Would you date someone with a criminal record?

Would you date someone with a criminal record?
Say before or during a date with someone that you fancy, they disclose to you that they have a criminal record. Is this an immediate deal-breaker?
  • Yes, I'd give them a chance.
    Vote A
  • No, I wouldn't associate with someone who's had legal trouble.
    Vote B
  • It depends (e. g., on the offense (s), whether they've been pardoned, etc.)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• depends on the offence. all make mistakes and you need to give them the chance to be better in the present/future. no one has the right to judge and condemn for we are all mess ups in some way, or many

Unless it is a woman who is thinking of dating a NONCE/Rapist. Those people deserve no respect, even after contrition

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I would ask them to explain what happened. I'd appreciate their honesty but I'm a strong believer in the fact that we're all creatures of habit. If they had a history of violent crimes or were compulsive thieves or addicts, I doubt I'd be willing to continue things. I know all too well that there are cruddy people who will happily lie under oath as well, though (some convicts are victims). I'd listen with an open mind and make the best judgement I can.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 26

• If it is something minor, then I wouldn't care, like shoplifting in her youth or some other juvenile nonsense. I might even overlook a DUI depending on how it went down and how she currently handles herself. But if it was a serious charge, that would be a big red flag.

2|0
    0|0
  • Only if they have changed. For their own reasons, not because of been with me.

connuestrodios.files.wordpress.com/.../lionking2.gif

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends totally. If they murdered children probably not. If they refused to pay a parking fine, went to court and lost and got a criminal record... then yeah i'd overlook that.

2|0
    0|0
  • Depands on what they were charged with.. But it most likely would not matter.. Unless the gall killed her ex, abused animals or children or something of sort.. A little turn off that she wasn't smart enough to not get caught but in most cases not a deal breaker..

1|0
    0|0
  • It is not a deal breaker in and of itself. I have to know the context.
    Violent offenses? No!
    Petty theft, first drug offence, stuff like that, only if they made an honest effort and turned their life around.

1|0
    0|0
  • No I have no criminal record cause I'm smart enough not to get caught. I see no reason why I should date someone with a criminal record when I have more options, who don't have criminal records, to choose from

1|0
    0|0
  • Meh jail ain't as bad as people think it is though I do recall seeing a dude get punched in the face because he was sitting on someone else section of concrete which was hilarious

1|0
    0|0
  • Just depends on what she did. Got drunk and loud once at a party and got arrested, meh it happens. Killed a family of 7 with a butter knife while each watched another die, probably not.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not, it would just kind of depend on what had happened and what the crime was.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd give them a chance as long as it wasn't homicide but it would effect negatively of my opinion of them.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the crime committed. It depends (e. g., on the offense (s), whether they've been pardoned, etc.)

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what they did. If they got a DUI years ago, no problem. Or shoplifted as a teenager. If they had an ongoing record of violations, then no.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was friends with a woman with a C. R. I wanted to date her. Almost did but she disappeared. That was a long time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what they did, and how they dealt with rehabilitation.

1|0
    0|0
  • yeah

i actually wanted to date this girl. she was charged for assault with a deadly weapon.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it only depends on the crime and actions afterwards

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't associate with someone who's had legal trouble.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the offense (s) lmao

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and I have.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends what they got convicted of.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 16

• It depends (e. g., on the offense (s), whether they've been pardoned, etc.)

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on what kind of offence it was, and when it was committed. If it was a relatively minor offence from years ago, sure. But anything to do with hurting kids or vulnerable people then no way in hell.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the offenses. If it's something really minor like shoplifting and a lot of time has passed, it wouldn't be a problem. But if it's something like manslaughter... uh yeah I wouldn't date you lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends, but mostly no. If it was a small thing, maybe I would consider and just keep checking for patterns.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hmm.. I suppose that it just depends on what they've done.. To an extent.. But honestly? The past is in the past.. I'm not going to stop something that happened in the past for something that could happen in the future. Quite frankly, the guy I'm dating now isn't exactly clean in that sense haha! I don't really mind it though. I mean hey, it's nothing major. And I don't hold it against him. But I mean.. Realistically, whatever a person maybe has done in the past shouldn't really affect that much I guess. I trust that I'm reasonable and sensible enough to not fall for someone who's utterly unstable or untrustworthy. So in the end, I guess that I wouldn't care all too much if nothing completely horrible has happened.
    Nice question! :)

1|0
    0|0
  • It completely depends on what it is and the reasons they did it

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the offense. If it was like shoplifting or something that wouldn’t be too big of a deal. But murder... hell no.

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe people can change but I would be careful if I don't know this person very well

1|0
    0|0
  • Depend on what she did for domestic violence no. Or if she had drug history.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure if I really liked them and it wasn’t super bad

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the crime.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would prefer not to

1|0
    0|0
  • No thanks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends

1|0
    0|0
  • A few minor mj or booze charges are no biggie. Abuse/violence (outside of maybe a barfight if young) is a no go. I’m on the fence about hard drugs/recovering addicts.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes