When Do You Usually Fill Up Your Gas Tank?

As the question asks... when do you usually fill up your gas tank? For me, personally, I usually wait until I have a quarter of a tank left. I usually get paranoid that if I don't fill it up then and I get stuck in a lot of traffic for hours (I do ocasionally get stuff in very heavy traff\ic), they my car will die on the road.

My dad usually waits until the gas light comes on... and when that happened before, we got stuck in heavy traffic and the car started fading in and out... luckily we were able to make it to the gas station before it totally died XD... that's my reason for filling up when I hit the quarter mark.

What about you?

• When My Car Is Half Full
  • When My Car Reaches the 1/4th Mark
  • When The Gas/Fuel Light Comes On In My Car

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't ever let it go into reserve tank! I'm worried about being stranded somewhere, considering I travel 40 miles a day, the majority of that being on motorways. My parents have commented on my refusal to use every last drop of my petrol but I just don't want to get into a sticky situation! I've gotten used to my car though and I know how far I can travel with the amount of petrol I have.

• My dad is the same way -_-. He always asks me why I don't wait until the gas light comes on (when the car is nearly empty)... and then I remind him about the time he almost got us stranded because he waits till the very last moment to get gas XD

What Girls Said 4

• I usually wait until it's almost at E, haha. I know from experience that I can get at least 30-40 miles farther once the needle hits E, so unless I'm on a highway and there are no exits anywhere near me, I don't worry too much.

• Half full i guess. I don't know thats my drivers job.

• My parents fill the gas when it's nearly on E.

• When it gets into the red, which is an eight of a tank.

What Guys Said 6

• Usually if the light comes on you have a good 100+ km left before you actually run out.

The only time I've ever run out of gas was when I was riding a motorcycle that didn't have a fuel gauge - and all I had to do was reach down and turn the switch to swap to the reserve tank.

• I was always told that you shouldn't really let it drop below a quarter tank, as there's a risk of all the crap that settles at the bottom (or possibly floats at the top?) being sucked in and clogging up the fuel lines / filter / etc.
    I also drive a very light and rather underpowered car, and I'm convinced that I can feel the difference when the tank is full vs near empty, so I try not to fill up too often.

• I fill up and keep my tank full when gas prices are low.

When gas prices are high, I only put in enough to get me from point A to B and until gas prices drop again.

• Strategy is that when gas prices are low keep filling up even when your 7/8 full.

When gas prices rise, ride it out, and only put in $10-20 per fill up until gas prices drop again.

• Yeah, I'm the same as you. When it gets down to just less than a quarter I fill it up.

• I'm rarely more than ten minutes away from a gas station at any given time, so running out of gas before I can find one isn't really a big concern.

• I don't drive but I know myself quite well. I'd probably keep it topped off regularly to be safe.