How would you feel if you found out your boyfriend/girlfriend "settled" for you?

Has it been done to you?

Have you done it to someone?

2015

Most Helpful Girl

• If they "settled" in one regard but "won" (for lack of a better word) on other characteristics, there's no problem. For example, if a girl thought she was smarter than her boyfriend and so settled in that regard, but she was also really impressed by how confident and charismatic he is, I think that's okay (and to some extent normal - to a large extent, I think we admire in our significant others the traits we don't see in ourselves). As long as one is still attracted to and impressed by the other, I don't think that's really settling.

On the other hand, if a person thinks (not thought, at one moment that one day when he/she was feeling weird, but thinks) that they settled for the other person, that is not okay. I would be hurt, I think, but I think it's better to be with someone who really genuinely likes you, even if that takes longer to find. I would want to have a talk with my boyfriend about why he thought that, how long he has thought that, and why he stays with me if he thinks he could do significantly better (since at that point, I would be thinking about leaving him).

• I feel it sucks to be "settled for" on any level. It is a horrible feeling...