Goth: An Explanation, And Why We're Humans Too

Okay, so I've noticed that people are/have been blaming goths for a lot of shit they're not doing and stereotyping them VERY unfairly. As a goth, I felt I needed to address this. This will be a more serious MyTake than the ones I normally post. Here we go.

Columbine

Alright, so this is probably one you were expecting, although it is almost twenty years old as of 2018. Let's put any, *ahem*, preference I may have for Marilyn Manson aside for now and just focus on how fucking unfair him being blamed for the Columbine shooting. Oh, it was two kids who shot up a school, and rumor got out that they liked Marilyn Manson's music, so then he was blamed for the shooting. If you want to hear him talk about it, watch the documentary Bowling for Columbine. Note: MarilynMansonsSlvt has never actually watched Bowling for Columbine for fear that she would be too turned on to absorb the information.

Lemme just rant for a second. So, of course we're not going to blame society, which is actually responsible. We're not even going to blame the kids who actually motherfucking shot up the school! But we need someone to blame, so, uhhh... ooh, that goth rockstar! He wears face paint and swears in his music, so he must be a bad guy, and of course we're not going to take anything he says seriously!

Hmm, doesn't that last sentence sound familiar? Oh, yeah! That's how goth kids are often treated!

He wears face paint and swears in his music, so he must be a bad guy, and of course we're not going to take anything he says seriously!

Satanism

A lot of people have the idea in their heads that all goths are Satanists, and/or all Satanists are goths. People assume that both of these groups wear black and seem "creepy" or "not right in the head", so they became connected. Let me just say it once, loud and clear: All goths are not Satanists, and all Satanists are not goths! In fact, not all Satanists even literally "worship" Satan, since LaVeyan Satanism is more about worshipping the God and Devil in yourself. But that's a rant for another time. Moving on.

Drugs, self harm, drugs, vandalism, etc.

I believe the Gothtypes wiki puts this one best:

There is no subculture that owns self harm or drugs, and Goths are typically peaceful in nature, they don't like destructive acts, especially on graveyards. People of all types have the ability to feel sad, and hurt themselves. Just because someone is a Goth, does NOT mean that they self harm or are depressed. Drugs are also not specified to any subculture, and Goths will be less than amused to be accused of using them. The older ones may have a drink and cigarette here and there, but hard drugs are absolutely not affiliated with this subculture in any way. The Goths adore graveyards and classical, fine expression, so why they would vandalize anything would be a complete mystery. Just because Goths wear dark clothes, dark makeup and have piercings, tattoos, and interesting or different tastes in music, doesn't mean they're bad people, drug fiends, depressed, or destructive hooligans in any shape or form. It also doesn't mean that someone HAS to be depressed in order to be a Goth. There are very many who are happy with their life and their style. In fact, many Goths are confident with themselves because they love the way they look and the music they listen to.

I do struggle with depression, but I have since I was literally in preschool. It has absolutely nothing to do with my love for the goth subculture.

Summing everything up

So why exactly did I use this MyTake to say this instead of writing some cute fanfiction, which would have been way more fun for me? Well, it's because I want people to understand that goths are normal people, and you should treat us just like you would treat anyone else. Now, it is okay to ask someone in the goth subculture about their music/clothes/etc., but just make sure you do it politely. There is nothing worse than someone shouting "GOOOTTHHH" at you from across the street. It's like, yeah, I'm goth. So? Who knows, you may even decide to join the subculture if you end up liking it. If you have any questions about goth, Columbine, my experiences, or anything else related, please put them in your opinion. Bye!

xx

~ Mrs Manson

29
18

Have An Opinion?

Most Helpful Girl

• Poppykate

Being Goth is nothing new. People used to dress as goths as far back as the regency period and back further. Express yourself how you see fit! πŸ‘πŸΌ Oh by the way, if someone yells goth at you from across the street. Just yell β€˜white ass’ back at them!

Is this still revelant?
    • Poppykate

Ohhh.. 😊 you are so sweet! 🍭 Thanks for the MHG!

Most Helpful Guys

• Anonymous

The perpetrators of Columbine are to be remembered not as goth, but as shitty ass fucking murderers.

Is this still revelant?
  • TheUglyMan

You marlyn Manson wannabes need baptizing

Is this still revelant?

1727
  • OlderAndWiser

Goths go to considerable lengths to make it clear that they don't want to be a part of the mainstream. We who are mainstream get that message loud and clear. So we think you are different but you want us to think that you are "normal." Well. . . "normal" people don't devote a part of their life to making sure that they look different, so. . . what is it you REALLY want us to think?

Part of your myTake focused on placing responsibility where it truly belongs, so. . . shouldn't goths take responsibility for the fact that we think they are different?

• ultimega

Interesting take

I hate the fact they treat us Goths like we're not people. Just because our darkly inclined aesthetic does not suit the norms of society.
    Rather than actually tackling the key issues such as lack of mental health awnaress and offering support they pin the blame on things they don't or try not understand in order to cover it up.

Makes me made sometimes.

• AlienParasite

Oooh I've seen that documentary. I liked it, I suggest you to watch it complete if you are bored one day. You are not going to like every part as much as the frames where Marilyn Manson appearsz but it's interesting, also funny the South Park's collaboration part.

• Trippintfout

South parks take on thisnis the best! You conformist )

• @Trippintfout conformist? That hurt :'C

• Trippintfout

What they say in that episode, not directed at you!

• englisc

What do you enjoy about being a goth? Why are you a goth?

• Why are you the way you are?
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• englisc

I'm the way I am because of my beliefs. I guess what I'm trying to understand is what goths stand for? I don't really understand it and am none the wiser from this take - all I got from this take was that you're not satanists, you're not criminals, just normal people etc. More about what it isn't than what it is. You also say that you're normal people but you guys also choose to dress in a certain way, identify as goths etc. You differentiate yourself from normal people in some ways, and I wondered if there's a reason for that other than "just because"?

• Grimthrones

Being goth is just being different so we don't really stand for anything it's us being individual, we don't all look the same and we don't all share the same interest. That's what I think at least

• DarganKorodanya

Why express yourself with darker things when it only hurts your reputation? You can believe in individuality, and being yourself, while also looking normal. I don't see it as a culture, I see it as people trying to express something that is already being expressed.

• It doesn't hurt my reputation. And if I look "normal", it defeats the purpose. I should be able to look like me, no matter if that's normal or not.
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Mitinal

I dont know why people judge Ghost and such. I dont fucking care, wear a potato bag if it suits you... I only just people who act like stupid or dumb, i dont judge by hair, clothes or face. Mainly because if someone judged me by this, I would fail on every point... Be yourself, its your life, you should be happy.

• yucychan

I like goth. Tbh, I think its beautiful and dark.
    I couldn't care less if people think my clothes and preferences in music are weird, and are always trying to put me down because of it. There will always be people like that.

• xEmmorixX

That's as ridiculous as people who try to blame video games as the cause of violent behavior. It's obvious people like this have deeper issues.

• Lance1965

Great take. It is about time someone posted something like this. As a life-long metal fan I can relate.

• Edanurus

Most people don't think that, the main reason people dislike goths is because of the loud obnoxious ones who look down on the "mainstream sheep". Also the hipocracy of being called a "conformist" by group of people who are completely conforming to their own subculture.

You yourself use to constantly call people conformist, you can't be condecending to someone then expect them to treat you with respect.

• Wolframium

I like this. This is needed. Very much. And I also like goths and that style in general.
    People are stupid and simple. They usually don't get the subtle differences and nuances. We live in society, where people use Twitter, so that's the result.

• RIVERTAY888

There should be rights for goths and more rights they are normal people

• I agree
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• RIVERTAY888

Thanks l always stand up for goths when other guys pick on them in town where l stay in scotland we are all human and want to be left alone to do our own thing

• This rant should've been written in in 1999. Not 2018. I was a goth for 10 years and Goths are incredibly full of shit. They used to be picked on for being different but nowadays goths are be bullies and the elitists who need to get the fuck over themselves.

• 11dog22

Personally if your going to gather good information. Never use Wikipedia. About anyone can open it an type ram-done information. I did it few times to update my thoughts. But that was then.

If you find an article or combination of information. It’s good to references.

Quotes you used alway give credits.

Good paperwork but give it a Good effort.

As for personal thoughts and depths. Or conclusion. Need to reflect your point more. But still great effort.

My over all thoughts: If your going to dress like a stereotype. Don’t be surprised how people judge. Because as much as we like to say people don’t. People do.

• Kaneki05

Well i am just a stright up goth who is a satanist and a freak.
    So people if you wanna see me as creepy who does drugs and self harms and is suicidal i welcome it.

• spunkygiraffe

I don't really know what makes a goth a goth, an emo an emo, or a scene a scene. ( Or what makes all of these different from each other) I certainly have no problem with people of these categories, now that I think of it, some people in my grade (school classmates) fall into the goth-like area. (Dress-wise, personality-wise, and music-wise.)
    Of course goths are humans too, nobody should ever treat someone terribly or think of them as a lesser person because of that person's style or untrue stereotypes.
    Also, I dislike the fact that people think they can demean another person by stating whatever group they're in. Calling somebody a goth, isn't particularly insulting, it;s ridiculous. When people call me a nerd, I smile and agree, because I own it. Meant to be not-nice, but I couldn't care less.

• Wowgirl10q

Good job

• Parkwayvwhitechapel

It's kind of looked down upon as misfits because wearing all black, black trench coat, black boots, kind if scares people

• Trippintfout

Look, saying Marilyn Manson was responsible for Columbine was never taken seriously, ok? Playing violent video games like Doom (big back then) were much more part of that conversation, and of course gun control. So unfair to saying goth people are victimized for something 15-20 years later that they were never victimized for at the time. Yes- they get a bad rap on devil stuff, fair. In terms of drugs and self harm... I agree with the drug wrap but not a self harm assumption. I think you are taking everything ever said about a goth person and acting like it’s an everyday slight, and really only some of what you say is true.

• MrBurke

To be honest I have no clue why I read this I have a friend that's goth I don't treat her differently than any of my other friends

• Ciscoin

Maybe it's because this has never affected me directly, but I had no idea prejudices and ill will was so often directed at goths. Perhaps it was a product of my (mostly) inclusive upbringing. Maybe it's because this topic has never, and most likely, will never be of true concern to me. Suppose it's even a product of your strawmanning so you had a reason to make this post. I don't really know and in the grand scheme of things, I probably won't care either.
    I will say this, however. What I know of goth culture has been so deeply established and cultivated that many people have hardly given it a second thought when presented with it in nearly a decade. Perhaps the problem is not nearly as prevalent as you seem to make it out to be, and those that berate you for it are vocal minority that those within your subculture seem to think represent that of a large chunk of society as a whole.

• JustWorthlessMe

It's just the very few "desperate to be different" types who give others a bad name.

• Muhammad1999

Goths put too much makeup that will damage them overtime.

• HereIbe

Silly me, I thought goth was all about the sexiness of black attire.

• Nightranger

I never thought being goth was a problem. Can I ask why are you goth

• QueenofCups

OMG this is brilliant.

• Smegskull

Goths the group of "non conformists" who all dress the same and listen to the same music.

• GayHowellMeme

I’m emo and we’re humans too

• DracoLuciusMalfoy

Still inferior to me (Pureblood). No offense.

• XD Draco is my favorite character in Harry Potter, had a huge crush on him
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• 0112358

Of course. Goths all want to be seen as slythetins. Even though most of them are ravenclaws :p

• @0112358 >:( heyyy
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• ILikeRamenNoodles

Read Luke 7 : 40-43.

• Uh
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Sorry I had to put in something because you were creeping me out but I left a nicer message.

• what?
      why am i creeping you out?
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• blubblubblub

interesting, cool take

• BonnieBunny

I love gothic stuff

• Secretgardenblood

Nice take

• Interesting myTake

• Anonymous

I don't blame goths, I blame morons who ignore the mentally ill, and our leaders for making the game so rigged that nihlism is the only sane response to current conditions.

• Anonymous

Almost no one looks at goths like that anymore. The pity bandwagon went that way. If you hurry you just might catch it.

• Um, I get bullied at school for being goth sooo
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

That's school. Kids will pick on anyone that's different than them. I got bullied in school because a certain boy liked me, soooo...

• At least a boy liked you
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

How do you separate real goths from the pretenders? Is there such thing as goth wannabes?

• Posers, and yeah. Hot Topic shoppers, only listen to Slipknot, try too hard
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

As far as I know goth don't want to be... Uhm... "normal", but yeah maybe that is stereotypical. But i always come with the question, What is "normal" for you? Cause what is "normal" for you is most likely different for someone else. Why I'm asking this. To make you realize that there is no use to post this cause there will always be people that think otherwise. As some are to stubborn to believe it. I do see your point. But i find it a bit 50/50 the way you talk about it. It is like metalheads. How people see them. People like to confuse metalheads with goths which is annoying. But those people always exsists. The either don't want to believe it. Or just don't care.

• Anonymous

Okay

• Anonymous

What exactly IS goth? I've always kind of wondered and have never really understood the meaning behind it.

• a culture
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

What kind of culture? Like, what is the underlying principle behind it? Can you elaborate? I really just want to learn about it, and you seen like the gal to ask! :)

• Okay, we're a subculture into darker things. This includes metal/music with darker themes, wearing black, darker aesthetic and makeup, etc. We stand for individuality and being yourself.
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

I didn't know shit about the shooting expect for the fact that it happened. I don't think goth are Satanist. I disagree with the self harm point too. I just don't like their sense of style. Also, why do you like Marilyn Manson?

• He's smart, talented, and sexy as fuck
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

I feel like you're sexy and if you'll stop being goth, you'll be even more sexy.

• Not gonna happen
      But thanks <3
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

Fuck outta here with this emo bullshit.

• xEmmorixX

Sideways for attention
      Long way for results
      Jk jk just a joke

• @xEmmorixX who are you going to cross
      xx
      ~ Mrs Manson

• Anonymous

No offense but I rarely hear anyone talling about goths. It doesn't seem like most people care around here but I'm also from NYC so I don't know. Maybe its different.

I'm the furthest thing from goth - total fashionista, very femme - and I really dont care about the fact that you or anyone else is a goth. I never have. Live your life, do what you want. As long as you're not hurting anyone or hurting yourself, then I couldn't give two shits if your personal style doesn't match mine. Any adult who is upset over other adults being goths needs to sit the fuck down and get a life. It's not that serious and we're all different.

However, it is possible that people who struggle with certain psychological issues, self-harm, depression, what have you, may be attracted more to themes in certain types of music or subcultures. Music that mentions or glamorizes unhealthy relationships with the self will attracted certain groups of people more than others. So be realistic and logical in your assesment of your subculture as well. Its easy to be defensive about aspects of our identity, but hardly anything in this world comes with zero negatives.

• Anonymous

YOur still a. Bum