Things Only Dancers Experience

If you are a dancer you will totally understand the struggle and if you aren't you will probably be really surprised! Plus there was a lot of weird posts on the "dance" part of this site and I wanted to get more dancer info about there that isn't about strippers lol, so enjoy!

#1 GOING IN PUBLIC AFTER COMP OR RECITAL AND FEELING EMBARRASSED

As dancers we have to do crazy makeup, and the worst feeling is when you have to dodge stares in the grocery store because people are judging your dance clothes, makeup or stuff you're carrying. But at the same time it's a badge of pride that shows you're a fierce performer!

Things Only Dancers Experience

#2 YOUR FEET. THAT'S IT.

Dancers feet are the worst, we all know, and it means you often can't wear open toed shoes without someone looking at your feet like ????. But again, your feet showcase that you're a great dancer who works hard in class, and that's the best.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#3 WHEN YOU HAVE A MILLION QUICK CHANGES AND YOU FEEL BLESSED AND CURSED AT THE SAME TIME

We have all had quick changes in our schedule, but when you get all quick changes you can't help but feel happy because of it but also kind of annoyed that you're actually gonna have to be able to pull that off.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#4 HAVING COSTUMES WITH SEQUIN FABRIC IS THE ITCHIEST THING EVER

Having costumes with this satan sequin fabric is so painful, and so many tiny little scratches.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#5 WHEN YOU'RE IN CLASS AND THE TEACHER SAYS "ONE MORE TIME" FOR THE THIRD TIME

We've all had our dance teachers say "one more time" three or four times, it's the worst, so close to the end yet so much farther than you think.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#6 WHEN YOU PUT ON YOUR COSTUME SO THEN YOU CAN'T EAT SNACKS

We've all had the emotional struggle when you just out your costume on but then you really want a snack, but you know the rule "no eating in your costume" so you just cry internally.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#7 YOU TAP WHENEVER YOU CAN

Whenever a dancer's feet are idle, they tap dance, it's just a fact. Under the desk at school, standing in line, watching tv, anywhere and everywhere.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#8 YOU COUNT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN 5, 6, 7, 8!

You can only count things in 5, 6, 7, 8, that is the only option.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#9 YOU ARE BILINGUAL IN "DANCE TEACHER LANGUAGE"

All of our dance teachers speak in their own unique languages that consist of boop's bop's, oo's etc. that we all learn to understand.

Things Only Dancers Experience

#10 YOU GET CHOREOGRAPHY STUCK IN YOUR HEAD ALL THE TIME

Other people get music stuck in their head, but we get choreo stuck in our head, and we have to do it to get rid of it.

Things Only Dancers Experience

BUT IN THE END WE LOVE IT SO MUCH!!

POST ONE OF YOUR FAV DANCE PHOTOS DOWN BELOW!

(you can blur or cover faces if you want :)

here are some of my dance photos in a collage, post your favs too
Things Only Dancers Experience
15
21

Most Helpful Girl

• lumos

I don't perform on stage anymore, just practice because it's fun and a good workout. But I remember a lot of these things from performing as a kid, haha.
    One thing I really like about dancing is when you're struggling to get a choreography right, and suddenly it just clicks in your head and your body does the right thing without you even knowing it's about to do the right thing. It's almost like an out of body experience.

• over_it

that's the best feeling omg yes

Most Helpful Guy

• humanearth

Some of the things I relate to. I used to do public speaking for a living. It would have repeatedly repeat myself 10 to 15 times a week and week after week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

2014
  • btbc92

Omg. Yep. I remember when I used to do ballet, mixed dance and Chinese dance all at once. Once we finished on one rehearsal, we had to do it next one that we had to figure out in less than a week.

• Ellie-V

I am a dancer and I relate to all except 2 and 7 โ˜บ๏ธ

I just make it a habit to constantly take care of my feet so that I donโ€™t have to hate them ๐Ÿ˜‚

Also, I donโ€™t have to habit of tapping. Instead Iโ€™m always moving my hips and shoulders... which is just as annoying when you realize everyone is staring at you confused ๐Ÿ˜‚

• over_it

hahahah, yes, i'm a contemp and pointe dancer so the feet aren't an option lol but the hips, I FEEL THAT lol

• BlackRoseFairy

I used to have a variety of dance classes and I can partially relate to all this. I used to hum the music we were practicing on and doing the steps and people looked at me and laughed or smirked.
    Another thing I really hated were the tight hair updos we had to sport in one of the classes. After 3 hours of practice my head was hurting as much as my feet

• over_it

sis i know the looks and when your head is throbbing, i feel that

• John_Doesnt

Only a male dancer knows what it's like to rip their crotch in half.

• Kitty46

I took dance in high school, my mom owned a preschool, they were a dance class, I took a private dance class, I felt really good & excited about learning a dance routine, I donโ€™t remember the dance, I remember the song I dance to, I dance to Aladdin โ€˜A Whole New Worldโ€™ After that I learned to dance more by watching TV, I watched dance shows, dance movies, MTV & VH1, I learned some stuff from watching Dirty Dancing. In the 90s, I was in a dance program for disabled people, I performed for people, I needed to wear a lot of makeup, once I performed for 300 people onstage. I even dance in a snowman costume, it was my first performance, I was so nervous, my nose got very itchy, I handle myself good when my hat fell off, I continue to dance. I was on TV too, I had too much lipstick on, I got lipstick on my teeth. I also practice dancing at home too, I even choreographed some dances.

• Samhanks

Do not feel embarrassed or guilty of anything, you are what you are, a Dancer, and you may be dressed that wy, who cares, have confidence and move around with a positive approach. Dont be conscious, just like, school children, policemen, firefighters, etc. They too have their uniforms.

• over_it

who is guilty and ashamed?

• Poormanscomedian

I am commenting here for the 6 points because I could care less for dancers

• over_it

great awesome thanks for your help!

• shephardjhon

As a dancer what are your thoughts on this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99oyqImToM

• over_it

This is sick, i think this would be awesome to use in a class!

• lovedejj_xo

I miss performing! But the counting ahhh still do it lol

• Swimmerdude2013

Dance is it much fun to learn. My grandma taught me to waltz. All I ever think about is the steps.

• Rere1324

i am a dancer and i do tap and we are in the middle of exams i hate when you join a new class and they have learned things you don't know or miss a week

• Anome

The counting. To me all is pam pam paum pam pam. Or pam pam break pam pam pam. Yes. Crazy people.

• over_it

hahahha it's the best lol

• Logorithim

I've always had a lot of respect for the talents of dancers.

• over_it

that's awesome, thank you

• Kayla45

Very interesting myTake, although I'm not a dancer I still found it to be interesting.

• Arielbubble

I have only had this very very briefly for school plays. It must be a lot of hard work lol

• Dav1ss

I got forced to do ballet for 2 years I hated it so much I felt all this myself it was awful

• over_it

oh i'm sorry, that's not a positive dance experience to have

• Dav1ss

Pointe shoes are nasty

• over_it

yUP i know girl

• StellarDrift

Can totally relate to 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10. But serious the "one more time" kills me.

• over_it

haahhaha, it's the worst!

• bloom6654

i want to dance!!! but unfortunately dont have the time or money to learn

• over_it

oh girl, it's the best! but i get it it's very time consuming and costs a lot, im sorry you dont get to pursue that

• bloom6654

oh how i wish i could what type of dance do u do?

• over_it

i do everything, i compete in every style so like ballet, acro, contemporary, lyrical, jazz, tap, you name it, i do it.

• linstein

Dancers have hot and taut bodies.

• over_it

thanks perv

• linstein

Muscles everywhere. I dated a dancer from thriller musical. She was incredible.

• Jennifer_32

This feels like a first world white girl problem

• Ok please explain your profile. Are you female or male?

• over_it

and dancers are not only white and female, nice try though the effort is there lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Clarity01

dancers aren't only white and female... you dumb

• AwesomeLadaaay

Nice

• Secret6620

Awesome article ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ

• Secretgardenblood

Good take

• cunnilinguist

Don't we all have things only we experience?

• themomo84

Great mytake!!

• Lgmswolf024

I relate so much ahah

• GayHowellMeme

I donโ€™t experience these

• Iron_Man

Nice my dear Watson

• paledude

The dancers donโ€™t count where I go ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Anonymous

Dancing is great up until early 20s, then they need to find a real job. haha

• over_it

dancing isn't my job lol, but why do you say it's not a real job?

• Anonymous

It is true lol

• Anonymous

I learned a lot.

• Anonymous

I'm currently trying to learn salsa bump, I'm also going to try and learn other ballrooms

• over_it

ah ballroom is the best, such a helpful skill and you can really learn it at any age, pretty awesome

• Anonymous

and it helps people who are shy, break out of their shell because guys are supposed to lead, and guys who are shy, like me, start to understand that its OK to take over

• over_it

that's awesome, i love that for you!

• Anonymous

I used to teach dance in an after school program, but I can relate to the choreography bit as it was always running through my head. I would be in a line somewhere doing the steps with my hands and then look up to see someone looking at me like a total weirdo, lol.

• over_it

hahahaha i get those weird looks all the time lol