Is it true that guys will date "Barbie", but marry "Plain Jane"?

This is a question from a segment by Neicey Nash. She asked a bunch of guys and girls if the "Plain Jane's" get booted in the dating world compared to the hot ones, but when it comes to marriage, the plain girls usually win. Is it true that once a man is ready to settle he's just looking at more than looks? Or when men are younger, they seem to focus more on attractiveness and later they realize that its not about having arm candy and great sex, but a good woman who will commit...? What do you think?

0|0
3|3

Most Helpful Guy

• No.

Studies have shown that men care about looks MORE in the long run. (women cared more about looks in the short run).

In the long run, guys want the full package - looks and personality. Otherwise they're better off continuing to play the field. Men view marriage as trading quantity for quality.

1|3
    0|0
    • I'd like to add to this by saying that what a guy thinks looks GOOD in a marriage type girl and what he thinks looks GOOD for a fling are two different things. There are a lot of physical traits guys think are attractive but also associate with negative personality traits, so they tend to shy away from girls who possess these attractive physical traits when looking for something long term. For example, the high maintenance look.

What Guys Said 2

• All else equal, I'd marry Barbie in a heartbeat!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, you got it all backwards.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Yeah. It's not that the plain girls win, because guys like that usually end up cheating on their plain wives witht he hot girls who excite them. it's just that the hotter girls usually select other guys to settle down with and he probably can't keep up with them. if you look at the richer more successful men, they tend to marry the full package = an attractive woman who has more going on than looks, either way she'll be attractive.

1|0
    0|0
  • Think about this: a man isn't going to marry a woman that he hasn't dated. Do he has to be attracted to her in the first place, so I doubt that she's a plain Jane to him.

1|0
    0|0
  • Attractiveness has nothing to do with determining whether someone's going to get married or not

0|0
    1|0