Do rebound relationships work?

What was your experience like? Is it more of a short term pleasure or does it turn long term?

617

Most Helpful Guy

• That depends on the definition of rebound relationship. If it's one you get in just because you're feeling sad and lonely after a breakup, then the odds on those are probably pretty low because it's not based on the right things. On the other hand, if you consider any relationship that starts soon after a breakup a rebound relationship, then in some cases they might work. I personally happened to get very lucky and got into a new relationship very soon after a breakup, but it was with someone that was obviously a very good match for me so I wasn't going to pass that up just because it hadn't been very long. That turned into a long term relationship that's still going, but I think that's because it was based on the same things that any good relationship starts from and not based on sadness and loneliness.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always thought it wasn't manners for the other person at the very least, but I've seen it work in some people (very few)
    I have a close friend who is always in relationships - literally takes 3 days to move into next and a lot of the times, she initiates too.
    Mind you, she doesn't go to clubs/bars to get drunk and hit on any salient guys, but she finds a less than conventionally attractive but nice guys at places like work, through friends, or meet ups that she thinks she can win over.

When she's in a relationship, she's very very devoted. I've never seen a girl be so nice to a guy - she would almost do anything even as she plans to break up with him, until the last minute (she'll be let him know that she no longer has feelings for him, but will continue to do things she has been for him until they're officially broken off)
    I don't know if its because she has been planning for the break up and already had her heart turned away from him, but she's very authentic in her following relationships and has no interest in her exes even when they run into each other. She genuinely devotes herself in her new relationship to see where that takes her