Guys- Hot vs pretty?

First off: I know this is a post about appearances (cliche eh?! Yes I know...alas I fall) Please note that I don't mean to sound superficial. That isn't my intention and if anyone feels I've come off that way then I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I'm just wondering about this. Thanks :) Ok onto the question!

Guys if you compare two girls and say 'One is hotter overall but the other is prettier' You also say the ‘hotter’ one is ‘different but in a better way than the prettier one’. What do you mean by that?

Lets say the 'hotter' girl is more unique looking (say more mixed. West/Eastern European + Mediterranean and Middle Eastern) with somewhat striking contrasts like fair skin with large almond shaped dark green eyes and thick black lashes and plump curved lips and a nose that is somewhat wider than ‘average’ but not huge plus perfectly straight and uniformed) and is taller with more curves (still thin with a flat stomach but just with bigger hips and chest). The prettier girl is very ‘conventionally pretty’ and has extremely fine facial features (very small oval face, light skin with some freckles, smaller hazel eyes, nice curved lips but thinner than the ‘hotter’ girls, and a small button/ slightly upturned nose. Looks Irish/French). The hotter one has dark mahogany (red brown) hair and the prettier one has golden brown hair. They both dress very nice and classy and not provocatively. A bit of cleavage or some leg (never together) but that’s it. They are both nice and neither of them are ‘skanky’ in their behavior.

p.s The hotter one is edgier and funnier (very quirky at times) and is an individualist and an artist. The 'prettier' one pretty much goes with the crowd, doesn't talk much unless she has guys hitting on her. The 'hotter' one turns down most guys.

Most Helpful Guy

• they both sound like sweet girls. I'm not trying to be biast in my opinon because I really do dig brunettes but I would have to choose the "hot" one because I like the edgy individualistic attitude that makes it appear like she doesn't need a man and that it seems that she is undateable. it makes more of a thrill to chase that girl and to find out who she really is underneath the wittyness. I'm sure both girls are gorgeous in their own seperate ways that's why I don't like the whole idea of hot vs. pretty because hot to me just refers to sex appeal and physical attributes (which is what your question is about) but the "pretty" girl can be hot too as the "hot" girl can be pretty. I feel its all a matter of what sort of guy is looking at both girls and deciding what he wants. I don't think it depends on which girl is more f***able (again depending on what guy is looking at both women) I think it comes down to if the guy wants a long relationship or just a fling sort of thing..that rhymed. but that's why I would choose the "hot" one because even though she's probably into the fling thing with guys I would try to charm her and get her to like me as best as I can because in the end if I end up with the girl that I wanted and worked for I would be thrilled but if not I would walk away saying "at least I tried".

• Neither of them are into flings.

• Hahaha ok then. I'm sorry.

• " I like the edgy individualistic attitude that makes it appear like she doesn't need a man and that it seems that she is undateable. it makes more of a thrill to chase that girl and to find out who she really is underneath the wittyness."

funny how there's only been 1 guy in 20 years who said (something like) that to me. none of the other guys ever understood that its just an act :/

What Guys Said 11

• Well for me pretty is usually skinny cute girls with small boobs often white or Japanese but can be other races hot is usually kinda provocatively dressed sometimes got big boobs booty sometimes skinnier like the pretty girls with a somewhat arrogant I'm all that attitude. The hot girl is the one I tell myself I'm not into but she has a certain draw. Beautiful girls for me are usually have curves not stick figures maybe even a bit overweight quieter or talkative but less flirty less sexily dressed and usually have a round face that somehow captivates me and long hair. A lot of girls I find beautiful tend to be Latina or Native American sometimes other races especially Arab. I don't know skinny girls to me can be pretty but I don't usually find them beautiful. Beautiful girls sort of look like what I think my ideal looks like. This is for me personally other guys have different preferences. Its funny the "hot" girl you described sounds kinda like me. I am a little West Europe also East European mized with Gypsy and gypsies are from India originally so I have a light tan and black hair with kind of a big nose and the almond slightly asian looking eyes and I am stalky. Well she sounds beautiful to me. I'd love to see a picture of her.

• LOL I know you meant like you as the 'male version' but it still made me laugh a little.

• Yes I meant as the male version I have a big old beard and body hair on literally every square inch of my body.

• The difference between hot and pretty is gonna be how a girl presents and carries herself. You put a hottie in a paperbag and she's gonna lose some appeal, you put a pretty girl in a little black dress and make her up and she's gonna be hot. After that its attitude, same girls hottie in a bag is still gonna rock it, the pretty girl will probably be a little more reserved. Either way put them both in a room and let guys pick and it will come down to what they like individually, how strong the guy is mentally, and the stage in his life.

• I don't agree with the bit about putting a hottie in a paper bag. Just because a girl is 'hot' doesn't mean she doesn't have a pretty face. She can have BOTH.

• Of course, a girl can't be hot without a pretty face. But the difference is she has more to go with it

• the hotter one just because she's funnier. sense of humor is important to me. beyond that they seem equal.

• Ok ur kind of annoying me dude... just because she's hott... doesn't mean SHES FUNNIER!!!

• LOL the person who asked the question also mentioned the "hotter" one was funnier in one of the updates that's why he mentioned that :)

• lust the hot ones and marry the pretty ones/

• Neither one is better. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

• a girl who is hotter is usually a blonde in my mind and a brunette is prettier. (This is what I've seen at least)

• she should be PRETTY damn HOT

• hot ones I just wanna f***, the pretty ones I just wanna kiss hold and lovingly be in the presence and also f***

• The hotter girl is one that we would want to do. The prettier one is one that we would want to get to know more.

• Shit I thought so :(

• Ok. Well I was looking for answers more specific to my question, but thanks anyway.

• No problem.

• This is a dumb question the way you went into so much detail about stuff that is all theoretical. It's all about attraction. Some guys like glamor, some like girl next door. Guys like girls from pale and pasty to black as oil. It all depends on the guy. Ask yourself, is what you consider hot or cute the same as all girls? Of course not.

• This isn't always the case, but it seems like guys go for "hotter" when they're younger, and "pretty/beautiful" when older, mainly because hotness diminishes, but natural beauty tends to last longer.

What Girls Said 5

• So what you're saying is that one of these is you, and the other one is a girl you know...and you both like the same guy? xD

• Men want the one that's more f***able.

• Have to disagree with you there. In this case I went with the hotter one solely because she pointed out that the hotter one was funnier. beyond that they boths eemed equal.

• I said more f***able. I never said the cute one or the hot one. You answered your own questions with your own bias.

• Lol! EPIC WIN!

• serouslly dude, how about you just put 2 pictures up...

• so a pretty girl can't be hot? one guy told me I'm hot and the other said I'm pretty sometimes both. so what's that?

• Hot vs pretty meaning what? Do you mean which one a guy would want to have sex with versus which one a guy would possibly end up having for a girlfriend? Also, your definition of hot versus pretty is, well, your definition.

All I can say is hot (sexy) can be overrated. As a woman I have had my girl-next-door phase and my hottie phase and I am circling back to more girl-next-door because what hot gets you is a lot of attention from too many guys who are not necessarily interested in you but interested in you...naked. I am finding that it is easier to weed out players and attract the sincere guys when you don't look so "hot". Though a lot of guys turn their heads to look at a hottie many do not aspire to have one for a girlfriend. Some associate hotness with a girl being high maintenance, demanding or just overall not good girlfriend material.

• No I don't. I wasn't really asking for 'personal opinions'. I was just wondering what that one particular guy meant because I don't feel anything people have said about 'hot' vs 'pretty' girls really applies to that particular situation at all.