17 Foreign Beauty Trends That Westerners Find Gross!

Every culture has its own standards of what they consider beautiful. And what may be seen as beautiful to one, can be seen as hideous to another. Here are 17 foreign beauty trends that Westerners find gross.

Tajikistan

The Unibrown

Although they are seen as hideous in the West, and are often the butt of many jokes, in the Central Asian nation of Tajikistan, the unibrow is seen as a thing of beauty. Women with unibrows are considered more beautiful, and more desirable for marriage. Women even go as far as to pencil in a bit of extra fuzz.

Japan

Crooked Teeth

While people in the West are spending thousands on orthodontists to get their teeth straightened, Japanese girls are paying thousands to have theirs crookeded. This trend allegedly started with a popular J-Pop band, whose female members all had crooked teeth. Many Japanese people consider crooked teeth cute, and consider girls with crooked teeth to be more natural. Although it originated in Japan, the trend has also began to catch on in neighboring South Korea.

Mauritania

Fat Women

Let's be honest, we all know much of the Western world, especially Europe, thinks fat women are gross. However, that is not the case in the west African nation of Mauritania. Here, girls are force fed by their mothers from a young age, to be deliberately fattened up. In Mauritania, big is beautiful, and a woman will most likely never find a husband, unless she comes with a bit of extra meat.

New Zealand (Maori Tribe)

Face Tattoos

Even most cultures in the East consider facial tattoos to be extremely hideous, and in the West they are synonymous with violent street gangs, such as MS-13. However, in the Maori culture, facial tattoos are seen as a sign of strength, beauty and cultural pride. Maori receive their first facial tattoos during coming of age ceremonies, and they are donned by both men and women. Although in recent years, many Maori have opted for "fake" facial tattoos instead of the real thing.

South Asia, Western Asia & North Africa

Henna

There is something about full body art that Westerners find gross, and apparently, that also applies to henna. Although you will see the occasional Western hippie sporting a henna design, most consider it as hideous as facial tattoos. However, in the Muslim and Hindu world, henna art is seen as a thing of beauty. But even so, you will normally not find very many women wearing it, except for weddings and festivals, and the design wares off within 3-4 weeks. But come on, you gotta appreciate all the time and effort put into these elaborate designs.

Papua New Guinea

Scarification

In the West, this practice would be seen as barbaric self harm. However, for many tribes in Papua New Guinea, it is seen as a coming of age ceremony for boys, who endure the gruesome ritual at as young as 13. The scars are said to give the men the strength of the crocodile, which is regarded as a sacred animal in Papua New Guinea. The pain lasts about 2 to 3 weeks, and the boys are not allowed to cry during the process. Unfortunately, the scarification is too much for some to handle, and some boys do not survive the ritual.

Namibia (Himba)

Dirty Girls!

The Himba are an indigenous tribe of traditional hunter gatherers found in the arid scrubland of Namibia. They are known for their red skin and hair, which is created by literally throwing heaps of dirt on themselves. Due to lack of water, the ritual is mainly used as a bathing practice, as well as protection from the sun, as the Himba wear little clothing. But the red skin is also considered a thing of beauty within the Himba community.

Ireland & The British Isles

Red Hair & Freckles

Okay, it's not really a trend, as there isn't much you can do about genetics. But even so, Ginger people are often the butt of jokes in many countries, and are considered unattractive. However, that is not the case in Ireland and parts of the British Isles, where Ginger people are quite common and considered quite beautiful. Gingers in this part of the world are far less likely to dye their hair or hide their freckles beneath layers of make up.

Southeast Asia (Indigenous Hill Tribes)

Neck Rings

Okay, maybe not entirely "gross", as Western tourists pay tons of money to get a glimpse of these bizarre women. However, the practice is still seen as barbaric, and would never be practiced in the West. The "Longnecks" as they have been nicknamed are an indigenous tribe found in parts of Myanmar, Laos and Thailand. It's pretty obvious to see how they got their name. Contrary to popular belief however, it is actually the shoulders that are being pushed down, and not the neck itself that's being stretched. Also contrary to popular belief, the woman's head will NOT fall off if the rings are removed. In fact, they have to be for bathing.

Kenya and Tanzania (Masai)

Stretched Ear Lobes

Okay, maybe this one isn't so shocking as ear gauging is practiced in the West too. A notable example is Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collin. However, the practice still isn't wide-spread, and the big gaping hole is usually filled with a gauge, while the Massai just sort of, "let it all hang out".

Ethiopia & South Sudan (Indigenous Tribes)

Lip Plates

This is one that still makes me cringe! This bizarre custom is practiced by indigenous tribes of Ethiopia and South Sudan. It is mainly practiced by women, and the bigger the lip plate, the more beautiful the woman, therefore the greater chance of finding a husband. This is one I hope will never catch on in the West! I wonder how these people eat?

India

Giant Nose Rings

In the West, this one is considered just as bad as the preceding three. However, within the many ethnic groups of India, large elaborate nose rings are seen as a thing of beauty. But again, just like with the henna, you won't find your average Indian girl wearing one, as they are normally only worn by brides on their wedding day.

Punjab (Sikhs)

Female Body Hair

Actually, this is probably one that most people would find gross. But followers of the Sikh religion are forbidden from changing their bodies in any way. This includes the removal of any sort of body hair, which means the completely natural feature is not stigmatized like it is in the West, or even in other parts of India. Okay, the majority of Sikh girls DO NOT look like this girl, but you get the picture.

Israel

NO Female Body Hair

I know what you're thinking, isn't this normal in the West though? YES! HOWEVER, Israeli girls take it to the extreme, literally removing every inch of hair on their body, except for the stuff on their head. In fact Israeli Youtuber Henya Mania reported being laughed at by local girls on a public bus, because she had tiny visible hairs on her arms. YEAH! That's pretty extreme!

South Asia

Long Hair

It's no secret that Desi girls take great pride in their hair, and long hair is seen as both a symbol of beauty and status. However, most in the West would say that Desis like their hair a little "too" long. For most Western girls, anything down to their waist is considered long enough. However, when it comes to Desi girls, there is no such thing as "hair that's too long."

Caribbean, Africa & Pakistan

Long Toenails

Okay, this is probably one you won't notice unless you're a traveling foot fetisher. Black girls in the Caribbean and Africa, as well as Pakistani girls like to keep their toenails long. For some bizarre reasons that no one can figure out, this is seen as a thing of beauty in these parts of the world. But hey, you gotta applaud them for putting so much effort into something most people don't even notice.

Israel, South Korea, United States, Australia Melanesia, Muslim Countries

Circumcised Penises

Okay, I obviously can't post a picture of this one, and I know what you're thinking, Westerners don't think this is gross! Well, not ALL! Europe is Western, and the majority of Europeans find the practice gross and barbaric. While in much of the world, aside from India, Europe and Latin America, circumcised penises are not only considered more hygienic, but also more beautiful. I honestly don't understand how someone can find a scarified penis beautiful, but that's just me.

5143
ZeussLightningBolt is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• Being a girl from Bangladesh, a part of South Asia...
    > Henna: My obsession. It's even in my profile pic.
    > Nose rings: My sister wore that on her wedding, saw enough of her struggling to decide not to wear that thing on my own wedding. How the fuck do I eat in that?
    > Long hair: I cried for hours once my aunt cut my hair too short when I was 10. Now that my hair is thinning and I keep it short to control the rapid hair loss, oh god the comments I get. I'm not blessed with thick hair.
    > Long toenails. I also saw Indian youtubers with that kinda feet, and some beauty conscious Bangladeshi women with long toenails too. I'm fine with my short squared toenails, thank you.

• Also, I find unibrows very attractive. Red hair and freckles is also very beautiful!

• Do you know what's up with all the foot fetish scenes in Bollywood serials?

• I really don't know. I am not into Bollywood.

Most Helpful Guy

• Interesting MyTake! : )

In my opinion henna, gingers with freckles, perfectionists in Israel and long hair as long it's clean isn't gross. Henna and waxed looks a bit nice. Orange haired people with freckles just looks ordinary. Nothing special with them. I don't find these traits attractive, but not gross either.

But I'm however agree in that all of the other things on the list is either gross, unattractive or just simply not my cup of tea. The women in Namibia don't necessary look gross. Many of them looks ordinary and the red color looks cool. It looks like makeup. But the fact of it being dirt, mud and clay is a bit gross in my opinion. Hygiene is important and I think soap smells good.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 50

• Her toe nails though... Kinda scary. But gotta appreciate the effort

• I love long hair and i think Henna looks great, crooked teeth and hair and long toes nails i find gross though lol.

• I have red hair and freckles 😢.
    Hope people don't think I'm strange.

• I don't find most of that gross except the neck rings, which deform the wearer's bodies.

I don't know anyone who finds henna gross - it's incredibly beautiful usually. Red hair and freckles are not considered gross in the US. I should know. People can't get enough of my hair. Piercings, scarification and tattoos not that unusual her either. Maori tattoos are quite beautiful.

• I just put that yo please that Critical Thinker girl. She wasn't happy that I included gingers on THIS list. Lol

• I just don't think that many Westerners find them gross.

Lip plates - we're not so used to yet. (Isn't it hard to talk?)

• Apart from the red hair/freckles, noise ring and long hair the rest of it is gross.
    Chineese foot binding is another one and that skull binding thing that used to be practiced by steppe and other peoples is another.
    Goodtake.

• I actually think henna and red hair are quite beautiful, along with a few other trends mentioned in this Take. And this is coming from someone who was born in America and has lived in the US all her life! Very interesting and well-written Take, though. I like it!

• I think the henna is beautiful and I’m not a hippy😉

• Akso those teeth are cute. They are nit crooked just pronounced in the side like vampires. People pay money here too to get bonding done to enhance certain teeth to make them look like vampires. If her grunt teeth were off to the side or sticking way out that’s be something people correct but the sharp incisors are hot.

• Though cleanliness wise it’s be nice if everyone shaved their pits 😁

• Yeah exactly. Arm hair and pubic hair I don't mind at all. In fact, I prefer it on women. Leg hair and armpit it depends. Sometimes it can look sexy, sometimes not. I've only ever seen like 3 hairy armpit girls in real life.
      I have quite a bit of body hair myself, and most girls think it's gross.

• I don't agree with the henna things, in France majority of people find it beautiful and I know lots of French women who want to do it.

• Yeah, Henna shouldn't be on the list. A lot of westerners join in with Indian/Pakistani et cetera people for the so called "Henna parties" when people get married and get their arms and hands done.

• Your mom is funny, she sound like my mom XD
      I surely looked lovely :)

• *is offended that redheads with freckles were included in gross beauty trends*

*leaves*

WE ARE ADORABLE!

• what? you find henna designs gross! that's just like tattouing but one that fades in more or less a week

• I have yet to meet or see Japanese with crooked teeth.

• Me too, but I saw some Korean girks with crooked teeth

• Well, because I live in Japan and have been for quite a few years and find nice bright white teeth almost a rarity. Orthodontic treatment is also quite expensive.
      But well, maybe things are a bit better in the Tokyo area, if that's where you've been.

• @dipta: I often go to & stay in & around greater Tokyo & Hakone only.

• The nose rings, henna, long hair, "hairless" trend, and red hair and freckles, I don't find gross and I think are beautiful. I don't like the rest.

• I am more than sure you could have chosen a way to share this information without being rude to the people in other cultures.

• Every country or ethnic group have their own culture, which influences the standard of beauty. I don't find most of these gross though, only the crooked teeth and lip plate. Henna and large nose rings can be quite beautiful actually.

• Really good Take. I have never understood growing toenails that long. Not popular over here in the US, but I have seen women with them and it always creeps me out.

• Good take! Although I didn't realise gingers & freckles were seen or considered unattractive! I'm not ginger but I have freckles and every country I've visited has always complimented me on them!

• The US obsession with ridiculously huge asses is probably gross to them lol

• Interesting MyTake, as a westerner, I don't find these gross really. Some I really like, others I would not partake in.

• I live in Canada and agree 100% on the scarred penis. I much prefer foreskin as a woman. We don’t go routinely cutting off a baby girl’s foreskin. Foreskin feels better. Foreskin gives more orgasms and pleasure.

I wouldn’t turn down a guy for being circumcised. It isn’t his fault someone violated his body with a knife. I just prefer foreskin.

I almost lost my youngest son because of circumcision. And don’t tell me he was just one of the unlucky 1%. A 3 week old baby an hour from me died after his. My brother had complications. Don’t blame genetics either. My son faces a kidney transplant now at 3 years old.

#RegretMom
    #Educate
    #StopCuttingBabyPenis
    #YoutubeElephantInTheHospital
    #ThenComeBackAndTalkToMe

• Death by circumcision? Kidney transplant needed due to circumcision? What did you do, go to a witch doctor? And how the HELL would YOU know IF foreskins give more orgasms and pleasure? Do you have a penis? Did you do a random sampling of ... hmm.. 3 guys? I love the science here.

• @loveslongnails Yes, I’m fine if you send me a message. Might not be til tonight I get back to you. I’m at my daughter’s dance competition all day

• I would rather pm you on this, but I don't usually follow or allow followers. If you don't mind temporarily allowing me to follow you... This personal message only from followers option on GaG has lost my connection with some really good posts because it takes a long time to finally get through to the person whom I'd rather pm than talkto in public. By then I have lost track.

• An interesting read. Though I don't know anyone who finds henna or redheads "gross and unattractive"

• More from Girls
    30

What Guys Said 42

• Yes to ALL EXCEPT:
    1) Circumcised penises - I think uncircumcised ones look like disgusting sea cucumbers.
    2) Irish girls with freckles and red hair - that's NOT a beauty "trend". You don't OPT IN for freckles, or red hair. And that girl in the photo is BEAUTIFUL !!
    3) Israeli girls - why would I care if they were smooth as silk all over their body? That's freaking HOT. Israeli girls are gorgeous.
    PS> the unibrow looks awful to me, like a female mustache only over your eyes !

• This is extremely fucking retarded. Its nice that 4 things were about my country. Henna is not gross, long hair isn't gross. Sikhs dont have so much hair and large nose rings are just weddings and it looks okay. Good god shut the fuck up this is retarded.

• This is stuff other people think it's gross, not myself. Not all of them anyways.
      And the only reason I put all those India ones is so I could put pictures of your beautiful women. Take it as a complement

• The henna looks really good.

The red mud actually looks sort of nice. Facial piercings are associated with gangs here but don't aesthetically look bad.

The lip plates and neck rings seem really odd to me. The long toe nails do creep me out.

• where did you hear about the long toenails thing? As a Pakistani guy, I never knew this was a thing.
    Also, I too find Henna gross. But then again, psychologically, I have always been more American than Pakistani.

• UUUUUUUGHHHHHHH that body hair, fat, crooked teeth, toenails, those scars. Don't want to see someone from all these countries together. The Israeli one and long hair ones are not gross

• why western look down on other cultures
    do u know what i find gross people with big egos DISGUSTING

• I love Redheads with freckles
    I think the crooked teeth in certain circumstances can be pretty
    I actually like female armpit and pubic hair

• Most of these are based on their perceived uselessness,*cough* I mean the lack of physical labor required of them by their 'tribe.' Like the fat pale women of antiquity.

Sorry, I like chicks with tans and six packs.

• When you said the west I assumed you meant Western Europe, America and Canada. But then you mentioned redheads in Ireland and Scotland, where they are not deemed beautiful but are actually made fun of and seen as hideous over there. Some go so far to even attack redheads.

Also I don't have a scar on my circumcised penis and most people do not. Get over it. Circumcised abd proud!

• I know I know @Pitzi I'm tagging you too much but srly "Israel
    NO Female Body Hair" what is this? Is it true? And to the mytake ginger people are damn beautiful and I'm from Sweden like come on my sister is a ginger...

• so you're saying I should visit Israel. maybe do some vehicular checkpoint stuff :DDDDDDDDDDDD

• Im confused... how in the hell is throwing dirt on yourself bathing?

• I found a lot of that stuff unattractive but red hair and freckles for the Irish girls? That's some of the cutest, sexiest stuff to me.

• Show me one person who finds redheads unattractive and I will do my best not to tear them limb from limb for being a danger to humanity.

• Thus why I remain in a culture that makes sense to me.

• fashion should stop when it becomes a health hazard.

Aka, neck rings, lip disks, scarification, and intentional obesity.

And COME ON, no one thinks redheads are ugly! They're adorable.

• Yeah I never got the whole thing about cutting part of your dick off for hygiene reasons. Soap and Water hello?

• I stopped after Namibia and Ireland, give me those freckled and dirty girls I am fine...

• Long hair and henna's aren't gross.
    But yeah those lip rings and lowered shoulders... No thanks.
    Great take I liked reading it.

• There are people who find Henna gross?

Interesting Take 👍

• More from Guys
    22