Waffles Reviews, Halloween 1978

Waffles Reviews, Halloween 1978

In 1978 John Carpenter came out with Halloween a movie about Michael Myers

Unlike most slasher movie villains, Michael Myers doesn't really have any reason for his evil. From the moment he kills his older sister when he was 6 years old to the events of the first film 15 years after he was just simply evil. He didn't grow up abused, he didn't have bad parents, he just kills his older sister because he was born evil. Unlike most of the movies that it inspired, Halloween doesn't revel in gore.

Waffles Reviews, Halloween 1978

This is what Michael on the right did to Bobby Simms, of the five humans that Michael kills in this film (Yes the body count is a grand total of Five, seven if you count the two dogs Michael Kills) This is the one that sticks with me, every single aspect of the shot is designed to hide the gore. Sure Michael has just killed Bobby. You can clearly see that there is a knife pinning him to the wall. However you can't see any blood. The movie minimizes its gore. Its not about the gore, or the bodycount. Its about the buildup of the tension. Now John Carpenter is a true master of horror. The movie relies not on how gory the kills are, nor how many people die, it relies on building up the tension. There is a killer on the loose and he is stalking Laurie Strode (one of the greatest heroes in all of horror movie history.) and even when he is stalking Laurie, Dr. Loomis (another truly great horror movie hero) is stalking Michael.

Waffles Reviews, Halloween 1978

The man knows that Michael isn't really even a person, just evil residing in the form of a person. He isn't out to capture Michael, he goes with every intention of killing him. The character is played by the great Donald Pleasence in a truly amazing performance.

The 1978 oscars were already a complete travesty with the fact that Annie Hall got best picture over Star Wars. However it also got best screenplay which honestly not only was again Star Wars better but the best screenplay of the year was Halloween. (Fuck Woody Allen is always a good sentiment, he's a shitty person and also the cause of some of the worst travesties in the history of film awards) In short Halloween is truly one of the greatest films ever made.

47
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• This movie scared the sh*t out of me when I was younger but this is actually my favorite scary movie now.
    I watch it at least a half dozen times leading up to Halloween and of course on Halloween night.

Most Helpful Guy

• In the genre of horror especially with the evolution of special effects movies usually do not stand the test of time so the fact Halloween is still going strong after 39 years is testament to how good it is.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

• I saw this movie several times in the days leading up to Halloween this year as it was constantly on TV, definitely a classic!

• I like it.

• Now I have to watch it

What Guys Said 6

• You’ve certainly captured what makes it a stand out among the slashers and a great film. Yet I’d never say one of the rested by any stretch, it lacks nuance, unpredictability, character development. It’s non surprising

• The first one was definitely better than the rest

• Nice review

• Good review

• Interesting

• Bad review , but very good film