My List of the Top 10 Mindf*ck Movies

In this list, I'm going to include mainly science fiction movies which are difficult to understand. Full of paradoxes with imaginary science, I've excluded Interstellar and Inception from this list as both of them are highly rated and everyone knows about them. We'll talk about slightly less famous but great paradox sci-fi movies.

10. Source Code

My List of Top 10 Mindfuck Movies

Director: Duncan Jones

IMDb Rating: 7.5

Synopsis: Helicopter pilot Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) is part of a top-secret military operation that enables him to experience the last few minutes in the life of Sean Fentress, a man who died in a commuter-train explosion. The purpose of Colter's mission is to learn the identity of the bomber and prevent a similar catastrophe. As Colter lives Sean's final moments, he becomes more certain that he can prevent the first tragedy from occurring -- as long as he doesn't run out of time.

9. Edge of Tomorrow

Director: Doug Liman

IMDb Rating: 7.9

Synopsis: When Earth falls under attack from invincible aliens, no military unit in the world is able to beat them. Maj. William Cage (Tom Cruise), an officer who has never seen combat, is assigned to a suicide mission. Killed within moments, Cage finds himself thrown into a time loop, in which he relives the same brutal fight -- and his death -- over and over again. However, Cage's fighting skills improve with each encore, bringing him and a comrade (Emily Blunt) ever closer to defeating the alien

8. Upstream Colour

Director: Shane Carruth

IMDb Rating: 6.7

Synopsis: A woman (Amy Seimetz) unwittingly undergoes a series of bizarre experiments, then meets a kindred spirit (Shane Carruth) who may have experienced the same ordeal.

7. Primer

Director: Shane Carruth

IMDb Rating: 6.9

Synopsis: Intellectual engineers Aaron (Shane Carruth) and Abe (David Sullivan) build and sell error-checking technology with the help of their friends Robert (Casey Gooden) and Phillip (Anand Upadhyaya). But when Aaron and Abe accidentally invent what they think is a time machine, Abe builds a version capable of transporting a human and puts the device to the test. As the two friends obsess over their creation, they discover the dark consequences of their actions.

6. Butterfly Effect

Directors: Eric Bress, J. Mackye Gruber

IMDb Rating: 7.7

Synopsis: College student Evan Treborn (Ashton Kutcher) is afflicted with headaches so painful that he frequently blacks out. While unconscious, Evan is able to travel back in time to difficult moments in his childhood. He can also alter the past for friends, like Kayleigh (Amy Smart), who was molested by her father (Eric Stoltz). But changing the past can drastically alter the present, and Evan finds himself in nightmarish alternate realities, including one where he's locked away in prison.

5. Coherence

Director: James Ward Byrkit

IMDb Rating: 7.2

Synopsis: On the night of an astronomical anomaly, eight friends at a dinner party experience a troubling chain of reality bending events. Part cerebral sci-fi and part relationship drama, COHERENCE is a tightly focused, intimately shot film whose tension intensely ratchets up as its numerous complex mysteries unfold.

4. Shutter Islands

Director: Martin Scorsese

IMDb Rating: 8.1

Synopsis: The implausible escape of a brilliant murderess brings U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his new partner (Mark Ruffalo) to Ashecliffe Hospital, a fortress-like insane asylum located on a remote, windswept island. The woman appears to have vanished from a locked room, and there are hints of terrible deeds committed within the hospital walls. As the investigation deepens, Teddy realizes he will have to confront his own dark fears if he hopes to make it off the island alive.

3. Mr. Nobody

Director: Jaco Van Dormael

IMDb Rating: 7.9

Synopsis: In 2092 the last mortal human (Jared Leto) on Earth reflects on his long past and thinks about the lives he might have led.

2. Predestination

Directors: Michael Spierig

IMDb Rating: 7.5

Synopsis: A temporal agent (Ethan Hawke) embarks on a final time-traveling assignment to prevent an elusive criminal from launching an attack that kills thousands of people.

1. The Matrix (1999)

Director: Lana Wachowski

IMDb Rating: 8.7

Synopsis: Neo (Keanu Reeves) believes that Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), an elusive figure considered to be the most dangerous man alive, can answer his question -- What is the Matrix? Neo is contacted by Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss), a beautiful stranger who leads him into an underworld where he meets Morpheus. They fight a brutal battle for their lives against a cadre of viciously intelligent secret agents. It is a truth that could cost Neo something more precious than his life.

As the title suggests, this is my list hence arranged irrespective of IMDb ratings. For new users, imdb links are hyperlinked hence you can click on them to find IMDb page of the respective movie.

I know some of the synopsizes are very short but, these are movies manly based on Mystery Thriller hence I don't really want to reveal all of it. Believe me, these are great movies and they won't let you

down.

This Take ends here :)

714
Political_dude is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• 4d

The list is great! I have watched all of them! I may suggest another movie:

MOON

IMDB: 7/9, RT 89%

Astronaut Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) three-year shift at a lunar mine is finally coming to an end, and he's looking forward to his reunion with his wife (Dominique McElligott) and young daughter. Suddenly, Sam's health takes a drastic turn for the worse. He suffers painful headaches and hallucinations, and almost has a fatal accident. He meets what appears to be a younger version of himself, possibly a clone. With time running out, Sam must solve the mystery before the company crew arrives.
    Release date: June 12, 2009 (USA)
    Director: Duncan Jones

• 1d

Aha i guess i heard about the "butterfly effect" before. I think i should watch it one day. :D

• 5d

I watched all but primer and I like them all

• 4d

Awesome list! Thanks for sharing! A little surprised that Ex Machina didn't make the list.

• 5d

I've only seen 1, 4, 6 and 9.
    Good take :)

• 2d

#1 source code :) great list!

• 4d

Awesome list! I've watched all of them and they're awesome. Thanks for sharing :)

What Guys Said 14

• 1d

I haven't seen upstream color, primer, and coherence. I agree with the list. They're really good mind fuck movies!

• 3d

Vanilla Sky
    Antichrist

• 3d

The Sound of My Voice

• 4d

This is a pretty good list of movies. There's only a couple I haven't seen but of the ones I have seen are great movies.

• 5d

Absolutely great list man !!!
    These movies makes you wonder about their ideas for a while.
    And then usually take a break from watching anything else. lol

• 5d

Oh man, no Mulholland Drive? No Lost Highway? No Inland Empire? Smh, absolutely plebeian. Although I did enjoy Shutter Island.

• 4d

Nope. I have list of about 25 movies but reading a mytake about 25 gets lengthy and boring.

• 4d
  • 4d

I've seen some of them. Timecop (1994) is another mindf*ck movie.

• 4d

Filth
    Feed me
    Serbian Film
    Oldboy
    Battle Royale
    Snowtown murders

• 3d

Predestination the story of this -_- whaaaaaaaaaat the fu*** the movie in shot "all the movie is one person" hahaha , watch it for u to know what i mean

• 4d

Lol
    Try " being John malkovich"
    You'll realize that your list is not that twisting

• 4d

Good list. Primer is especially good.

• 4d

Mr. Nobody is boringggg

• 4d

You forgot Shriek 2