Extreme/Unusual music genres that I enjoy! Not for the faint of heart!

420Rachel

Do you ever get tired of the blandness of "popular"/"hit" music? Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, etc. I honestly hate the popular music of today. It bored me to tears. I crave creativity, boldness, and a little bit of darkness in my music. This is a MyTake of extreme/unusual music that I genuinely enjoy. (Examples included ;) ) I am not trying to shock anyone with this list. It's merely for entertainment. ❤️ And who knows, perhaps you'll hear something you like.

#1 Splittercore/Extratone

EDM has some of the biggest names in music. From Tiesto to Skrillex to Aphex Twin (I love Aphex). And while most people may be more familiar with the more popular subgenres of EDM such as dubstep and house in this first section I will be showcasing one of the more extreme subgenres. Splittercore and extratone are subgenres of the larger subgenre known as speedcore. Some notable artists are Diabarha, Hylna, and Annoying Ringtone.

Splittercore is defined as when a track's bpm falls between the 600 bpm to 1000 bpm range.

https://youtu.be/e5-Rk4zcytE

Extratone is defined as a track of having over 1000 bpm.

https://youtu.be/SWjBJlOSn-s

This is one of my favorite extratone tracks. It's actually pretty sick in my opinion. There are much more extreme examples out there with some tracks exceeding even 2000 bpm.

(I quite like this one :D It's a fun one)

#2 Witch House

Another subgenre in the EDM category is witch house. Witch house is a dark occult-themed microgenre and visual aesthetic that emerged in the late 2000s and early 2010s. It's heavily influenced by chopped and screwed hip-hop soundscapes and industrial and noise experimentation. It features the use of synthesizers, drum machines, obscure samples, droning repetition and heavily altered vocals. Some notable artists include Sidewalks and Skeletons, Crystal Castles, and CVRN.

https://youtu.be/vrrO7MKVrQU

https://youtu.be/k6t69KQOBCg

Not necessarily a "witch house" song but kind of related. I absolutely love this song.

https://youtu.be/QBN-1Q0_Fiw

#3 IDM

Sticking with EDM the third genre I will talk about is IDM (intelligent dance music). I mentioned Aphex Twin before, he is one of my favorite artists and much of his music falls under this category. Emerging from electronic and rave music styles such as techno, acid house, ambient music, and breakbeat, IDM tended to rely upon individualistic experimentation rather than adhering to characteristics associated with specific genres. Some notable artists are of course Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, and Signs. I like this genre quite a bit.

#4 Deathstep

Keeping with the EDM genre (lots of EDM huh?) I will now showcase Deathstep. This is dubstep's darker twin brother. It combines death metal elements with dubstep; specifically, the beat and the bass. Some notable artists are Dyroth, Code: Pandorum, and KROWW.

#5 Trap Metal

Alright finally moving on from EDM (although I could go on) trap metal is a subgenre of rap rock and alternative metal music which combines hip hop with heavy metal. It's predecessor is rap rock/metal with some notable artists of rap rock being Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More, and Linkin Park. Trap metal is characterized by distorted beats, hip hop flows, harsh vocals, and down tuned heavy metal guitars. Although many songs in this genre vary greatly. Some names associated with this genre you probably have already heard of such as XXXTentacion, Rico Nasty, and Ghostemane. I'll post some tracks from artists you may be unfamiliar with. ❤️ Many songs and artists are having influenced by anime. So maybe some of you that enjoy anime will like this genre.

Scarlxrd and Shush are two of my favorite artists of this genre.

#6 Deathcore (we're about to get heavy)

Here we goooo! I've been excited to get to this one. Metal is my favorite genre of music and deathcore is among one of my favorite subgenres. Deathcore is a combination of metalcore and death metal. Deathcore consists of death metal guitar riffs, blast beats, and metalcore breakdowns. Notable bands include Whitechapel, Shadow of Intent, and Chelsea Grin.

This one is an instrumental, no lyrics, but I love this track.

#7 Blackened Death Metal

Blackened death metal (also known as black death metal) is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal that fuses elements of black metal and death metal. The genre emerged in early 1990s when black metal bands began incorporating elements of death metal and vice versa. The genre typically employs death growls, tremolo picking, blast beats, and Satanic lyrics and imagery. Some bands of this genre are Signs of The Swarm, Shrine of Malice, and Thy Art Is Murder. (No I am not a Satanist lol)

#8 Progressive Metal

Maybe this one will be easier for some of you to stomach lmao. Progressive metal is probably my 2nd favorite subgenre of metal. Progressive metal (sometimes known shortened as prog metal) is a fusion music genre melding heavy metal and progressive rock, combining the loud "aggression" and amplified guitar-driven sound of the former with the more experimental, cerebral or "pseudo-classical" compositions of the latter. The music typically showcases the extreme technical proficiency of the performers, and usually uses unorthodox harmonies as well as complex rhythms with frequent meter changes and intense syncopation. Some of you may even know bands from this genre such as of course the band Tool, Dream Theater, and my favorite prog band being Gojira although they are not exclusively prog.

Alright I could just go on and on with this MyTake but I shall end it here. If you've possibly heard anything you like and would like to explore more of any of these music genres I can certainly give you some suggestions! Again as I stated at the beginning of this MyTake it is not my intention to shock anyone, it's merely for entertainment purposes! If you have made it to the end and have sampled at least one song from each category thank you so much for giving me your time! Peace and love. ❤️✌️ And rock on!

16
1

Most Helpful Guys

• hellionthesagereborn
    Correction, Faith no more is not rap rock, they are rock/metal and experimental rock (also a great band).

As for the list, first one was awful, I don't mean that to be disrespectful but I do not see the appeal. It sounded like a jackhammer and some one trying to yell over it (clearly not my cup of tea).

As for EDM/IDM, in my opinion they are too repetative and not complex enough, not bad or extreme in my opinion but just again, not my cup of tea (I need complexity and layers to my music and EDM/IDM don't have that (and to be fair they are not really designed to (their for clubs and dancing so repetive is better in that regard).

Deathstep and Trap metal were all right, again, they don't seem to extreme to me (but I listen to metal and all sorts of other music so maybe I'm biased).

Deathcore however, that was actually getting good, had complexity and intensity. I've never listened to Whitechapel before so that was a pleasant surprise.

Blackened death metal was alright, it wasn't the extremism of it more the consistency of it that isn't my thing, I like my metal to be like a roller coaster, I like to feel it build up and then hit those high energy levels. If it stays at that level all the time I fell like it looses some of its "oomph". Otherwise again, not bad though not all that extreme in my opinion either.

As for prog metal, how did you not have Devin Townsend listed? He is insane! Though perhaps he isn't dark enough for your tastes? He has the intensity, unquestionably but his also tend to have an almost up beat sound to them (well for his newer stuff, his older stuff (strapping young lad) is singificantly harder. If you like prog metal you should absolutely check him out:
    Strapping young lad: https://www.youtube.com/embed/mL9Aohgd79IDevin Townsend project: https://www.youtube.com/embed/kJ8XDWx8VWMhttps://www.youtube.com/embed/cjjIna3j1Nc
    Is this still revelant?
    • 420Rachel

Yeah I know not all of these genres are that great but I like some weird stuff. 🤪 And I have heard of Devin Townsend! I haven't listened to him all that much but I will definitely listen to him more. I've been meaning to check out more from him

• Lliam

@hellionthesagereborn. I feel the same way about music as when you said, "I like to feel it build up and then hit those high energy levels. If it stays at that level all the time I fell like it looses some of its "oomph".
      I'd say that I love music that starts out like a roller coaster, gradually climbing the hill, building, and then busting loose like when you go over the top and plummet into the crazy dives, curves and spins. Then the song goes back to something like beginning, climbs again, and ends with a flourish. I like to go on an emotional journey of sound that might go from sweet, soft or tender to savage and back. Dynamics complimented by highs and lows within the song keeps your interest.
      Strangely, I have to say that I didn't get that from the tracks you shared.
      Lots of bands have that idea wired. Now I think about it, lead breaks in the middle really turn me on, too.

• Oh I listen to weird stuff too thats why I'm not trying to bash it (I listen to "captain dan and the scurvy crew", its pirate rap. So again, not judging, just not my cup of tea).

Also yeah, listen to devin townsend. If you like darker then go with his early stuff like strapping young lad and ocean machine, if you want to hear what amounts to pretty much a spiritual experience listen to his newer stuff like Epicloud or sky blue. If you want something in between gai and addicted are good choices and if you want weird listen to his concept album Ziltoid the Omniscient (also hilarious, but weird).

• Lliam
    • This was such a great MyTake, 420Rachel.
      I have a fondness for live musicians as opposed to electronic music. Because of that, I think I liked The Dreaded Mystic Abyss best. Those are incredible musicians.
      I was surprised to find some of the hypnotic electronic stuff like T-69 Collapse and Seven Forty Seven really enjoyable. I can see spacing out to that.
      I have to say that I'm not fond of Rap or noisy electronica. (Electronica probably isn't even the right word. I'm just thinking of some of the shit I've heard in clubs.)

Your knowledge of current music is amazing. I didn't realize there were so many names for genres and sub-genres. I hadn't heard of any of these bands.

Obviously, I'm old school. I'm a guitarist and singer who got started on British rock, blues-rock, prog-rock and hard rock when it was brand new. I specialized in playing stuff by bands like Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, etc. You get the picture. I went to hundreds of concerts and saw Sabbath when they opened for Grand Funk Railroad. Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, and ELP were new. Pink Floyd and Led Zep hadn't been around long. I even saw Yes when they were an opening band. I know. They're ancient now.

Anyway, thanks for the intro.
    Is this still revelant?
    • 420Rachel

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. 😁

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    Interesting, I never heard about most of these genres, but now, I kinda like some of them :)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

014
  • Kaneki05
    A Women with good taste. Don't know if you will like this but it's dark enough.https://www.youtube.com/embed/MZjvGiT0fWo
    • 420Rachel

Ooooo I do like this. I'll definitely check out more from her.

• Kaneki05

she only does songs about real life murders. Most recent was columbine shooting. To spread more awareness of how dark people can be

• 420Rachel

Yes I looked her up and read about it. I love the theme of true crime in her music. I enjoy crime documentaries so I'll definitely be checking out more music from her.

• Old_Golden
    I'm really pretty glad I asked for and read this... I'm glad I'm not the only one going Metal and EDM too, though I prefer trance, ASOT is a weekly listen for me... oh, an Faith No More? Tomahawk. "God Hates A Coward" was their most popular song...
    • 420Rachel

ASOT? And I honestly haven't listened to Faith No More all that much. I should listen to more from them.

• Old_Golden

ASOT is "A State Of Trance", it's a weekly Armin van Buuren DJ session/radio show. I think you can still listen to it on DI. fm but I'm not certain, I usually use YouTube. Metal, check out Baby Metal, Lady Metal, and Children of Bodom... mostly melodic but fun to blast in the car

• 420Rachel

I'm familiar with Baby Metal and Children of Bodom but not Lady Metal lol

• Liam_Hayden
    Very cool. Anything that isn't woop woop, snapped to grid, cookie cutter is something I'll give a try. I find myself listening to mostly music from before 1990 and stuff afterwards that does not auto-tune or do the aforementioned snap to a grid. I love to hear slight variations in a beat - 120 here, 118 there, 125 for the lead break, etc.
  • hmmm interesting pirate ship in that vid, but, lets pretend it held all the music and stuff you mention... this is for you :) https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZglX4P-tpcA
  • Archerer
    I am not so much digging the first few, but the last few are spot on. My fave is Fleshgod apocalypse. But then again, extreme and unusual music is my norm, I never listen to Top 40's or pop, or anything mainstream actually... Not that mainstream doesn't have some ok stuff, but I hear enough of it in my daily life, I won't turn it on for myself.
    • Archerer

Have you heard of IGORRR? They would be right up your alley... Here's one of my fave's in case you haven't:

https://youtu.be/UBakgOHKI-g?t=1431

• Archerer

Ooops, I time stamped it wrong, but whatever just listen about.

• Archerer

There's Opera, Death Metal, Dubstep, and everything in between!

• Ranasal_Gansen
    Great MyTake I like Boards of Canada wish you were my girl 🥺
  • This was pretty cool! Pretty awesome selection of genres that you like! Rock on! ✊
  • jshm2
    That was bloody awful, and you should be ashamed of your lack of taste. You might as well sit on a construction site - it would be more entertaining noise than any of that mess you're listening to.

If you're going for drops and tunes then it's Frenchcore.https://www.youtube.com/embed/gy27e7joxw0https://www.youtube.com/embed/GvrvQTUbUcAThe BPM count is largely meaningless. It's like counting calories in spirit.
  • IAMNathanael
    Very cool, you absolutely had me at progressive metal. I've been looking to start listening to gojira, I already listen to bands mastodon, elder and the ocean.

Based off the examples you've given, maybe you'll be interested in these, Praxis and Chaos face. Both projects masterminded my by prolific bassist bill laswell.

https://youtu.be/7fN7c5mqHRUhttps://youtu.be/vZ_K2UR7_sw

(1000 bpm? Lol)
    • 420Rachel

Gojira is an amazing band. ❤️ Honestly one of my absolute favorites. And I love Mastodon. I don't know Elder or Ocean but I'll check them out.

• 420Rachel

I like your songs. They're right up my alley haha

• 420Rachel

Oh and here's an extratone song that actually sounds pretty cool. It's 14,400 bpm ;)
      https://youtu.be/zRcDwc2K0l4

• pizzalovershouse
    every 1 has there likes an no 1s likes are all the same
  • bulletbob555
    I have varied tastes in music. I haven't heard these probably would have in a different time and place
  • msc545
    Very interesting mytake - thanks!
  • Are you norwegian
  • Fromdusktilldawn
    I try music from all different styles