Is distance a good reason to break up with someone?

I talked to this guy for about 6 months but the issue is that he lives more than a thousand miles away from me. I met him while on a short trip there. I never expected things to become as deep as they did because I've always been a nonbeliever in long distance relationships. This guy seemed to be all in though, and I really liked him so I stuck it out and decided that if he were willing to give it a try I would too. Towards the end of the 6 months he got more distant and I confronted him and asked him if he had met someone else and if that was why he had backed off. He said no, that he just couldn't see our relationship going anywhere because I lived so far away. He said if I lived where he did or at least if we lived closer to each other things would be a lot different. Did he really only leave because of the distance or did he just say that to spare my feelings because he really just didn't care?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people just can't handle long distance and that's fine - especially when the relationship isn't going great. It's definitely a fair reason if you've tried and it's not working out. Other people have an easier time making long distance work, but that doesn't mean everyone else can.

Most Helpful Girl

• It looks like it could've been because of distance. I'm doing long distance with my boyfriend now and it's very difficult and not many people can handle it. It's a fair enough reason for breaking up.

What Guys Said 2

• No clue, from what you told us we can only assume maybe there is something more going on. If you trust him then believe what he told you, but if you don't trust him, then try talking to him and see if you can get anything else from him.

• honestly if you love someone you would see them again by many visitations but some people use it as an excuse and it is sometimes a good reason to break up

What Girls Said 1

• Nope that s not a problem