Waffles Reviews, Penny Dreadful.

Waffles Reviews, Penny Dreadful.

Spoilers for the first season, this is your only warning

I'm currently rewatching this in celebration of Halloween.

This is one of my absolute favorite shows, definitely top fifteen.

This show is Gothic horror in 1890s london. The Main Characters are Vanessa the woman tormented by otherworldly forces, Ethan Chandler (spoilers real name Ethan Lawrence Talbot with all that entails) The Heroic American Gunfighter from The New Mexico Territory and you can probably guess what else ,Victor Frankenstein who well is victor frankenstein only this time he is English not swiss, Malcolm Murray (Mina Murray's Father and played by Timothy Dalton) The Bold Explorer who is less Indiana Jones heroic styled and more Christopher Columbus murder your way across Africa styled but is looking to right his wrongs.The Irish hooker dying of consumption Brona Croft played by Billie Piper. Sembene the African Manservant who is more than he seems, Dorian Gray who is well Dorian Gray, and Caliban aka frankenstein's monster.

The biggest goal of the first season is to kill or save Mina Murray as she has been turned into a vampire by well you can guess.

The show actually is rather scary at times. The first time that I really got into the show was the second episode with the Seance scene. It takes a lot these days to make a possession scene absolutely terrifying but they managed to make it so. The other achievement is to make any scene with a nude Eva Green Terrifying. Let me Repeat, NUDE EVA GREEN. TERRIFYING NOT SEXY. I wasn't aware that was possible till this show.

I also rather like how they portray each character. The heroes are likable but flawed the villains are evil and scary.

In short this series is fucking awesome and you should watch it.

#wafflesreviewstv

#happyhalloween

1812
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• Still hella mad at the ending.

• I actually kinda liked the ending, I wouldn't have been satisfied if she lived, she is one of those tragic characters who I dont think was meant to have a happy ending

• :( that's so mean. I mean I would have done it differently. I don't know that I would have kept her alive but I would have changed the ending. It felt very rushed.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 17

• I didn't get as much of the horror element as I expected from this show, but it was still fairly creepy and dark. If you like Game of Thrones for the sex scenes, you'll like this show. It's good for Halloween, but not very family-friendly. Watch it on your own time or with your SO.

• I got bored of it by the beginning of season 2...
    It started off okay, but the thing just went downhill fast... When a new sub-plot starts they just seem to forget it and move on to something else... also her hallucinations just bugged me. No horror elements... just horror attempts in my opinion.

• this is one of the BEST shows EVER. the interweaving storylines, all of the literary allusions... amazing amazing AMAZING. and the soundtrack is STUNNING! i highly recommend it too! hope lots of people see your take and give it a go :)

• I thought it was cancelled? Anyways I didn't really watch that show. I think my mom and boyfriends watched some of it but I just wasn't into it.

• I loved this show but felt like the series finale was really rushed, which disappointed me.

• Beautiful visuals. Really good acting and an actually interesting plot that was suspenseful.

But fuck me did it end awfully. It was so rushed and clearly not well thought out. Everyone except the main character got a fairly neat 'wrap-up' but I'm thoroughly disappointed overall. It should never have ended where it did but suspect highly that they were told it was going to be cancelled.

I'd be willing to give them another chance and see them continue the show if they got more funding but I doubt it will happen. It ended on such a bad note for me.

• I’ve never seen it but this makes me want to watch it!

• Love the show, but hate the ending :/ felt too rushed

• Eva Green is SO hot. I will DL on Netflix to watch now.:)

• Nice show, too bad it didn't last longer.

• but they went through the whole arc and gave it an actual ending which counts for a lot

• I know, but still, I'd like another season :P

• I love this show

• I'll check it out, thanks :)

• Never seen it but might give it a go

• Liked

• I liked the show but the ending!!!😫

• good

• I'll have to give it a try

What Guys Said 12

• I am not really a horror fan - I saw a couple of episodes - It became for a me a show say I was looking at TV listings "Oh, PD is on if nothing else on I will watch it" rather than "Oh, PD is on mon 9pm I must watch it or record it"

• To me this show was just a tiny bit better than Twilight. No sparkly vamps but the same annoying angst littered throughout the series. The show jumped around too much and very loosely tied together. I hoped it would get better in season 2 but by episode 2.1 I knew why these stories only cost a penny back in the day and stopped watching after that.

• Very well presented, great visuals and nice creativity with character names and who and what they are. the first half of what is the last season was fine but then rushed garbage. Not sure what happened behind the scenes but it's possibly the worst ending. The show had scope for another 2 seasons at least.

• Fucking love Eva Green. Almost anything she's in her tits come out.

• This was all new to me

• coollll

• ill watch it i guess...

• Many things don't end well.

• Interesting

• Too many food joints in the US.
    You all work to many hours in the long houre makes me look productive attitude unlike Europe so you dont have time to cook.
    not that the EU has exactly got every thing right but there work life balence is much better

• Interesting

• Sorry... don't watch it.