Southern Accents Voted Sexiest in North America

Southern Drawl Takes it All

When you consider the sexiness of Hollywood’s hottest Southerners, like country music star Miranda Lambert and hunky heartthrob Matthew McConaughey, it’s no wonder the South has stolen the GAG Community’s heart.

The Results Are In…

After an astonishing amount of votes rolled in (3314, to be exact), we can safely say that we know where the GAG Community stands in terms of the sexiest North American accents. Southern Belles, continue teasing that hair and charming the pants off everyone you meet – it’s totally working for you.

Southern Accents

The South really does have it all, doesn’t it? Well, the GAG Community agrees, because both guys and girls say there’s nothing sexier than a Southern accent.

Southern accents swept the competition, as 38% of GAGers (1,273 votes) ranked accents from Southern states as the sexiest.

There’s just something about that Southern drawl that leaves guys and girls wanting more. Yee-haw!

Canadian Accents

Second place, eh? Known for their delicious maple syrup, yes – but sexy accents? We were just as shocked as you are.

It may be hard to believe, but Canadian accents trailed just behind the Southern accent front runner in the poll. Apparently, 23% of girls and guys (660 votes) just can’t get enough of that Canadian slang.

Northeastern Accents

Ahh, the infamous “Boston” accent. We were pretty surprised to see that it didn't sweep the poll, actually.

Not even the extreme popularity of Jersey Shore or the hotness of Mark Wahlberg could save the Northeast from those charming Southerners.

Accounting for only 20% of the votes (693), the Northeast took third – not nearly high enough for bragging rights. Just like the Red Sox, overall, Northeastern accents are disappointing. Better luck next year, NE!

Mountain/Western Accents

We can’t say we’re surprised to see that Mountain/Western accents were ranked so “un-sexy” by the GAG Community. After all, this region is known for claiming to not having an accent at all, and simply talking “normal” (whatever that means).

With only 10% (361 votes) of girls and guys voting for the Mountain/Western region, this boring non-accent landed itself right in fourth place - just behind those loudmouthed Northeasterners.

Northern Accents

Coming in dead last – those poor, poor Northern accents. Face it, Northerners, you’re the go-to for beer and cheese, not sex. Maybe the lack of sex appeal in the North has something to do with the ridiculously cold weather, but we’re betting it has EVERYTHING to do with the accent itself.

We’re sorry to say that only 9% of votes (327) were cast for Northern accents. Start gearing up now, Northerners, it’s going to be a long and cold winter without someone to light your fire.

A Tribute to the South

Since the South is the reigning champion, we’re giving you all exactly what you want: a video of gorgeous Southern woman saying hilariously stereotypical things. You’re welcome.

What Do You Think?

Were you surprised with the results of the poll? Do you agree that Southerners have the sexiest accents in North America, and Northerners have the least sexiest accents in North America?

We’d love to hear your opinions, so go ahead and share them below.

gagTake is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 27

• southern twangs make me weak.. Miranda Lambert *drool*

• Glad I'm Southern. Next time @xhoneyxbeex, just remind them that no one retires and moves north.

• haha yeah, that's very true, they all come down here. Virginia is becoming really bad about that, so many come and settle in Northern Virginia which is why there is such a divide between that part of the state and the rest of us (regarding politics and such).

• Mid-westerners flock to AZ. I have never heard a southern accent there.

• That's my second least favorite after north eastern. Go pawk the caw. Yuck!

• Agreed, southern accents can be really sexy!

• It always amazes me the variations in accents and how they can determine how we perceive someone. Two people can say exactly the same thing but your opinion of them can be completely different just based on their accent.

• Dang yea, roll Tide baha

• I hate rednecks/hicks and like respectable southerners

• Ridiculous. No southern accent has "stolen my heart". Frankly many southern accents sound ignorant and trashy.

• In other news, 38% is now a majority according to the interwebs Xo

• The southern accent most people like probably comes from movies and TV. Most southerners don't even sound like that. Sure there's your country "hick rednecks", but most people just use southern slang and have a slight accent. Not the rich heavy "stereotypical" accent you see in the media.

Sorry to bust anyone's bubble though. I'm just saying.

• I demand a recount! You guys lumped Boston in with NEW JERSEY! NOBODY likes New Jersey! And New York accents are the most overplayed thing in the history of ever! I'm calling BS! Boston accents ahhhh the best evahhhh, kid!

• Uhhh NY accents are the worst LOL :P

• @Red_Dragon Apparently someone else noticed too, haha
      http://youtu.be/vihYkEAQ_DY
      Yeah, it was a book, then a movie, then a TV show. Probably the only time I'd ever say I liked the book better than the TV/movie version, since I hate reading, haha

• I can already tell you that when it comes to someone greeting someone else here we never say "Hey y'all". Who the hell is y'all? It's only one person!!! LOL. WTF? We just say "Hey." That's it. No y'all. Usually we don't even say hey y'all to a group. It's typically probably something like "Hey everyone." or "Hey everybody." Y'all is used when it describes a action or like a common belief or something like that LOL.

It's like "Man are all of y'all going to the same place?" I mean some people use it as a greeting, but rarely to address one person. It's never used that frigging much unless the person really is trying to be annoying.

In the video some of those she used like most of us would, but there are plenty where it seems like it was just thrown in there.

I hate reading too, but yeah usually the books always seem to be better than the movie/TV versions.

• Ladies love a southern boys draw... lol but really there is a fine line between a southern draw and "hick talk" one is sexy the other off putting.
    I have a bit of a southern accent XP "y'all ready to go down to the crik 'n go fishin'?" Old southern ladies like to say "Bless their heart" when they are insulting someone (funny enough)

• They forgot

"Shadup afor I jaw ya"
    "Hotter'n a pistol"

I used to go out with a Texas girl who said those all the time. And how could they forget "YEEHAHHH"?

• Eww, no lol. A southern GIRL accent, maybe. Because I suppose the "Georgia Peach" thing is kind of cute. But a southern accent on a guy? Good luck getting laid, buddy. The only thing worse than that is if he had an Indian accent lol

• LOL plenty of southerners get laid fam. You must live up north somewhere and have never been to the south.

• Ehhh you barely below that southern line XD. I'm messing with you. That's the south. How dare you belittle your region LOL

• They don't know what that line is that high up in the mountains and secluded from civilization lol

• WOW - sine the south ranks top in illiteracy, and is lowest in the nation for education, I guess that ignorant people must be sexy to others here. Damn!

• Yet we have amazing universities and our economy absolutely dominates the North, Mid-West, or West. Just because there are hicks in Alabama doesn't mean the entire South is a bunch of 4th grade reading level farmers.

• @front2back, Is that a joke? Do some research man

• It is amazing how personally some people take these answers! Learn to read between the lines, guys! I have lived in the North and South. The only thing that really puzzled me when I moved to the south was that I became a northerner. When I was in NY, I was an American.

• Being from the South, I'd like to agree with this consensus, but I haven't heard a whole lot that I really enjoy. I guess it's from hearing it all my life. For that matter, I'm not enchanted by any North American English-speaking accent. I enjoy almost every other foreign accent, though.

• Southern accents and Canadian the top. HAHAHA. that will do me.

• Southern accents sexy? OK, if you like trailer trash, go knock yourself out.

• come on down, lets us show you how it's done down here in the south

• I'm from Canada and there's no way we only have one accent up here.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 22

• I think I voted in this. I like Boston accents. I don't get how the South won. I like country accents for a day, but they get annoying quick! I'm really more attracted to Australian and English accents. Now those I can listen to all day.

• Lol really? I live in the South and when I meet people who are from a different region of the country (usually from the northeast), they make fun of my accent. My freshman year of college I met several people from New York who called me a "redneck" and laughed at me because of the way I talk. So... this is very surprising to me. Haha! I love the southern accent though :)

• oohhh you should do another audio recording. I remember I heard your voice one time before when you posted

• hahaha omg, I should just record myself reading some of them and post it. Lol

• I hate the way people in the North sound. I love the South and southern accents.

• not surprised. it's the most obvious and unique accent in north america.

• Yessss!!! I win this one!!

• I wonder how many of y'all have heard a real southern accent. Cause that boy up there in that picture sure isn't what a typical southern boy looks like.

• Southern accents are probably the HOTTEST thing to me! Love a good southerner!

• Honestly Southern accents annoy the crap out of me. But each to his own I guess.

• Gooo Southerns!

• HAHAHAHA beer and cheese. That's great. We Canadians do not have accents. (Well, the eastern coast does but they're another breed). At least we're ranked way below America on the Obesity scale? Plus, Canadians are gorgeous!! Well, most of us. It's all the poutine... does the body good ;) Also not saying I'm gorgeous. I'm just saying I live here and I see a lot of attractive men and women and you put them in a plaid shirt and a toque and bam. So. Attractive.

• I've always loved southern accents! My family moved all over the country when I was growing up, and when we finally landed in Kentucky I almost immediately picked up the accent. I'm the only one in my family who has it, hahaha. My dad has a northern accent and my mom has a Florida accent (if they have an accent). My brother doesn't seem to have an accent.

• Hey everyone!

I started my own YouTube channel; Veni Vidi Fleur.
    this is the link to my first video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAdlGSym0M

Would you guys check it out for me and leave a comment below the video on what you think?
    And if you like it, subscribe?

xxx

• I think most people are going by the southern accents that they see used on tv to stereotype the south like in true blood, django unchained, no country for old men and so forth. A lot of the movies based in the south are popular but the fake southern accent is horrible. Most of those actors probably have no idea what southerners sound like and I think that's why southern accents were voted most popular online because some people online have never been to south let alone america, and there is this romanticized image about south

• Exactly. I live in the south and most people don't sound like that. Is there some southern accent in their voice? Yeah, but not that much like in the TVs and stuff. It's not that damn bad LOL.

• Most southerners DO have a southern accent I'm from the south and I honestly thought I didn't. But then I went on a cruise and met a Canadian and she got all mad at me for saying "y'all" I mean, ya most accents on TV are fake and are overdone, but a REAL southern accent is probably the hottest thing in the world to me. The only place in the south you probably won't find a southern accent is probably Atlanta, but if you go anywhere outside city limits you'll sure find some

• @mag2019 I think you need to read my post before you comment. I never said southerners don't have a southern accent

• Hmm I don't mind accents.. But a deep husky voice.. Oh my *faints*

• Gotta admit. The right southern accent on the right man. You know the handsome chivalrous ones with that sweet southern drawl. He can take me to a hoot - nanny any damn day Lol! So sexy...

• Born and raised in California, the southern accent is a little bit silly to me xD

• I voted the southern accent <3

• oh god southern *-* can't have enough of them sexy hot handsome boys *-*

• Meh, I personally don't like Southern accents. Southern accents sound pretty rough to me, like something that needs to be refined.

• Oh come on yee haw, we don't really say that. And I'm from a small little country town in louisiana. We're more like the duck dynasty people here.

• Lmaooooo

Oh, Canada.

• More from Girls
    2