Sex Education: A Brief Guide

We’ve all seen them, the panicked “Could I be pregnant?” questions. I am always amazed at how little sexually active grown-ups know about the reproductive system and the risk involved when having sex so I have decided to write a myTake covering the issues which get queried quite often. I know a lot of you will be thinking to yourself “Who doesn’t know that a blow job can’t get you pregnant?”…..more people than you’d think unfortunately! I will also highlight the risks and opportunity to get infected with STD’s for those unclear.

Sex Education: A Brief Guide

Oral Sex

What is it? Putting someone’s genitals in your mouth (fellatio, cunnilingus, blowjob, going-down)

What can I catch? The most easily transmitted are gonorrhoea, genital herpes and the more rare syphilis, but it is possible to contract chlamydia, HIV, Hepatitis A, B and C, genital warts and pubic lice from oral sex.

How can I prevent this? Use condoms and don’t have oral sex if there are any herpes like open sores or warts visible however, The type of HPV that causes genital warts can live in the skin without causing symptoms to an infected person. However, it can still be possible to transfer the virus when warts aren’t present. I believe there are also devices/products which can be used to put in between the persons mouth and the genitals to avoid the skin on skin contact required to pass some of the conditions. These are more prevalent in the States so I’m afraid I don’t feel comfortable explaining the benefits and uses of such things beyond their existence and purpose.

Can I get pregnant from it? No. You cannot get pregnant from oral sex.

Handjob

What is it? Physical stimulation of a man’s penis using the hand of someone else.

What can I catch? Warts, repetative strain injury

How can I prevent this? For hand stimulation, you could wear a latex glove as well as the man wearing a condom, just make sure it doesn’t come into contact with any other body parts when you’re done. And be aware that no protection is fool proof - any sexual activity with someone who’s infected with genital warts puts you at some risk.

Can I get pregnant from it? No. Not even if you have ejacualte on your hand and touch your croth, the likely hood is so low I am saying it's virtually impossible.

Dry Humping/Rubbing

This is the most common one that causes confusion and worry as people seem to have very little knowledge on sperm, how it travels and how long it stays alive.

What is it? Dry humping is generally when two people simulate sex by rubbing themselves against each other. Often this is done with clothes on, sometimes only underwear.

What can I catch? Similar to the hand stimulation this is skin on skin contact so the main concerns will be warts and herpes. Herpes through kissing is always a risk whether the person has a sore or not they may still be able to pass the virus onto you. Same goes for genital warts and herpes.

How can I prevent this? There isn’t much you can do if there are no visible signs and you are determined to have skin on skin contact. Asking your partner if they have any conditions and a visual check are about as far as you can go without having a medical test prior to the act.

Can I get pregnant from it? Ok – so this is often asked as sometimes the woman will allow the man to ejaculate on her body, sometimes around the genitals. If the semen (the fluid containing the sperm) is dry then the sperm are dead. Sperm have no sense of direction so the idea that they will somehow search out the vagina and impregnate is rather ridiculous. The only chance of this happening is if the man was to ejaculate directly onto or into the vagina opening, and even then the chances are about as high as when using contraception. With no sense of direction the most likely scenario is they will never even make it close.

Put it this way, there has never been a case other than the birth of Jesus son of Mary, where a virgin gets pregnant”

To make this very clear, if a man ejaculates on a woman’s breasts, face, hands, legs, ear she will not get pregnant. Sperm cannot travel anywhere near the distances required and unless you are smothering your fingers with cum and then putting them inside her, sperm on hands will not be a threat either.

Penetrative, Vaginal Sex

What is it? Penis in vagina action, when a man puts his erect penis inside a woman’s vagina and ejaculates there without ‘pulling out’

What can I catch? Well, this is how the majority of sexually transmitted diseases are passed. Here is a list of some of the diseases and related conditions which can be passed from person to person from having full, penetrative sex; Bacterial Vaginosis (BV), Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea, Hepatitis (Viral) Herpes, HIV/AIDS, Human Papillomavirus (HPV), Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) which can cause infertility in women, Syphilis, Trichomoniasis.

How can I protect myself? Many STD’s and STI’s do not have any immediate symptoms so the person infected may not even know they are infected. Using condoms is the most effective way of protecting yourself but the best way to be sure is the have a test. It isn’t the most romantic of conversations to have during the early days of a relationship, but I think a lot of people are more than happy to have a check-up as long as the subject is approached in an adult manner and both parties agree to it (no point in just one of you being clear if the other is a walking petri dish of disease!). So, for STI’s condoms really ae the best method.

Can I get pregnant from it? Absolutely, definitely YES. If you are having unprotected vaginal intercourse then yes, there is an 80% chance EVERY TIME of you becoming pregnant if the man ejaculates inside the vagina.

Is the “Pull-Out” method effective? It’s a game of chance. Sperm is present in pre-cum, this means a man does not have to ejaculate in order to release the sperm. Although it is a much smaller amount and the likelihood much lower, it is still a risk. There are thousands upon thousands of sperm in each ejaculate and it only take ONE to fertilise an egg and it only takes half a second delay in pulling out to leave thousands of the little swimmers inside you. Boys and girls – DON’T RISK IT! IT IS NOT A METHOD OF CONTRACEPTION! You may have been using it for days, months, years even but it still doesn’t mean it’s safe or reliable.

Penetrative, Anal Sex

What is it? Penetrative sex where the anus is the orifice of choice, as opposed to the vagina. Anal sex has a higher risk of spreading STIs than many other types of sexual activity. This is because the lining of the anus is thin and can easily be damaged, which makes it more vulnerable to infection. This is why lubrication is always advised to avoid any unnecessary friction and tearing.

What can I catch? Chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts, gonorrhoea, HIV, syphilis

How can I protect myself? Use condoms, plenty of lube and go slowly. As the anus does not naturally lubricate itself it is much easier for tearing to occur and therefore much easier for infections to get into the bloodstream. This is why people used to associate HIV and AIDS with the gay community as it is much easier to pass through blood contact. Use water-based lubricants, which are available from pharmacies. Oil-based lubricants such as lotion and moisturiser can cause latex condoms to break or fail so always be wary of any lotions on your hands or massage oils.

Can I get pregnant from it? Absolutely, definitely NO. Women do not keep eggs in their bottom (well, some might but that’s a whole different myTake, ha!) so therefore ejaculating inside of an anus will in no way risk pregnancy.

Sperm – The Facts

Sex Education: A Brief Guide

I often see questions asking about sperm and whether it can get someone pregnant in this situation or that, so here are a few basic facts about the sticky stuff….

Now – sperm cannot survive outside of the body on dry surfaces for very long at all. For instance, clothing or bedding – it will be dead before it has dried, so there is NO risk of getting pregnant from ejaculate on sheets or underwear, however, in warm and wet environments (such as a bath tub) it can last a little longer, although still not a great amount of time and the likely hood of a woman becoming pregnant from such an incident is extremely, extremely slim. Inside the body it can last up to five days, so if you have had unprotected sex you could fall pregnant up to five days later. Sperm can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours to reach the egg and once there is must compete against the others to try and fertilise it. Only one will win!!

There are roughly 300 million sperm per millimetre of ejaculate, to put it into imperial for you Americans: that’s about 1500 million sperm per teaspoonful”

Contraception – What’s out there and how effective is it?

Sex Education: A Brief Guide

Nothing is 100% reliable. There is always a small margin of risk. There are many different forms of contraceptives available so there will be something to suit everyone’s needs and lifestyle. Most, if you read the leaflets that come with it will say that effectivness sits around the 98% mark.

The most common is The Pill. There are two types of pill, one which has just one type of hormone in and one which is a mix of two (combi-pill). There are hundreds of different brands and most will have a different effect on the user. Some must be taken at the same time each day to be effective, whereas others – as long as they are taken every day will still be effective, the time is a little more flexible. The Pill is usually taken for three weeks out of four, sometimes no pill will be taken for the fourth week and some will have a sugar-pill or something similar, nothing which effects the body but is just there to help you keep on track. If you miss a day with your pill then the effectiveness of the hormone will be lessened. You will be more likely to get pregnant if you miss days.

Then there is The Injection, The Implant, The Patch. All of these methods use the same hormones to prevent pregnancy but they are less susceptible to human error and forgetfulness. The injection and implant both last for around three months. The implant is a small device which is placed under the skin. It releases the hormones over a period of 12 weeks. Once it has run out it must be replaced if you wish to remain protected. The Injection works in a very similar way. The hormones are injected into the body, usually in the bum or thigh, and they then gradually release over a period of 12 weeks. The Patch is changed weekly and releases hormones into the body through skin contact, much like a nicotine patch would. They are easy to apply and easy to change and Justas effective as other methods.

Then we have IUD’s (In Uterine Devices) or also known as The Coil in some places. There are two types of IUD’s; the hormonal and the copper. The hormonal works similar to the previously mentioned methods – it releases a form of the hormone progestin into the uterus. The progestin thickens the cervical mucus so that sperm can't reach the egg, whereas the copper IUD releases copper into the uterus, which works as a spermicide. Copper changes the make-up of the fluids in the womb and fallopian tubes, stopping sperm surviving there. IUDs may also stop fertilised eggs from implanting in the womb. The copper IUD is an effective alternative to the hormone based contraceptives but it does have to be fitted by a doctor or qualified nurse. It can be uncomfortable and a little painful but once it is fitted it can remain effective and in place for up to 12 years, depending on the type.

Then we have condoms, we all know about condoms and how they work. They prevent the sperm from entering the body and when they don’t fail are probably the most effective method, especially when used in conjunction with another form of contraception. Most condoms are a one-size-fits-all, so unless the man has an abnormally large or small penis then there should be no issue with the size. One thing to bear in mind is latex allergies, this can easily be overcome as now latex free condoms are easily available. You must be careful when using oils and lubricants though and read the instructions on both the condoms and the lubrication/oil as it can damage the integrity of the condom and cause it to break. Not cool!

As well as condoms there is also the Diaphragm available. This is a large rubber disc type thing which must be inserted into the vagina just before sex. Its aim is to act like a damn and prevent the sperm from reaching the egg but this too can be susceptible to chemical interference so please, check the instructions on bottles and such before use. I’m sure there are other methods but these are the most commonly known.

If you do suspect you might be pregnant, take a test asap. Don't wait around at home worrying about it, time is ticking and it's easy to find out if you are or not. Take a test and visit your GP to be extra sure, you will most likely be stressing for no reason. The female menstrual cycle can be highly sensitive to stress and other such things so you may just be out of sync and scaring yourself needlessly, so get a test!

Well that is the end of myTake, I hope this take has been of use to someone out there or at least puts to rest some pregnancy scares that some may be having.

Have fun but always remember: Play safe :)

Sex Education: A Brief Guide
21
15

Have An Opinion?

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous

Best take on this sites. I appreciate you taking then time to put this all together. I went to a catholic school that taught no sex was the best way to stay protected so this was very informative for my boyfriend and I before we reach that stage. Thank you for this.

Is this still revelant?
    • They aren't wrong, you can't catch diseases or get pregnant if you never have sex, but the religion is so messed up on sex

Most Helpful Guy

1420
  • AleDeEurope

There should be like a Hall of Fame for Takes, you know, for those takes that are awesome and really helpful, so that people can access them easier. This Take should be there, cause it's perfect.
    There are so many people that need to read this thoroughly, and right now, cause many of them are having sex without even knowing half of what it's said here.

• Ha! Well thanks, it is crazy how little some people know. But it's better to educate than mock so I thought I'd do a quick overview.

• BellePepper

OMG THANK YOU!!! I'm going to link people to this all the time. All. The. Time. O_O

• It's just crazy how many people don't understand the basics that keep you safe and child free!

• It's beyond crazy. It's a huge argument for better sex education in schools. Because what we have now is clearly not working.

• I think parents need to step up and make sure their kids know what they need to also. More responsibility for educating your own children in matters of life needs to be taken, but I also think schools do a shocking job at it. The basics of him an biology should be taught for sure.

• joemm

Another thing we need to realize is that an unclean penis is covered in bacteria that can be transferred to our partners during condom-less sex acts. A daily shower is required and lots of guys use one of those antibacterial penis health cremes too. This will keep things nice and sanitary down there. It's a smart move and will make the experience a lot more pleasurable for your partner.

• Robin48

The same goes for the vagina.

• Luv2BRealExotic13

GAG should keep this forever posted on the feed page! It should never be taken down!

Maybe just maybe this site will get less of the ridiculous sex questions from ignorant and irresponsible people. Thank you for devoting your time to typing something that's really helpful.

• JuicyBrain

Thank you for doing this. It seems like it's needed around here.

• I just can't believe so many adults don't know about their own bodies and how babies are made. Are they not a bit curious?

• JuicyBrain

Some aren't curious, others just don't know where to start or how to do research. Some have never asked themselves questions and live in a world ruled by magic...

• I think they think they just don't need to know, some people just seem to enjoy walking around in blissful ignorance.

• Stacyzee

Sex 101.
    Very informative for those who are just beginning their sexual lives

• bubble_tea

Great take!

I would only add that the implant seems to be the safest birth control at the moment with a failure rate of 0.05%.
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Comparison_of_birth_control_methods

• Thanks for the update Bubble. Any idea why it's more effective? Is it the same hormones?

• bubble_tea

You're welcome. Good question. I read it's the same hormones as in the Nuva Ring, thus it's a little head-scratching why the perfect use failure rate would be 0.25% better than the Nuva Ring.
      Maybe it has something to do with it releasing hormones constantly in your bloodstream everyday while you're advised to take the Ring out every 3 weeks. Another reason might be that the Ring sold to you might be damaged (heat kills the effectiveness of the Ring), so it will fail even if you use it perfectly.

Generally, anything that don't require you to remember to use it or your ability to correctly put it on will result in a lower failure rate for you especially if you're unreliable or inexperienced. The other top methods with lowest failure rates are also things that need a doc's assistance.

• What's a Nuva Ring? I've had my IUD for five years now - I'm not up to date on new things, haha!

• jacquesvol

Currently, about half (51%) of the 6.6 million pregnancies in the United States each year (3.4 million) are unintended :

www.guttmacher.org/graphics/UP-piechart-1-rev2.png

Think about it.

• This is why the world is so overpopulated. Those 'mistakes' go on to have their own 'mistakes' once or twice over. Why no one seem s to understand this can't continue I do not know. We are still holding fast to the idea that reproduction is key to survival... not the way it's going right now it isn't, it will be the death of us all.

• jacquesvol

Malthus wrote that long ago. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Robert_Malthus It didn't happen yet, despite much bigger demographic explosion than Malthus ever considered.

• Name rings a bell... will have to check that out. Thank you.

• FatherJack

Despite all our technology , the Western , mainly English speaking countries still have a " Dark Ages " repressive attitude to sex...& some of the highest teenage pregnancy & STD rates in the developed world. This is a useful & informative take & a lot need to read this.

• Its ridiculous, all the means in the world but too ignorant and lazy to educate our children.

• falafelany1

I think it's great that you posted this because a lot of people didn't have any (or not good) sexual education in school. This is really helpful for those people, and a great refresher for people who had sex ed.

• usernameisnttaken

Hahaha! I have to admit I laughed through this whole thing. Very informative to those who don't know but still I laughed. You're fully awesome dude

• Robin48

We here on GAG-like having you here. You are awesome also.

• YusiBear

Great take, I hope young people on gag read through this and educate themselves.
    I see a lot of people on GAG with little to know knowledge of sexual health and education.
    This should benefit them greatly.

• Sadly most of those who read it already know it all.

• YusiBear

That's too bad but I'll definitely share this to people who need it, if that helps.

• glad to know it's of use :)

• BlueEyedHipsta

Great take! Finally something we can refer uneducated people to!

But i must add that I am on a contraceptive implant and it lasts 4-5 years not 3 months 😊

• apexalpha

I loved the cartoon drawing
    Hopefully this take will reduce the Can I get pregnant from oral questions

• Phoenix98

An actual good mytake on the subject, though this could also be fixed by getting the talk from your parents, paying attention in sex ed and for the love of god use birth control.

• crystalt70

Great take! Very well written and informative. I will make two minor clarifications/corrections, though.

"Penis in vagina action, when a man puts his erect penis inside a woman’s vagina and ejaculates there without ‘pulling out’."

Regardless of whether he ejaculates inside of her or not, it is still vaginal penetration. This will have some younger ladies confused and thinking they are still virgins if he didn't ejaculate inside of her.

Bacterial Vaginosis is NOT an STD. It is an imbalance in the natural bacteria inside of the vagina. Having sex can upset the balance of bacteria, especially if a man ejaculates inside of her. You do not need to be sexually active to have BV. Something as simple as taking hot baths or soaking in hot tubs can upset the balance of bacteria and result in a BV diagnosis. If you are diagnosed with BV, don't freak out. It is relatively simple to treat. You must go to the doctor and you will be prescribed antibiotics.

• david_smith

It's very informative if u don't know much about sex. Thanks for posting this.

• Creole_Flavor

I hope these clueless people read this but they should pick up a damn book or for fucks sake use Google lol. Thanks for the take.

• R3d_Anonymous

Unprotected vaginal sex has a 5.8 to 30.0 percent chance of yielding pregnancy. Proper use of condoms reduce the risk of pregnancy to 0.116 to 0.600 percent per round of vaginal intercourse. Proper use of the birth control pill reduces the risk to 0.0058 to 0.0300 percent. Proper use of condoms AND the pill reduce the risk to 0.000116 to 0.000600 percent. With that combination (birth control and pill), if you have sex 100,000 times, the risk of pregnancy ocurring in ANY of those times is 30.0927372974 percent. 100,000 times is having sex every day for almost 274 years!!! And STILL the risk in any of those times pregnancy ocurring is well below 50 percent. The average American has a higher chance of dying in an ALCOHOL-RELATED CAR ACCIDENT in their whole LIFE.

• Yeah I know the risk is much lower, I have gone over this. However, having taken many forms of birth control most state in them 98%+ success rate.

And despite all of these precautions people still get pregnant when using birth control. Just like crossing the road, the likelihood of getting hit by a car is very low, but it happens every single day.

As someone who had unprotected sex with someone ONCE and got pregnant I can tell you now, it doesn't matter what the odds are it can still happen and playing the "it's so unlikely card" is a seriously dumb move.

But yeah, sadly myTakes are not editable and I was super tired and just didn't double check that one.

• Yeah unprotected is not a good idea. That's not "so unlikely". I was saying that taking the pills and using condoms makes it so.

• jacquesvol

Still, currently, about half (51%) of the 6.6 million pregnancies in the United States each year (3.4 million) are unintended : www.guttmacher.org/.../...tended-Pregnancy-US.html

• wolflover17

ummm just to interject you can't get HIV from oral sex

• Um... yes you can, that's why I put it there.

"If a person gives fellatio and has bleeding gums or a cut or ulcer inside their mouth, HIV could enter their bloodstream through infected fluid. This could also happen if infected fluid from a woman gets into the mouth of her partner during oral sex."

• Hiv is caused by any contact of body fluid. Bleeding gum, cut or etc is a body fluid.

• OrdinaryGentleman

I hate to point this out you forgot to mention the screaming seagull.

• Ok, I'll bite... what is the screaming seagull?

• While having sex on a beach, you remove your weiner and dip it in the sand. Then you reinsert. The result is a screaming seagull.
      -Urban Dictionary
      Its a variation on the bucking bronco.

• Or also known as the "oh fuck I just got punched in the throat".

• pro143

Thanks a lot

Nice information

More important than that is , the way u elaborate it

• YourFutureEx

Eloquently written 👏

• Mustachekitteh

The sperm picture made me laugh. :D

• ConfusedGrocer

One of the best takes I've ever seen here.

• Jaydog666

can't be botheted trolling you today. Snore!

• Nahidpie

this is good :-)

well done:-)

• Happylittlepills123

Loved this. It clears many of my doubts.

• subzero007

This is actually a good take :)

• Anonymous

this is amazing. thank you so much, i really needed to see this.

• Anonymous

"“Who doesn’t know that a blow job can’t get you pregnant?”….. more people than you’d think unfortunately!"

Not just trolls?

"Can I get pregnant from it? Absolutely, definitely YES. If you are having unprotected vaginal intercourse then yes, there is an 80% chance EVERY TIME of you becoming pregnant if the man ejaculates inside the vagina."

This isn't correct. It typically takes a few months of trying to get pregnant.

• If it was so hard, would there be so much unwanted babies around?

• Often couples trying for a baby have been using birth control for years. It can take months for the hormones to get out of your system. I thought 80% was high too but I did look into it.

• Anonymous

It's less then half her cycle in which a woman is capable of conceiving, it can't be more than 50%.

• Anonymous

Great take. I noticed you didn't go into side effects of the pill and other methods. The pill can cause blood cloths and can increase chances of getting cancer by 50% and also can cause long term inferltity. Also the idu can have some serious side effects to. Its always best to google and look up. Genetics can also make some of those more apt to happen to certain women. I never ever trust completely what a doctor says. I always do my own research and talk to a pharmist as well as they are more versed in side effects and which meds react or counteract others.

• No I didn't but thank you for mentioning them. The side effects of the pill are why I chose the copper iud in the end. Thankfully I haven't had any issues with it but some friends have. I could have gone into far more detail with a lot of it but I felt I might be making it too long.

• Anonymous

Perhaps a new take on the pros and cons of different BC methods?

• Anonymous

nice information.

• Anonymous

Wow.. looks like u put a lot of effort in this.
    Awesome take!