While in a relationship is it ok to give the opposite sex compliments?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what really. I think it is innaproprite to for example tell another guy or girl how hot or attractive they are. This seems out of place and a strange thing to even want to say someone else (why notice enough to care about telling them). But if it is like on their academics or work related or in general then I dont see the issue.

0|0
    0|0
    • So even if it's someone you are in a completely platonic relationship with you're not allowed to compliment them about looks. What about a relative? lol

I see where you're coming from but your opinion is a bit extreme. Can a heterosexual woman give other heterosexual women compliments on their looks in a relationship? According to your opinion they should not.

Not to mention physical attractiveness isn't the only thing that matters obviously so there could be complements that aren't about looks that could be inappropriate.

• Show All
    • You've never been a completely platonic relationship with a person of the opposite sex who is heterosexual? Not even someone you don't want to date?

• Outside of work? No not really. When I was in school yeah but as I have gotten older it becomes harder to find men to just be "platonic" friends with and now that I am in a relationship I really dont desire or feel the need to invest in platonic friendships with guys either. Like there is no need for me or desire. I have my boyfriend, female friends, gay male best friend and family and co-workers to keep me social and happy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Look the only difference in the spirit of your question is INTENT. What is your intent when giving the compliment? If it's just a compliment then fine but if you have an intent on the compliment going somewhere else well then the answer would be A BIG FAT FUCKING NO. Don't be a creep. Hope this helps.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Why shouldn't it be? I know it's 2018 and some people are going crazy about these things, but it is absolutely fine. Compliments are always good, depending on how you say it to them. Why wouldn't someone want compliments? Everyone wants to be appreciated by the other people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, of course, it is ok to compliment friends and say nice things to people. Everyone appreciates a sincere compliment and if your partner is so insecure that you can't say "oh so and so you look nice today [more mindless conversation about things like weather/work/whatever]" then they are not ready to be in a relationship. It is not ok to say "yo I would totally fuck the shit out of you" to a complete stranger regardless of whether or not you're in a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ofcourse you can ! Its all about what words you use and the context. Say a girl got a new haircut you can say things like: it suits you or it looks great/better than before. Using words like cute and hot however are more likey making you look like a flirt.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's fine. It's almost easier to give compliments because it is more objective and doesn't automatically mean you're romantically in to them. You can just be like nice eyes, you're kind, you're really funny and it means just that

1|0
    0|0
  • No not really, depending on what kind of compliment and to whom. Compliments are initiators of relationships, and with the opposite sex it may make your partner feel as though you are trying to hook in another partner, or feel unsafe someone may start liking you.

0|0
    0|0
    • So if a teacher compliments a student about how they did well in class that's an indicator of a relationship? YIKES!

• I think it depends on the compliment. Like I have several married coworkers that are guys. If they get a new haircut/glasses/tie and it looks good I'm going to tell them. Not in a I'm going to report you way, but in a hey changed up your look and it works kinda way

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, so long as it's tasteful and "safe for work".

I personally don't care if my man flirts with others, so long as it's known that it's just in fun and not to be taken seriously.

0|2
    1|0
  • Depends on how it's done. For instance "nice shirt or I like your hair" I think is ok. Pretty much anything beyond that I don't. Also depends on how your spouse feels about it. If my girl doesn't like me complimenting other women I think it would be wrong to do so. You should always keep your spouse's feeling into consideration that is if you care for them. That is just my opinion

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I absolutely believe so. I am married, and happily so. But that being said, I'll make comments about an attractive girl, and she'll make a statement about an attractive guy... it keeps things fresh... and it honestly makes you pay more attention when the relationship may begin to get stale. If you don't care what he says, ... or he doesn't care what you say... one of y'all will end up cumming on another person.

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly I think it is a lot of unnecessary stress added on your partner you dont need to compliment any other girls if your with your girl there is just no point in it throw yourself into the relationship and dont add the drama or the stress on your lady

1|0
    0|0
  • Just because your in a relationship don't mean that has to kill your personality! Compliment them but don't mean it in a sexual, low key tryna hit on em type of shit you know? It's called having a good personality

1|0
    0|0
  • Talk to your partner of what compliments they consider okay or not okay. Usually the limit is "nice" or "good", don't use cute, hot, sexy, etc.

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the context and how the comments are worded. If my partner said to me something like, "Babe, those jeans really suit that chick's figure. They'd look awesome on you". My reaction would also depend on how secure I was in the relationship and on how my partner made me feel and his thoughts and comments about my body. If I were rarely complimented and felt my man thought my body was flawed and yet he complimented other women, I would feel insecure and hurt.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes! When is it every wrong to tell the person that you are with that they look stunning, beautiful, amazing, etc. Even if you are with someone for 10 years, you still remind them of how beautiful they are to you. You never stop giving compliments to a person you are with. Remember if you are going to say it, then you better mean it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell yes. We kinda appreciate being appreciated by our partner. But you know them better than anyone else so use your best judgement to gage how many compliments are too many. But there is no harm in letting someone know that you care and that they are important to you!! 😁

0|0
    0|0
    • He's asking is it okay to compliment people you're *not* dating

• The same wprks for if you aren't dating though. Use your judgement but a little kindness can go a long way

• usually, if the woman is immature about this kind of topic, and mostly envious girls are, don't fking do it. a mature woman would understand it, but don't count on that too much. you need to asses her character before speaking.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have any issues with my so complimenting another woman. I'm secure with his love and attraction for me.

0|1
    0|0
  • A genuine, harmless compliment is ok. Like "hey, nice haircut". But anything that suggests romantic or sexual interest is not, like

0|0
    0|0
    • Sorry it sent in accident.
      Like "hey, that dress really looks nice over your curves" isn't as innocent anymore.

And when in doubt, just avoid it altogether. If you have to ask, it's most likely inappropriate.

• Of course. But it’s the intent behind it that determines whether it’s OK or not. If you give someone a genuine compliment just to be nice, as opposed to saying it as a way of flirting, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes as long as you there is no intent other to show simple kindness. everyone could do with a hug or a compliment generally both

0|0
    0|0
  • Complimenting something is a thin line for most... best to play safe and keep it professional but be mindful... why are you in this position from the get go... it's one thing to look... it's another to act

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as it’s just about their personality, achievements or maybe their makeup/outfit but never directly shout their body or face because that’s disrespectful

0|0
    0|0
  • why not? relationship is one thing and being honest another. being honest: why are you posting this shit anonymously? I guess you wanna see if its ok to text other girls

0|0
    0|0
    • Why is him wanting to text other girls instantly your assumption for all you know he could be single

• I said " I guess"... of course he can although why hide his identity?

• Well you never know his reasons are his ya know. Hope my intail comment did not come off to rude I was just curious and if it did I am sorry.

• Of course, it’s just being nice. I mean, unless it’s like ‘damn, you’re so sexy’ or something 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • Within reason, yes. Telling a woman she looks pretty or that you like the way she styled her hair is OK. Telling her she has nice tits or a hot ass isn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there is a thin line between compliment and flurting... it should be avoided when in relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutly! I think it's important to tell your partner what you like about him or her! It makes the person more confident and you got yourself a sexier partner!

0|0
    0|0
  • To a degree I think it's ok. Man I tell ya young folks sure worry about a lot of stuff that didn't seem to matter

0|0
    0|0
    • Hell I told my fine as hell redhead almost 6 ft tall 50 yr old Dr. She smelled really nice

• of course, you are not a slave because in a monogamous relationship still be sociable and frisky. @TinaSp Anonymous Questions should be eliminated to reduce trolling

0|0
    0|0
  • Providing its innocently spoken without malise and it's truly to boost morale and not flirt or imply one's self

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I'm perfectly okay with that. Unless you're insecure and don't trust your partner, I see no reason to have a problem with this.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is very necessary to give compliments to opposite sex while in a relationship or not, it simply makes their day! And they'll love it when they here this from their partner. 😊
    Hope this would help!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe they should be completely off-limits. Are some compliments more inappropriate to say in a relationship? Yes. But intentions matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup actually that's really very very essential. Make urself clear before giving a word make sure it's doesn't resemble in a flirty manner

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell yeah it is! Maybe don't go overboard but a complement can go a long way! People do almost everything for a reason. Having those things appreciated is a great feeling for anyone

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Absolutely. You're not dead when you're in a relationship nor is the opposite sex your enemy now. A relationship is all about trust not about turning off everyone in the world.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is fine, sometimes someone may be having a bad day and a nice compliment may be all they need to make their day better

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, if your partner gets jealous just reassure them that your there's, girls get jealous its apart of life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like "hey baby sweet arse you're towing there!" "I want to squeeze your arse and give you a rim job!"
    Sure. Perfectly fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes just make sure to give then to your partner as well

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, nothing wrong there as long as your not gawking over them, is my opinion on it

0|0
    0|0
  • Your compliments shouldn't sound like you are flirting with the person

0|1
    0|0
  • It's more than okay I guess. I mean it's alright, you should compliment each other here and there

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how open-minded or liberal your partner is! Personally I'm married and wish I weren't.. but I have a beautiful daughter giving me hope

0|0
    0|0
  • Are there any rules and regulations when your in relationship? I don't know..
    I always like to compliment cz thats make them happy

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't ever do it in front of your partner.. My mom always yells at my dad whenever he compliments other woman even though it's a nice compliment..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes just don't get disrespectful and don't cross that line. But complements are good self-esteem and confidence builder's

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course. Maybe just dont do it around whoever you're dating if it makes them uncomfortable or jealous

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and if my significant other dosn't think so then I wouldn't stay because I'm a very flirty person

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes, but don't give too many, it makes you seem desperate and clingy

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes