Do you care about being popular?

Do you care about whether or not people consider you to be "popular"? Also would you say that you are a "popular" person?

2|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't need the approval of others to feel happy in life. If anything, being popular means that you have more stress on your plate that you don't need to satisfy your fans' demands, giving up personal time for yourself to keep up with your popularity and such, all of this for either money and/or attention. I understand there are people who love and crave the attention of others a lot but there's only so much one person can handle with a large enough fan base. As long as I'm receiving affection and love from my girlfriend, my family and friends, that's all I really need to be happy!

Honestly, I prefer to have good quality alone time with the people I care about over having to constantly please a fan base. It's like what many people have said before, "It's quality over quantity" and I couldn't agree more! Being popular doesn't mean your life will be better.

2|1
    0|0
  • Had the chance in school to be the popular kid and there is always expectation from other people (other students in this case) and it was overrated expectations, not even realistic ones. To get pressured! sure it might work so i can be better in things, but other wise ! to be popular now days with the crazy social medias and how people believe every single lie or story just because it's posted online! No thanks, am doing good minding my life and business and am happy about it, no need to be recognized just for doing what i like.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't care about being popular. But when I was at school i was very popular, because I was the one who stood up for vulnerable people who were being bullied. I was a feisty child and teenager. And I always intervened if other kids were bullied.

I'm popular at work , because my work colleagues turn to me if they need help or advice

2|0
    0|0
  • When I was younger I cared about being popular and having a lot of friends. As I got older my interest on wanting to be the girl that every guy flees to, big birthday clique on my birthday all changed through my experiences. You outgrown a specific mentality and the littlest things that used to interest you changes.

I now worry about money, finding someone to settle with, and my education. It may sound quick for someone who is 19 but I’ve found my priorities and wants at a young age and being in a big crowd is far from what I’m interested in.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 107

• I do if I'm honest, a little bit. But not so much for self-image. I just find that being popular means you have a social event to attend to every weekend, can network and meet so many people, and find so many opportunities (even career opportunities as well as love interests and so forth).

All kinds of doors open up if you can grow an army of acquaintances and friends who really like you and want you to come to their invitations. I've even been treated to dinners that cost thousands of dollars with fancy champagne for free by just befriending the right types of people (an owner of an Oyster bar who really took interest in me and invited me to his restaurant and treated me). And lifelong VIP access to a night club (normally costs $50 each time to get access to VIP lounge, but I got it free for the res of my life through my connections with the owner and staff). I've had lucrative job offers as well, and met so many nice people along the way.

>> Also would you say that you are a "popular" person?

Not so much these days. I've mellowed down a great deal after marriage and kind of lost interest in knowing so many people that I have a birthday party invitation practically every weekend. Also most of the people I got to know in my 20s when I might have been the most "popular" have mostly moved or gotten married, and it's more difficult to hang out these days. I think I still have the basic kind of skills down like the ability to befriend and charm complete strangers if I wanted to really be popular again. I got a lot of practice at doing that before. But these days I don't have as much interest; I'm a bit more settled and not so much of a free spirit anymore looking to hang out with brand new groups of people and go on adventures with them.

0|0
    0|0
    • It even helps for career as I see, since it's often not the most skilled people in the antisocial aspects of the job that get promoted to the highest positions. It's often the people who command some level of popularity among their colleagues. So I see it as very useful to develop the social skills and appeal required to become popular for all sorts of aspects in life, from finding the love of your life to being promoted to the top positions to having all kinds of opportunities presented that you never anticipated.

But I see it as a "skill". How many friends you have is irrelevant as I see it. It's more about how many friends you can have, if you want.

• The one kind of angle I have that helps with the whole popularity game is being biracial. I used to think that was a huge disadvantage until I overcame my shyness and found so many people interested in where I'm from, why I look so unusual, etc. And then whenever I went to a new place, I'd find so many "voluntary tour guides" inviting me to tour me around, meet their friends, and treating me to all sorts of stuff for free. So that biracial sort of thing started to become really useful -- not a handicap as I used to think.

• Being "popular" only applies to people from the age of 12 through 18. After high school it becomes irrelevant. I couldn't care less about any kind of social ranking. It doesn't apply to me. Individuality and quality of character is what is most important. Being "popular" assures neither.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. If I could put effort into caring less, I would. I don't need outside approval to know who I am or for validation. I want few friends, and a family. Quality over quantity. If i ever DO become popular for whatever reason, I would own it, acknowledge it, and do my best to stay out of the spotlight. Popularity can be good, but it can also be a poison.

1|0
    0|0
  • I will admit to a degree, yes. I like to be liked and accepted. Im a sociable person by nature.

But I won't suck up to people and do token actions to "gain points" with someone to gain their acceptance. Any "popularity" that I may have, has to be organic.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do care. If I get popular myself one day - in a wider, public sense - there must be something wrong with me. It would indicate that I am acceptable or comparable to the average majority of people. I don't seek ''average'' for myself. Sure, to be liked by others is a good feeling and it often helps to work out good results (socially, or economically). But overall harmony also causes stagnation and sloth.

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as I'm not being bullied or anything, I couldn't care any less about status. I do however know and can talk to anyone in my class whenever I want. It's kind of like being popular but on a more personal level with none of the status bullshit.

I like my school.

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly if I'm popular it means I'm not saying anything important. I'm not in the business of trying to please everyone so if I'm not pissing anyone off I'm not talking about anything important enough.

1|0
    0|0
  • Do I care? No.

Am I popular? Maybe?
    Depends on your definition of popular. Do people ask about me? Yes.

I was about to justify it by saying I don't get out much, so I'm rare. It dawns on me that isn't exactly true.

1|0
    0|0
  • nope never have never will... those who I let into my life are all I need, but have to be decent people.. I dont trust easily so all who are in my circle have proven themselves time and again :)

1|1
    0|0
  • nope, not into ego, happy with who i know i can trust, not need big group to know who i am or think gives importance & fake people,

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, only to the extent that allows me to have friends, occasionally go to parties and date good looking girls. But being really "popular" sucks, plus you unavoidably waste your life on social media that way

1|0
    0|0
  • As a guy whos been both. i think i prefer being just average. sure you get lots of attention when your popular. but not being someans that if someone befriends you it probably because they like you. not your status

1|0
    0|0
  • God no that would be the thing I am least interested in. I am a "Likeable" rather than a "Popular" person

1|1
    0|0
  • No. But I do care if I'm loved or not. Everyone should be loved. This life is too short to go around hating others. I personally try to be friendly around others and try to put a smile on their faces. Life would be better if we treated each other with more respect and kindness. I know not everyone wants to do that or would do that, but at least the few of us that do or would can do our part and begin to make this world a better place again - even if it's only a little bit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Popular is an image you create and surround yourself with. If you feel the need to be popular you are wasting your time. Be someone that people recognize for a good reason instead of trying to fit in with a fad.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't worry about it. It tends to take care of itself if you just live your life and take care of business.

1|0
    0|0
  • No i don't , i want my life private , i know people who worth my time and i their time. I don't want to go out and journalist start taking pics and asking me questions. My circle know who i am and what i can do.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never sought popularity. I was naturally an outcast. I had mixed feelings about it, but I preferred it to the pressures of everybody watching you, looking up to you, or trying to bring you down.

1|0
    0|0
  • no, i don't care and i don't want to be popular either.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope, I don't care because most of this becoming popular is related to pleasing people, show off, glamour lifestyle with no substance

1|1
    0|0
  • as long as you care about outer feedback and approval you can't find yourself nor can u have integrity. reflect your own self, decide who u want to be and be that person no matter what happens.

1|0
    0|0
  • "Popular" people are popular for conforming to idiotic trends, being unintelligent, fake, and having no respect for themselves. I've been an outsider all my life, and don't wish to change that.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never had a desire to be famous or popular. Maybe it is being a Wayne family member, in the end I am already popular.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm too old to really need anyone's approval to enjoy my life.

1|1
    0|0
  • Never have. Don't care what most people think in general.

1|1
    0|0
  • As you get older less fucks you shall give when it comes to this aspect of life. I'm at 0 fucks right now, have been for many years.

1|1
    0|0
  • Popular is nice but I'm too introverted to be popular. I settle for being nice. Most of the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never act to be popular
    I am considered popular , without trying
    My personality is about being nice to everyone , respect them and be friendly

1|0
    0|0
  • To the extent that people recognize me for what I am and not what they see when they look at me on first glance.

1|0
    0|0
  • Couldn't care less to be honest.
    I'd rather be myself instead of just acting out for the sake of being fake and popular.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 62

• I can honestly say I've never been popular nor have I ever had the desire to be.

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess I like it when people view me in high esteem but I don't base my life on other people's opinions of me - I know there are many things in life that are more important than a good reputation. I also like having options socially and being able to interact with people I like and admire so popularity helps with that but I try not to let it get to my head cause I don't want to become a superficial person who is focused only on surface physical qualities

1|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. Being popular is in one sense a curse. You always need to be more and more popular and this can lead to problems and issues because you start competing for popularity with others. That could destroy friendships

1|0
    0|0
  • Pretty and Popular in School as a Rule because I Mixed and Marched with Everyone under the Sun, hun. Out of School, I continued to Have many Friends but being Popular? I didn't care as Long as Their Respected was There. xx

1|0
    0|0
  • NOOOOOOO!!! I never have nor never will. I can't imagine anything worser then everyone knowing my business, being the centre of attention and people acting fake around me because they want me to like them. I find the whole idea of popularity amongst people so stupid.

1|0
    0|0
  • No I kinda like to do my own thing and I hate following the crowd and fitting in. I like to be different I will never be popular and I am completely fine with that. Not everyone is going to like me and that's cool...

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t care. I am how I am, and try to be the best I can be. I am not gonna change for someone else to like me, I am not a follower, so take me or leave me. I care about being the best I can be, having people in my life who are for real, being kind, etc. But being popular for th sake of it is just not worth it or important at all to me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe in high school but once thats over, being the most popular kid in school doesn't get you anywhere in the real world. It doesn't get you a job, it doesn't pay your bills, doesn't put food on the table or a roof over your head. So no i don't think people care about being popular, but i do think people want companionship from others from time to time.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. I couldn't care less about popularity. I just want to be myself. It's better to have a few real people in life, than a lot people who are around you because you're popular - and the vicious circle goes on.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope. If someone and i mean anyone wants to be my friend they can... being popular to me is cool, but its not something i would brag about bc its not what i am aiming in my life. I only aim for honesty, trustworthy, and respect.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never have, never will.
    Where I'm from (and maybe the rest of the world) you have to act and dress a specific way to be popular and it's just not me and I HATE fake people. So I rather have zero friends than many fake ones.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't care. AND yes people tend to gravitate towards me... I prefer my small real circle of friends and family. I need to really connect with people in order to have a meaningful and fruitful relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly, it would feel nice but it would feel odd. Growing up transgender and being overtly feminine didn’t make me as popular as it made me a bullied kid. At this point as an adult I’m a happy person and I forgave the bullies. It didn’t leave scars. So no, I don’t care about being popular. People who love me will love me for me, not for superficial reasons but for the core of my soul!

1|0
    0|0
  • No, Popularity is silly, eventually as you get older it's hard to keep up with everyone and your left over with the people that have been loyal to you x

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. In my work I want to blow everyone away and get paid but I don’t want to the face of it. Like seriously, I’m trying to be as anonymous as possible.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do, I'm a people person and get bored alone very easily lol. If my friends just stopped talking to me I would go cry in a corner 😩

1|0
    0|0
  • Popularity isn’t really important to me. I’m content with having just a few close friends. I do have a lot of friends but I don’t think I’d consider myself popular.

1|0
    0|0
  • To an extent. Im happy that im surrounded by just a few very close friends, but also i feel like i may be missing out on big events or gossip

1|0
    0|0
  • No and no. No one is popular in college. You just get your degree and gtfo.

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean I used to a lot and a part of me still cares about fitting in but I'm working on not giving a shit anymore.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I'd like to be popular but I'm not popular. But in a different way than high school popular.

2|0
    0|0
  • I dont care about being popular but I'd rather be not unpopular. By that I mean I dont want to be actively avoided but at the same time I'm happy with a low key social life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really tbh, and besides what's the point in having other people like u, when u may not necessarily like yourself?

1|0
    0|0
  • I shouldn't but i do. I've always been used to being the odd one out or the different one while everyone gets on with one another, sometimes i do wish i was the 'popular' one

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I've never cared about being popular nor do I think of myself as being popular.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I never cared about it. I have a few of my friends that I love and trust and I don't need others opinion or superficial friendships.

1|0
    0|0
  • Used to. Not anymore honestly. And I admire those who don’t care about it

1|0
    0|0
  • no I don't lol and I'm well known I guess but I wouldn't consider myself popular

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not popular at all and I don't care about it as much

1|0
    0|0
  • no one even knows I exist, but im more than okay with it lel

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes