my phone when I was telling them something important or serious or telling them some observations I had made. Does using "hmm" here mean that they disagreed or were doubting what I had just shared with them?

Thanks for your honest answers.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Hmm...

It's something we say in real life too. Writing a "hmm" makes it more realistic, in my opinion, and it sounds like we are thinking aloud, something we do in everyday conversation too. I guess it sends a message to readers, that the question or answer will take a little more pondering.

2|0
    0|0
  • #1. If it is used at the starting of the sentence (like: Hmm... abcdefg) it means he/she is thinking and losing the interest in conversation.

#2. If it is used as the only word in the sentence (like: Hmm..) it means this is the end of conversation and you should better leave.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks. So you think "hmm" sounds unattractive in text conversations?

• Show All
    • Asker - for me and my friends yes. We consider it as, forced goodbye.

@thewanderingme - there will always be exceptions.

• haha, indeed. (:

Most Helpful Girls

• "Hmmm" is an onomatopoeia that shows someone is thinking about something. You need other context clues to know how exactly the person is intending to use it.

1|1
    0|0
  • Hmm as in they're thinking. Imagine a hum with a question mark. I imagine people saying it while scratching their head or playing with their beard lol
    hmm

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• It means, "I am having oral sex and I can't talk." ;-D

Seriously, it means they are thinking about what has been said. I do think it implies a certain amount of skepticism.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I think it implies a certain amount of skepticism."Hmm" doesn't sound very positive to me.

• It may mean that they "disagree," and are trying not to be too aggressive in their disagreement, but the basic meaning of it is "I'm thinking about it."

It may also mean something like "You make a good point and I am changing my mind to Agree with you."

So it means "I'm thinking."

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a response to something though-provoking when you haven't yet figured out exactly what you want to say.

Depending on the context, it could convey agreement or disagreement. Typically, however, "hmm" is neutral of any judgement or it may be purposefully ambiguous to keep the recipient guessing about the sender's feelings.

0|0
    0|0
  • It denotes a pause in conversation, meant to convey that someone is thinking, or must think for a moment before they can continue to speak.

Somewhat like an audible comma.

"hmm." can also be used to imply that someone is thinking something which may be obvious, but they choose not to state what they think explicitly.

0|0
    0|0
  • "hmmmmm" is actually used to hold the listeners attention before you have reached your thought.

If you are talking to your dog, you don;t say hmmmmm because the dog can;t understand you anyway.

hmmmmmm tells the listeners that you are about to say something so they don't drift off or change the subject

0|0
    0|0
  • It means one of these:-
    1) They want to imply that their text/opinion has been posted after a long thought
    2) They're at a loss for words!

1|0
    0|0
  • it´s just used to indicate that quite some thought had to go into the following statement and that one is probably not that sure about it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's just something you say when your thinking, don't you ever go hmmm when your thinking deeply about something.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes, recently I went "hmmmmmm" a few times in my head when the bank teller asked me a few questions which I felt were unrelated to banking and I was annoyed :( But I have never used "hmm" verbally.

Most of the time it was negative when I went "hmm" inside my head in situations #2.

• It can be used in that way to.

• It’s a way to show someone that you’re thinking. It just makes talking to people on technology more realistic and lifelike.

0|0
    0|0
  • it means he or she is thinking and has no real comment

1|0
    0|0
  • i use hmmmm a lot... it means i'm thiking at the moment i post the opinion :-P

1|0
    0|0
  • "Hmm" means "I'm thinking". I don't see why people would use it in text speak though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmmm. . Hmmm. . Hmmmm. . .. Hmmmmmm... HMMMMMMMMM...

0|0
    0|0
  • hahahah you are talking turkish person? dont you?

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm It means nothing its just a sound

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmmmmmmm... I don't know

0|0
    0|0
  • Its usually used to let the other person know they are thinking or pondering about something... maybe either you said or something else related to your conversation.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 13

• Most times it means I'm thinking. If I use it by itself that means I either don't have much to say, or don't want to say what's on my mind. Or I don't wanna talk anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • It means you're pondering.
    hmmm
    Or I guess a variety of other things. That's why I hate texting, you never know the tone and could be reading it completely wrong

1|0
    0|0
  • When I use hmm it's usually to show the person that I'm listening/reading what they're saying but don't really have much input on it. I neither agree nor disagree with them at that time.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use it often.
    for me it means
    Let me think on it.
    :))

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s the internal sound a brain makes when thinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • It usually means someone is thinking. Some people tend to type/text exactly what they're thinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's just like they are thinking about their response, that's kinda how I use it

0|0
    0|0
  • when i use hmm, it normally means im thinking haha :)

0|0
    0|0
  • If I'm texting certain people it means I'm pissed lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Just means they're thinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • 'I don't know, but pretty sure its gonna be no'

0|0
    0|0
  • Thinking what to say next

0|0
    0|0
  • Whenever anyone has used Hmmm to me on a post, a sarcastic comment always followed.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes