Should I leave my stressful cashier job?

Hi!
I've been working as a cashier for about 6 months now and I really hate it. This job stresses me out. For example, I always work on Saturday morning and because of that, I sleep terribly on Friday night (Im half asleep, or wake up in the middle of the night). Then, when I wake up at 7am on Saturday, I'm often out of breath, my heart beats really fast and I have cold sweats. When I get to work, I often get headaches and stomach cramps due to stress. I feel like this job is making me sick and I don't know what to do about it. I told my boss I was going to leave but now I'm not sure anymore. She gave me until tomorrow to make my last decision. I do wanna leave because of how this job is affecting my health but the thing is, if I leave I'll find myself with little to no money in a short amount of time. My family is telling me that I shouldn't leave and I should fight the stress (which I've tried doing for 6 months). And a friend of mine who also suffers from anxiety told me that I should leave if my job makes me feel that way. What should I do? :(

• You should leave your job, health before money.
  • You should stay and deal with the stress, it's better than being broke.

Most Helpful Guy

• You do have some money saved correct? It sounds like you do have some severe anxiety and should talk to a professional about that ASAP. In fact, many times they ask you if these symptoms interfere with your work, or have caused you to miss work.

Bottom line, health first, crappy minimum wage cashier job... last! Quit and get the help you need :)

• I started seeing a psychologist not too long ago. I don't know if staying at this job would help me fight my anxiety.

• If I were you until I was able to be stabilized I would leave definitely.

• Thank you for caring, I will think about it (:

What Guys Said 9

• A stressful cashier job? Indeed, you have Friday evenings and Saturdays but you have a compensation for those hours, don't you?
    How about the stress your direct boss has, the stress your manager has?
    Many of the officers have 9-9 jobs or 7-9 jobs and no time to eat and people with authority nagging them. And no compensations (maybe a bonus in December)

Otherwise apply for a A 9-5 office job but you 'll lose the compensations, of course.

• if it's stressful... fuck it then :|

• Yeah.. Leave that shitty job. Health first

• I really want to, but I'm scared to not find a new job.. I don't know which is worst :(

• Why don't you start selling on ebay or something?

• I don't have much that I'm willing to sell.. but thank you for the suggestion (:

• Get on craigslist or grab the local papers watch for garage sales find things that are worth more and sell them on ebay.

• It's time to move on up with your life, to the sky and finally get a piece of the pie.

• look for another job then quit

• Can you tell me more about being cashier, I'm student and i damn hate it, just want to save some money, but it's really stupid like so many coupons and all that crap :/

• Get out asap! You can find a better job that pays the same or more...

• I was thinking the same but finding a new job can take forever and I really need to make money. Im so confused

• Yes, retail is SHITE!

What Girls Said 3

• Start looking for another job. Once you have that lined up, quit that stressful place.

You spend too much time at work to be unhappy at your job.

• Do you think it's really bad if I leave before finding a new job?

• No, not if you are this unhappy. I was thinking of finances, though. But if you don't NEED money (as in, it's only extra spending cash) then leave. Life is too short.

• Health before money, but realize the job hunt starts immediately and quitting this job isn't an open invitation to lay around and not do anything yknow?

• Yeah, I don't want to just stay at home and do nothing... I just wish there were ways to make money while looking for a new job

• yeah you should leave.