Ask Yourself: Is Time Magazine Just Trying To Play To Both 'Politicized' Sides Of The Sexual Assault System

LittleSally

As you all must know by now the People of the Me Too movement were named Time Magazine's 'person of the year'.

Now...the second person - the runner up so to say - was Donald Trump, the president of the United States who was accused of sexual assault and harassment by over 16 different women.

Is this a situation where Time magazine is trying to play both sides by giving an 'olive branch' to Donald as well as naming the victims their more important candidate of the year?

Were the 'Me Too' movement people chosen as No.1 because there were so many of them?

If it was just one person would they even get mentioned in the Time magazine? The answer, of course, is no...they'd be forgotten in less than a fraction of a second... Because for cases like this the only power is in the numbers and the public exposure.

Demi Lovato, the singer and actress, has stated this about the situation:

A pretty great observation in my opinion!

So...is Time magazine just trying to appease everyone hence becoming hypocrites in the process?

Leave your opinions below!

#TimeMagazine #Hypocrisy

11
2

Most Helpful Guy

• Trumpster666
    I would personally be insulted if I was named man of the year as I would be joining the ranks of Hitler, Stalin (twice), Owen D. Young, Pierre Laval, Wallis Simpson, Chiang Kai-shek, Harry S. Truman, Queen Elizabeth II, Nikita Khrushchev, Lyndon B. Johnson (twice), Richard Nixon (twice), King Faisal, Anwar Sadat , Ruhollah Khomeini, George H. W. Bush, Ted Turner, Bill Clinton (twice), George Bush jr (twice), Vladimir Putin, Barrack Obama (twice), Ben Bernanke, Mark Zuckerberg, Angela Merkel.
    It's the same with the Novel peace prize, quite a few monsters have won it.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• JustAnotherGirlie
    Well it’s not like POTY means you helped anyone per se. Just means you started a lot of conversation. And as president, Trump has started a ton of shit that didn’t even need to happen. So yeah, I’d say he deserves the cover. But the women from “Me Too” definitely changed the culture of the United States.
    I’m appreciative of them because it makes dating so much easier. Any man that says anything negative about SEXUAL PREDATORS being held accountable for their actions, is someone best left alone.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

110
  • LeoLionEye
    I believe that the choice of the #MeToo people is nothing more than a fluff piece. As for Trump what the fuck did he even do in the last year other than act like a fool. In all honesty I believe both choices to be bullshit. They literally couldn't find anyone better then these two options. Neither deserve it.
    • Too be fair past time magazine nomination were some of the worst human beings tgat ever lived.

• pervertedjester
    Or just trying to highlight half of the #metoo issue because "men can't be abused."
    • *Since men came out with the #metoo movement I also find it weird they weren't really mentioned...

• Viperkiss

Male victims don’t matter.

• BrileyCat
    he/_/_ 0 . since no one mentioned it . I-Moved-On-Her-like-A-Bitch-President Trump
    was named person of the year by Time last year 2016 . wtf . does he deserve it twice?

the me too movement represents one of the most important issues of this century .
    or any century in the history of relations between males and females .
    it's an issue that will change history .
  • WhistleForTheChoir
    The Person of the Year isn't any comment on the person's quality of character, but rather their influence. If you ask me, Donald Trump probably SHOULD have been the person of the year. He's very influential. Possibly the most influential Oompa-Loompa that the Confederacy of Fake Conservatives could've ever produced.
  • sketchy
    No. I think a lot of people just don't understand what the award actually is. It's not given for doing something positive, and winners are not necessarily to be admired or seen as role models. It is awarded purely for having a major influence on world events - for better or for worse.

Many past winners and runners-up have been awful people, such as Hitler, the leader of ISIS, and of course last year's winner.

Bearing that in mind, I don't think it's at all surprising or inappropriate that Trump and the MeToo people should both be in the running (and Harvey Weinstein could just as easily have won, since it all started with him).
  • Omega_brie
    "If it was just one person would they even get mentioned in the Time magazine? ... they'd be forgotten because for cases like this the only power is in numbers and public exposure."

That doesn't make TIME a hypocrite, it just makes them as bad as every other person and institution in this world.
  • oddwaffle
    Most of these are subjective views. More or less stuff to sell their papers. I wouldn't put much into something without solid objective standards.

It's like the art industry. Some rich due bought a boat load of paintings and have the curators and the group of "reviews" and famous people to give a good value judgement. They would make the paintings famous and expensive. Then the dude would loan the paintings for free to museums (of those curators) get a hefty tax deduction while the museums get more funding for 'expensive' exhibitions or just milk the public with freebies.
  • LegateLanius
    Time magazine has named many horrible people as their people of the year.
  • 8string
    Hypocrisy? that's a pretty huge insult to him on their part...
    god can't women just be satisfied, just once?
  • HamAndCheese
    Dunno, I don't read any of these tabloids unless someone else has a copy they no longer want.
  • Stamps
    I find both to be undeserved.