7 Things Aromantics Would Like You to Know

askingforafriendx

It's amazing that most people nowadays support the LGBT+ community. But as an aromantic I made the experience that most people really don't know about it existing

So here are some things we would like you do know:

1. Aromanticism is a real thing

Not everyone experiences sexual attraction.

2. We are not being like this just for attention

It's not that much of a big deal. Probably it's one of the least interesting things about us.

3. It's not just a phase

You can't change your sexual orientation like you do change your underwear.

4. ''You just haven't met the right one yet''

Well 1st I have no desire in meeting someone and 2nd I don't think you had to meet the 'right person to realize you were straight/gay/bi/etc.

5. No, we are not heartless

We can still love our family, fiends and pets. There is more than one kind of love.:)

6. We just don't really get the obsession with romance

So much confusion, emotions and drama...Not really worth it anyways.

7. And we wouldn't change it for anything

37
15
15Girl Opinion
37Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girls

• Dsg11694

I completely understand where you are coming from. As a woman that doesn’t have much dating experience, people have looked at me as if I have 8 heads. Numerous people have provided closure about my lack of relationships due to not meeting the right person or bad timing. However, I am skeptical of this viewpoint. While I do see other attractive men, I may imagine myself dating them or a minor form of intimacy, never to the extent of actual intercourse. I love the idea of romance and how it can make one feel. However, I find sex repulsive. As a person who has dated someone kind of romantic and has had sex, I don’t see how it is as enticing as others make it out to be. Once again, I do not know if it boils down to my personality or simply who I was with. I don’t go out of my way to find a partner or flirt. This is something that will take a lot of speculation.

Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Jody89

I agree with your viewpoint when it comes to sex. It is very repulsive and I wish the expectation of it was not such a big thing. Like on some of the shows on TV, why does it always have to turn into someone screwing someone, why do they have to glorify it.

• Dsg11694

@Jody89 I concur completely. It’s overrated. And distasteful at times ☹️

• Catholicgirl22

Probably because there are so many different sexualities and genders these days with more being invented and competing for attention that it's too complex and people can't keep track or just don't care.

Like 3 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • ZoeyS__

I agree with you. Iike, yeah people can be attracted to the opposite and/or same gender or choose to change theirs, but when you start getting into being sexually attracted to objects, animals, yourself, identifying with animals, and all that other stuff, that’s when it gets to be a bit ridiculous in my opinion

• ClearSea

They're not being invented, just finally being named.

Most Helpful Guys

• SaintJonesy

I'm asexual but I wish I was aromantic too. Not having sexual attraction is a boon, I wish I didn't desire romantic attachment too. It seems like it would be simpler, although from your take y'all have to deal with a lot of the same shit as asexuals. Minor shit but it adds up when it's literally every time you have to seld-disclose your identity.

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
  • wyldun

does that also effect your sex drive in the same way?

Is this still revelant?
    • Well... let me explain.

There is a differnce between being aromantic and being asexual. Some people don't experience romantic attraction AND sexual attraction.

Since I identify as an aromantic I just don't get the whole romance thing. It doesn't affect my sex drive in my case.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1335
  • Logorithim

Thanks for explaining this, but, TBH, I am still having a hard time wrapping my arms around it.

Reply
  • rjroy3

"So here are some things we would like you do know:"

"2. We are not being like this just for attention
    It's not that much of a big deal. Probably it's one of the least interesting things about us."

Then why bring it up? lol. It's kind of like starting a conversation with someone and opening with, "Let me tell you about all of the least interesting facts about myself that will probably bore you. But hey, let's give it a whack anyways".

Disagree 1 Person
    Reply
  • Lostranza

I think that aromanticism is a real thing and that people should respect people who dont necessarily have romantic inclinations. I dont know why it is so hard for people to understand. In fact most people come into the world this way and others stay this way into adulthood.

Reply
  • 100lbguy

I totally agree because I'm myself aromantic but a very sexual person, I don't why I'm aromantic but I wish I had romantic attraction because its hard to keep a relationship if you don't how to be Romantic and people will only think you only looking for sex and heartless prick

Reply
  • genericname85

i wonder when we will start flipping our shit, cause you just marginalized queer and all other sexualities out there by just casually subsumizing them under the plus.

i say same rights for all the bullshit! xD

Reply
  • DeVille_

Asexual here. Glad you know that Aromantic and Asexual aren't the same thing, too many people get them mixed up :/

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • bethshepherd

Each to their own. Good thing so many ARE into romantic relationships, it keeps me very busy with work.

Reply
  • Dudeman1234

I feel this was a very elaborate way of saying "Some people prefer to be single".

LikeDisagree 3 People
    Reply
  • Browneye57

Every point you made is the opposite of truth. So much bogus bullshit.

LikeDisagree 4 People
    Reply
  • Oram52

I honestly didn't know there was thing like Aromantic, I honestly feel a bid sad someone not feeling romantic attraction.

Reply
  • AD240pCharlie

People assume that I'm aromantic just because I don't want anything to do with relationships.
    I'm definitely able to feel romantic attraction, just ask Cat Valentine!

Reply
  • ovoxo_

This whole time I thought I was asexual but I'm actually aromatic

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • PrettyRegular

That can't be only a bad thing. Pretty amazing that it's possible. Men are created for attract about women and other way around.

Disagree 1 Person
    Reply
  • Jonny317

Hyperromantic guy here - seems like the aromantic ones and I always seem to click.

Reply
  • Angelina25

We all love you for who you are!

Like 2 People
    Reply
  • RedRobin

Nice take

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Klaasen_henry

good job

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • Penelope_

Wow nice take!

Like 1 Person
    Reply
  • arifkhan125

i liked none of them

Reply
  • JimRSmith

You don't know what you're missing.

Reply
  • Show More (28)