Why Are Witches In Movies/Series Portrayed With Black Or Orange Hair?

Witches in movies and TV-series are more frequently portrayed with black or orange hair than blonde or hazel. #Witch #Portrayal #Movie

2234

Most Helpful Girls

• I never really noticed... I practice witchcraft myself and I have auburn hair... But I think red hair is more unique and stands out, while black gives that mystery... And that what they expect from witches in media

• Because black hair and eyes are associated with evilish, satin etc..
    Angels are associated with blond or beown hair and blue ir green eyes..

Lots of men like bad girls, satanic girls since they claim wanting to have sex with that instead of an angel.

• Any girl who claims to be "satanic" at your age probably has unresolved daddy issues and needs help.

• No.. Skin is racial.. Hair and eyes aren't

• Yes, they're. Facial features, hair and eye color also counts. This woman for instance has light-skin, blue eyes and medium blonde hair - like some Europeans. She's born that way. But many would say she still looks more African than North-European because of her facial features.
      i.huffpost.com/.../s-DESTINYBIRDSONG-large640.jpg

It's more common for Asians and Africans to have black hair than Scandinavians too. There aren't many Asians and Africans with natural blonde or orange hair. So yes, hair and eye color is as racial as the skin tone. So is facial features.

Most Helpful Guys

• Darker hair just seems more evil rather than blonde hair and the only time I can see blonde as evil is if you find the head cheerleader of a highschool and she's a mean blonde, that's as far as it goes with this, blonde is just not a very evil look...
    As for the orange hair it is because of the saying that goes that ginger don't have a heart and soul so that's why it's incorporated into them...

• Because blonde is associated with fair maidens. Light equals good. Dark (black) equals evil. Red haired children are devil's child. (That's what they thought anyway)

The thing is there are no witches, when Shakespeare wrote about them in Macbeth most people did not believe in them.

It's like this throughout a lot of mythology and genres. Black and red are often "the bad guys". Why are sith lightsabers red, Lucas could have made red good and blue evil.

I suspect it originates with blood and darkness. We would have feared the dark and seen blood as a warning.