What does "hmm" exactly mean?

I am asking because:

1) I have seen the word "hmm" being used quite a number of times as the first word in GAGers' opinions when they answered the questions I posted on this site.

2) I have seen the word "hmm" being used quite often by people whom I was having text conversations with on my phone when I was telling them something important or serious or telling them some observations I had made. Does using "hmm" here mean that they disagreed or were doubting what I had just shared with them?

Thanks for your honest answers.

1519

Most Helpful Guys

• Hmm...

It's something we say in real life too. Writing a "hmm" makes it more realistic, in my opinion, and it sounds like we are thinking aloud, something we do in everyday conversation too. I guess it sends a message to readers, that the question or answer will take a little more pondering.

• #1. If it is used at the starting of the sentence (like: Hmm... abcdefg) it means he/she is thinking and losing the interest in conversation.

#2. If it is used as the only word in the sentence (like: Hmm..) it means this is the end of conversation and you should better leave.

• Thanks. So you think "hmm" sounds unattractive in text conversations?

• Asker - for me and my friends yes. We consider it as, forced goodbye.

@thewanderingme - there will always be exceptions.

• haha, indeed. (:

Most Helpful Girls

• "Hmmm" is an onomatopoeia that shows someone is thinking about something. You need other context clues to know how exactly the person is intending to use it.

• Hmm as in they're thinking. Imagine a hum with a question mark. I imagine people saying it while scratching their head or playing with their beard lol
    hmm