How would you feel if you got "reverse catfished"?

How would you feel if you got "reverse catfished"?
Reverse catfishing is, by urban dictionary's definition, when someone pretends or appears to be LESS attractive via their online profile than they actually are.

So, say you're going on a first date with someone whom you've met through a social networking or dating site. How would you feel/react if this person turned out to be considerably more attractive in person than they appeared in their photos?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Did they turn out to be a completely different person or do they simply look better in person?
    The first case would be iffy, the second one would be fine if not preferred.

I thought it was a common practice to post some of the crappier pictures you have on dating profiles so that you end up exceeding expectations rather than not meeting them.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I suppose pleasantly surprised? If they looked like someone else entirely, then I would just be confused lol.

0|3
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 37

• That term doesn't even make sense because catfishing isn't pretending to be more attractive than you are, it's pretending to be someone else completely...

2|1
    0|0
    • Like you pretend to be by denying God's existence since we all know God exists. You're just pretending He doesn't.

• Show All
    • @Why_Bettie_Lazz Lol, I don't even need to say anything and I've still go you creating accounts in order to try and talk to me. I love wasting your time, it's hilarious.

• @Kkaos
      Not wasting my time.

Exposing you for the wuss that you are.

I love the fact that you block me after posting crap knowing I can't reply. It shows you don't have any guts.

• I still wouldn't like it but if i find them attractive i dont think it would be a huge issue since we are still compatible. I kinda get it when a girl does that if she normally only gets responses based on her looks or if guys are scared to approach her.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've had this happen and it is annoying, also you kinda of feel as if you don't know the person, so you have to start over and ask questions you've already asked because you don't actually know if this was the person you were originally talking too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow, i would be completely pleased by the surprise, i would even compliment her by saying, you are more astounding in reality than what your photos suggested, oh my god, this is my lucky day

1|0
    0|0
  • Come to think of it some girls on dating sites purposely put a unflattering photo as their profile pic. Then when I check out the rest of their pics they're really pretty. I think they possibly do it to get less messages from guys because they would get so many if they used their best pic. Scenario 2 if she's not even the person in the pic I would be confused as fuck.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly I can't imagine putting too too much thought into it, I always find myself liking how people look in person more anyways. I always find what's wrong with pictures, but with a person I have them to keep me thinking like a real person

0|0
    0|0
  • I know its vain but I have nothing but true love on my mind but to love. i feel i still need a basic sexual attractoion to someone the more so the better but the the only reason to be with someone if they were the person the still acted like online and it would be fucking amazing to have a date first off and 2nd i would really be thrilled

0|0
    0|0
  • If, I like her was what she is and, she turned out even better then, what's the problem.
    I don't know why but, my photos never come right. All my friends/acquaintances click horrible photos of mine so, if, someone could like me for those photos, they'll definitely see a better me in person.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's just about looks, then I would assume that girl might just be bad at taking good pictures (which actually is a plus, because it means she doesn't invest a lot of time into trying to look the best possible) and think that's a #jackpot

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess it depends, if she was a less attractive person of herself I'd be happy with it, and count myself lucky. However if she pretended to be a completely different person I might have trouble trusting her witch is really bad for a first date.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there's a Brothers Grimm story just like this.
    A handsome and wealthy man who doesn't shave, cut his hair, or trim his nails for like five years. In order to find a woman who will love him for who he is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pleasantly surprised. I'd probably be like "wow, you look amazing!" but besides that, the date would go as it would otherwise.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it was simply just not very good photos but still the same person then I suppose it would be a nice surprise. If it was actually a different person then I would just end the date there and then.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would get surprised, but won't show it to her because this will make me seem overly excited and I am sure that I can creep her out if I do that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they need to learn photos. But I don't think they were doing it to be dishonest.

0|0
    0|0
    • Lol, not everyone has mastered the sorcery of being photogenic.

• If they had faked a good look it's more likely they were deceiving as not many would purposely make themselves look bad.

• I would feel like 'you Lying bitch' & probably not trust her enough to really proceed with things in at least the romantic sense.

0|0
    0|0
  • If the pictures were not her I'd be suspicious, but assuming she wasn't doing it for malicious reasons then I'd probably be happy

0|0
    0|0
  • My brother reversed catfished on a dating site as an experiment because he wanted to know how girls would treat him if he was ugly. He is a reverse catfish on this website too because he thinks it's funny and entertaining to pretend to be ugly. I would never get reverse catfished because I don't go on dating sites and I don't meet with people I met over the internet. But if I hear about someone else doing it on here or any social networking site, I'd be wondering why they did it and what their purpose was because it sounds even more pointless than regular catfishing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wtf geez and this is why online dating doesn't work.

Nobody is honest.

0|0
    0|0
  • I still got catfished and I don't like people who catfish so I'll just bail.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 15

• Interesting! i'd feel confused i think, like why would you want me to assume your less attractive than you actually are lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • JACKPOT!

0|0
    0|1
  • I'd be so confused and not be able to trust him. I wouldn't be sure if he was even the same guy I matched with or a friend standing in. I'd feel played and very scared of his intentions.

I wouldn't stick around.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well.. That's definitely not a loss I suppose 😂👌🏼 I'd definitely be pretty surprised! But I'd understand, since people don't want people talking to them simply because they're attractive.. They don't want to attract superficial people pretty much. It's pretty reasonable from how I understand things. Being attractive has its perks, but also its downsides! I might feel a bit lost since I had a different impression of this person, but I'll understand their intentions behind the white lies. In the end, however, I only view appearances as a bonus. I'm all about personality and the overall character quality that a person has. It's a complete bonus if they also happen to be attractive! :)

1|0
    0|0
  • the opposite happens. women and men with photoshop and altered images. IF this imposibility really happened i'd still have to find out the person's chatacter. cause this is what matters

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess I'd be happy, but I've never heard of that happening.

1|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't that simply mean that the person is not photogenic?

0|0
    0|0
  • My lucky day

0|0
    0|0
  • Happy

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be pleasantly surprised.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't care it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be confused.

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually posted a photo of me being as it is that month and few months later, I lost a lot of weight and looked different from my original photo, I posted. My ex wondered if that was me or not, I told him I have the same eyebrows and face just that lost the cheeky fat and humongous breasts ( or so I thought I had) Every pic I saw of myself, It never looked exactly the same. Sorry to disappoint!! :P

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually the other form of catfishing is more common. I've only ever met one guy who was way better looking than in his pictures. Unfortunately he suffered from such low self-esteem issues that he didn't believe me when I told him, thought I was just teasing him, got mad, and said he didn't think he was hot enough for me, and refused to see me again. It was very bizarre.

0|0
    0|0
  • That kind of happened to me. I met a guy that never showed me his photograph and I thought he was ugly and then saw his photo after we broke up and realized he is a lot cuter than I thought he was.

0|3
    1|0
    • And you felt lucky?

• @aresmaarten We didn't break up over looks - we broke up over religious differences and he asked me out years later but I didn't think I was ready to date.

Recommended myTakes