How Can I Look More 'Latina'?

So, I'm Hispanic and am really, really tired of people asking me what my ancestry is. Sometimes, I feel like, because I don't have blue eyes and blonde hair, I'm seen as exotic and less of an American. When I tell most of these people that I'm Latina, they're usually very surprised -- which I don't get, considering I have the stereotypical 'Latina' features (dark hair, dark eyes, curvy body).

I think I'd like to start dressing more 'Latin' -- just to get in touch, a bit more, with my cultural roots. Unfortunately, I don't have very many Latina friends that I can rely on for advise.

Any suggestions?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the main reason is because your skin tone is lighter. I would not suggest tanning as it is bad for your skin, and will make you look old, long before your time.

I have mistaken some Mexican women, for Americans just because their English was so good. I just saw them as another American. So maybe you just don't sound Hispanic enough, for your race to be important enough to register in peoples minds.

What Guys Said 4

• who gives a shit I am Hispanic and because i speak without an accent people can't figure me out they usually guess west Asian or they think I am a mix of white and black. Also you don't have a picture on right now but apparently from the comments you are very light skin and that's fine Hispanic is not a race it's a culture and a socio-geographical background you can be blue and be Hispanic if people are too ignorant to understand that because they were raised in a country that likes to divide, lump, and categorize people by their so called "Race" then so be it.

• People sometimes think i am Spanish when i get dark in the summer. I am italian and german. So why not get some more sun or go to a tanning salon if the weather doesn't allow.

• Lol, I know I'm pretty pale, but I don't want to risk damaging my skin. I want to protect my skin and keep it as healthy and youthful-looking as possible.

• I'm American Samoa full blooded and see what i look like

• But you look Latina.

• That's what I say! So why do people continuously ask what my background is?

What Girls Said 6

• Just be you. If you want to really get in touch with your roots then schedule a trip to see family that embraces your culture.

• people never think i look mexican haha not sure why. if you get a nice tan then people might get a better hint but im really not sure. start talking with a Spanish accent haha

• Use Sofia Vergara as inspiration! Lol. But really you shouldn't care what others think. And getting in touch with your culture doesn't have much much to do with how you look.

• My little brother has bright blonde hair and blue eyes and we are 100% mexican.

You look extreamly Latina?
    But if people don't believe it for some reason just do you.

• dress like a latina... start with looking up sofia vergara's style.

• No offense but I don't think dressing differently will get you in touch with your cultural roots. I think spending time with your family, learning more about your culture or even taking a trip to the birthplace of your culture would do more for you. Also since you used the term Hispanic then Latina I don't know if you should learn Spanish or Portuguese.

• Spanish... so, I'm Latina AND Hispanic... because my parents are from a Spanish-speaking country in Latin-America. The problem is that I'm also Cuban-American and, if you know anything about the politics in Cuba, you know it's nearly impossible for an American to travel there -- and those that do, risk imprisonment from the American federal government.

• That's good! Maybe make friends with a similar background as you. I'd say look on the internet for how to dress but I feel it would just show you stereotypes. I think interacting with true Latinas would give you a better understanding