Going to college an hour away from my bf?

I've been dating this amazing guy since August, and although our relationship has been bumpy, we have made it last for the past 10 months. He is 24 and I am 20. I will be transferring to a 4 year college that is an hour away. I'm afraid that me and my boyfriend won't last through the remaining years (I will be attending grad school after I obtain my BA in psych). Although we live 20 minutes away, we only see each other on the weekends. Every once in a while will we see each other during the week. So, there won't be that much of a change.

However, I may not want to come home every weekend. And I might go 2-3 weeks without seeing him, if I decide to go out and meet people at my college. I told him he can always come and visit, and because it's an hour away, I suppose I could go out and have lunch with him or something.

I know he already has doubts and doesn't like talking about it.

Im not afraid of cheating, I'm just afraid of never being able to see him.

22

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 2

• For a long distance relationship, that's really not that bad. It's basically the same situation I was in during college just cause we were both really busy.

Maybe one of the reasons why your boyfriend seems hesitant about this arrangement is because while you're busy studying and attending school, he doesn't have anything to do in his spare time. It's a lot easier to get lonely when you have a lot of free time.

There's not much you can do as a solution other than endure that you won't be seeing each other every couple of weeks. It really isn't that bad of a situation, and it'll make the occasional times that you do visit very special.

• He is currently attending community college. Eventually he will likely transfer to a 4 year university. However, he has a few semesters left at his community college.

We already see each other 1-3 times a week. It usually falls in the once per week area though.

I mean, he can always come up and hangout with me and my new friends. He's only an hour away. But I know it'll be harder, because some nights I'll have to choose between him and making friends :(

• 1-3 times a week is actually the average amount of time a young couple sees each other, especially when in college. I think it'll be fine if you guys don't see each other for a week. I'm sure that you will be able to balance friends and relationship out in the long run. You guys might still be in your honeymoon stage because it feels like forever when you're apart, but it won't be that bad.

However, he seems a bit reluctant to visit you at your college. That might be something you'll want to discuss with him.

• if u both try it will work. wht r u going to grad school for im also a psych major and have no idea wht to do with it