Good, Young, Celebrity Role Models

Some celebrities, are role models for young people at one point. Then some decided to go all out doing something crazy, which we would have never expected of them. Nowadays we have a lot of young celebrities who are bad role models for young people, and on this website, I've seen many people shine the light on them. Why? There are hardworking celebrities out there trying to make something of their career, yet people decide to focus on fools? I don't understand that. So I'm dedicating this MyTake to a few celebrities (Millenials and Gen Z) who are worth looking up to:

1) Zendaya

22-year-old, Zendaya.
22-year-old, Zendaya.

I have always admired Zendaya, from a young age, I started watching her on a Disney show called: "Shake It Up" I watched her DCOM (Disney Channel Original Movie) "Frenemies" then she was in "Spider-Man Homecoming" which I then admired her even more because little secret about me, I've always liked Spider-Man, and she played a fantastic role in "The Greatest Showman".

Zendaya is brilliant at what she does, no doubt, but what really made me put her on this list is something she said in an interview on a talk show.

Now she debuted on Disney Channel when she 14-years-old and she left Disney Channel when she was 22-years-old. This wasn't because she couldn't find any work elsewhere, she surely had plenty of offers, with being in Spider-Man, and The Greatest Showman she chose to stay at Disney.

When people questioned her: "Why are you still on Disney?"

She responded:

I still have a responsibility as this young person that I am to create positive programming for these young people. I have little kids that look up to me, I think of that as a responsibility, and I know there's so many parents that come up to me and just hearing them say: "thank you for being that for my daughter, or for my son, being an inspiration, for them, that means everything to me.

Why I really liked her when she said this is because you get most Disney Channel stars that reach her age and complain: "Well, I never asked to be a role model." I find that pointless to say because they're putting themselves on to a children's network, what do they think they're going to become? Children are going to see them as cool people who initially they will aspire to be like, if you don't want to be a children's role model do not put yourself on a children's network.

Zendaya was not ignorant to the fact children are looking up to her, she sees it as a responsibility which is right. She's being a positive icon for the children of this generation.

2) Tom Holland

22-year-old, Tom Holland.
22-year-old, Tom Holland.

Following on nicely from Zendaya, we have Tom Holland also known as Spider-Man himself. Now I didn't exactly grow up watching Tom Holland like I did Zendaya, but I did see him in a few films over the years "The Impossible" which I just called 'the water film with Namoi Watts in it' until I just googled it, and "The Edge of Winter" was a pretty good film too. Then in 2016, when he debuted as Spider-Man, I thought he was a really good actor who played the role well, I mean I genuinely thought he was an American teenager until I googled him. Not to mention he'll be playing one of my favourite book characters "Todd Hewitt" pretty soon. Favourite book character and favourite superhero.

Why Tom is on this list is because I admire his dedication for the role of Spider-Man. He had a gymnastics and dance background and he was clever and used that to his advantage. He does most of his own stunts as Spider-Man- even though he doesn't have to, he worked insanely hard on his body so he could be the right physique for Spider-Man, he even took up boxing.

But what really struck me was the fact he enrolled at an American high school, for a few days just to see what it is like to study at an American school.

He seems to be a dedicated young person, with a nice attitude.

3) The Fresh Off The Boat Boys

Hudson Yang (on the left) 15-years-old, Forrest Wheeler (on the right) 14-years-old, Ian Chen (middle), 12-years-old.

These three have basically grown up on the show "Fresh Off The Boat" they're all younger than me even, and I just thought I have to put them all together because they're brothers on the show, it's like they come in a three pack.

All of them are so young, yet so incredibly hardworking in their industry.

Hudson Yang - The centre of the show, he plays Eddie Huang, which is basically the main character. He's been nominated for 7 awards and has won 3. He's spoken in front of an audience at Google, at the age of 11, to have that confidence at such a young age is amazing! When I was 11, I could just about making eye contact with people (and I still struggle with that now) let alone sit in front of a bunch of adults and be interviewed by 2 other adults! Now, he's 15, and he still is concerned about issues such as representing his community, to have that kind of awareness at that age is brilliant.

Forrest Wheeler - A sweet character whose attitude has been adorable throughout the whole series, he plays Emery Huang. He's been nominated for 4 awards and won two! And he's only 14! In 2014, he won 7 first places in the Open ISKA World Martial Arts Championship- he would have only been 10! Then in 2015 he earned his second-degree black belt in XMA (extreme martial arts) and he does several other sports like swimming and tennis, I bet his CV will be packed out with a load of activities! Like Hudson, he is aware he is representing his community, which is a type of awareness many famous people still haven't come to realise.

Ian Chen - The mini-genius character, who's cocky but cute, he plays Evan Huang. He has been nominated for 6 awards and won 3. He uploads mini-covers of songs on Instagram, I've seen and he has a good voice for his age. It shows he's only willing to improve with his talents. Not to mention he's going to be in the DC comic book movie SHAZAM! as Eugene Choi! He's a singer, a television actor and a movie actor and he's only 12! I can't even remember what I did when I was that age, and like his older co-stars, he is also aware he is representing his community which is just outstanding for someone so young.

4) Cameron Boyce

19-year-old, Cameron Boyce.
19-year-old, Cameron Boyce.

Another Disney Channel actor who has been on Disney Channel since he was 12 and he's 19 and his last project on the network will be debuted in July. I watched him on "Jessie" and "Gamers Guide To Pretty Much Everything" and here is why I think he deserves to be on this list. He's a dancer, an actor and even has done some singing.

A lot of things that happen in the industry can really change you for the worst sometimes, so for me it's important to just remember who I was before the industry, and just continue to be that.

The biggest thing that people need to understand about the industry is that it does have effects on your personal life and it's important to just remember that, while chasing your dream is important, you continuing to be yourself is also what you should prioritise.

Is something he said in an interview which holds such truth. He didn't just say this, however, he appears to live by this. At his age, many young men who have gained their fame have done drugs, behaved in an unorderly manner the list goes on.

But he still values his family, his relationship with his sister seems to be important to him, he has done an interview with his grandmother. Showing he values family is so important for young people these days because I think they're so inclined with social media and their devices I think they forget how important family can be. Having a cool young person we can look up to, as an example can help us see that if someone successful values family, then shouldn't we?

And that brings my MyTake to the end! As I said at the beginning of the MyTake I see so many people focus on the bad role models of this generation, we often forget the good. I've heard people say: "These kids can't look up to anyone these days", well those people above we can. My industry is writing and I aspire to be successful like these people, someone people can also look up to. People call the younger generations "messed up" and "trash" but there is so much more good out there, the bad is just louder. There are hardworking young people out there too. So stop looking down in the bin, and look above your head because people like these are rising. Support them. :)

910

Most Helpful Guys

• 6d

Nice take... The kids off of Black-Ish would have been nice to include too.. I see they are good influences also.. But, I'm sure you included young Celebrities you know.. So yeah.. Also "I've seen many people shine the light on them. Why?".. Unfortunately that's just how people are.. They give the most troubled individuals the most attention for different reasons.. Whether it's more help, or for entertainment purposes.. But in this case it's cause they "better stories" for Celebrity gossip news columns..

• 6d

"That's just how people are..." Sadly, that is true.
      I watch Black-ish every now and then, but I don't know much about the kids themselves so I didn't include them for that reason but thank you for giving them a mention.

• 6d

Yeah unfortunately... Just apart of the messed up world we live in.. And, I figured it was like that.. I'm sure you would have mentioned them if you knew.. 8)..

• 5d

Thanks for MHO! :D

• 7d

Sadly, idiots speak the loudest, that's why the positive messages of these cebelrities are barely heard of...

• 7d

Well, that's why people need to step up and give their words recognition.

At least you've heard of them now. :)

Join the discussion

98
  • 7d

This is an amazing Take.

• Robert Irwin, son to the late Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter".
    He is such a positive and upbeat fella, in his work and in how he comes across to others.
    He should be one of Australia's national treasures.

• Isn't he in the same line of work as his dad? If he is then he is not a good role model, because doing what he does gets you killed. He may be entertaining to watch, just like Steve was, but role model? Nahh

• Yeah, from that perspective I agree

• 7d

I've heard the name before, but I don't really know who he is, so thank you for putting him on here! :)

• Just have to say, while I tend to be a bit more of a pessimist than you - and while I confess that I really don't know the celebrities you have cited - this was really an impressive MyTake. A tip of the hat to you.

You clearly have a strong set of values and an ability to see things as they are and not tip the balance to one side or the other. As I say, I tend to be a bit more the pessimist, but people are more complicated than black and white.

You deserve a lot of credit for recognizing the good and commending it. Not my usual taste in MyTakes, but really well thought out. Nice job - and honestly, a pleasure to read.

• 7d

Thank you! I always love comments like this on my work.
      May I ask you what do you mean by "not tip the balance to one side or the other?" :)

• 7d

My school has a newspaper but only the younger kids can write it because the older kids have exams to focus on and when I was in the younger years, they didn't have it.

What I've done is I've joined a website for writers to get discovered, they can publish their content online for free, and the website works with several publishing companies so you have a chance to get discovered from them.

• 7d

Well, I hope it works out.

To be clear, I have been published but in newspapers and the like. I've not had a book published, so we are talking about different things. I love to write and do it quite a bit - including on this site. However, writing is part of my career - which, to repeat, is in politics - not the whole of it.

In any case, you are lucky to be growing up in a time where there are options like the website you mentioned as well as self-publishing. Of course, in a way, it makes it harder as you are up against more people than I was in my early days.

Still, keep it up. I wish you all the best.

• 6d

They may play a high influence on many lives of our teens but I would say they are far from ideal role models.

• i think that growing up with a celebrity in your age range an idolizing them is a lot different than idolizing an influential celeb that's much older. i do not know any of the people you mentioned, but everyone falls from their pedestal at some point.

• 7d

I mean, these people are younger celebrities who do appeal to younger people.

But right now, these people have been on the straight and narrow- whereas some of their co-stars have gone awol.

• 7d

It's not whilst they're on the children's network they go crazy, it's after they've left. Take Bella Thorne for example, she starred alongside Zendaya in the Disney show Shake It Up and she was a promising actress who seemed to have a bright future ahead of her like Zendaya.

And here are a few things Bella has been accused of doing: www.thetalko.com/.../

• 7d

i don't need a link to bella's exploits. i know disney is using her to promote other stars. it's really sad because she's not that big of a celebrity.

• 7d

Yes zendaya♡
    You forgot Shawn Mendes
    and dove cameron

• 4d

Kirk and Candace Cameron.

• 3d

Jaden Smith

Good, Young, Celebrity Role Models

He used his wealth to help people the people of Flint who previously
    did not have clean water.

• 7d

To me the ones who brag about how good their doing to me it means that’s just for Publicity. Ones I like you don’t hear from people.

• 6d

Do you think these people brag? :)

• 6d

I don’t know much about them but lot of my clients they do for publicity they haven’t made it in Hollywood yet.

• 5d

I see but I pass on making celebrities my role models.

• 7d

You forgot Logan Paul.

• 6d

TLDR

• 7d

Good mytake. I agree

• 7d

Good take

• 7d

Shawn Mendes did some good things too

• 7d

Really? Thanks for mentioning him in that case!

I don't really know much about Shawn Mendes, other than his good music. :)

• 7d

Damn, I wish I knew this. Thanks for mentioning him!☺

• 7d

I wouldn't expect someone to just know stuff like this haha. No problem!!

• 4d

I don't know if she's a bit old to be on the list but I'd like to add Shailene Woodley (27) from Divergent and the Fault in our stars (I think most people in their early 20s and late teens might have seen this movie). She's a feminist and activist

Also Cara Delevigne (26), she's the only model I'd consider as a positive influence because she spoken about the horrors of modeling industry and advocates body body positivity

Also Chloe Moretz (22) and Rowan Blanchard (17). Rowan is also a Disney actress, feminist and activist and has spoken at the UN Women

Malala Yousafzai (21), activist and Nobel Prize winner too

But I would advise young people to just be themselves and make their own path, rather than looking up to celebs/famous people

• 4d

That's good, thank you for mentioning those people.

By looking up to somebody you don't have to change yourself, you just admire their success and take a leaf out of their book, and put that hard work into whatever it is you want to do.

• 6d

Cool