I accidentally cut someone off on the road today. Any help?

So I was driving home and I wanted to switch lanes. The problem was that I had my blinker on and the lady in the lane I wanted to change to was in my blind spot and I saw her in my blind spot. The problem was that the dude in front of me wasn't driving very fast and I didn't want to speed up and hit his car so I kinda stayed back. Then the guy in front of me speeds up and he sped up the lady in the lane I wanted to change to honked her horn at me. I felt bad so I floored my car into the lane I wanted to change to and everything went smoothly from there (I only floored the car to about 40mph so I wasn't speeding). Any tips on how to avoid this the next time? I didn't want to intentionally cut her off but I had to do what I had to do and i don't know how to avoid a situation like that the next time. I don't want to be know as the asshole who cuts people off.

I meant to put intentionally instead of accidentally on the tittle. Sorry

Most Helpful Girl

• Try to switch to the lane you need to be in way ahead of time, especially when there's traffic. That way you won't have to rush last minute and worry about cars not letting you in.

Really though, I think the lady should have just slowed down to let you into her lane.

• She did slow down but I couldn't accelerate enough to get into the next lane

• The lady in the lane I wanted to change to slowed down I mean

Most Helpful Guy

• Sometimes you have to just force your way in when someone is being a bitch.
    But you gotta know that if you're forcing your way in and you get hit, it's going to be your fault if you get hit while cutting.

What Girls Said 2

• Sometimes you are forced by other drivers to make bad decisions driving. It doesn't make you a bad driver; the fact you didn't hit any one tells me you are a decent driver.

When this stuff happens I give an apologetic wave to the person I cut off, acknowledging that I did it. Hopefully s/he saw what was going on when I did it.

• seriously? just pay more attention, i guess. welcome to the world of driving.

What Guys Said 2

• I've done the same thing at times. I hate having to do it but. There are times you have to to avoid an accident. At times people are just too sensitive about getting "cut off." Like @ninetynine said, she could have slowed down a bit to let you over.

• Yeah plan ahead better