Five Qualities Every Good Friend Should Have

Hello, this is a short my Take on five qualities I believe every good friend should have. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but provides a good flavour of the best qualities to have. Try to reflect on whether these qualities apply to you, and ways you can be a better friend in someone's life. Spread the joy :)

So here we go:

1. Honest

"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom" - Thomas Jefferson

No matter the circumstances, a good friend is always honest in anything that they say. Honesty is perhaps the most important quality a good friend has, because in order to build a trusting relationship between two individuals, there needs to be open lines of honest communication. There should never be a fear that you will be stabbed in the back at a later time because your friend chose to withhold information. Any friendship (or even relationship) is built on a foundation of trust, and the minute dishonesty rears its ugly head, is the minute that foundation of trust starts to wane. Try and think about always being honest when you reflect on your own friendships.

2. Happiness

“For every minute you are angry/sad you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Naturally, as social beings, we long for happiness and interactions with other people, as unhappiness can be a truly lonely place. When we're sad, we look for friends that are upbeat and happy to try and forget about what it is that is making us upset. And the best friends are those in your life that check in when you're sad, and try whatever it takes to make you happy again. Friends that brim with happiness make everyone's life a little bit better, and I feel this truly rubs off. A positive outlook on life can help erase the sadness and provide something worth looking forward to again. I truly believe that no matter what walk of life you live, always try and pay it forward. Try to help bring sunshine to someone's else's life.

3. Compassionate

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

Compassion, like empathy, requires an individual to be able to step into someone's shoes and experience what they are experiencing. It requires an individual to be able to "feel for" the other individual, and in this way relate to how they are feeling. It motivates people to go out of their way to help the physical, mental, or emotional pains of another and themselves. To be compassionate, a good friend needs to be moved by suffering, in such a way that they will do anything to prevent it from happening, and should it happen, alleviate it. It is a key cog in the manifestation of altruism, a genuine interest and keenness to help another individual in their time of need. Friends that display compassion are in many cases also patient, wise, kind, and perseverant. Reflect on the last time a friend was in need, and what you did to help them. Did you display compassion?

4. Loyal

"Give loyalty and you'll get it. Give love, and you'll get it" - Tommy Lasorda

A good friend displays unwavering loyalty. Through the thick and the thin, that good friend will always be there for you, and never leave you hanging in your time of need. They won't leave you when a more interesting person comes along, because frankly they don't care about that, they care about maintaining the friendship. If they move far away from your town, they still remain true to the friendship and make efforts to check in from time to time. When times get rough, this good friend will work to help resolve the issue plaguing the friendship, rather than let it continue to smother and fizzle out. Unwavering loyalty ultimately helps drive compassion and honesty. Has there ever come a time when you weren't loyal to your friend? Think about what ways you can be loyal moving forward.

5. Non-judgemental

"When you feel that others are lacking and failing .... first assess the skill, style, quality, results, mindset, support, professionalism and spirit with which you yourself play the game" Rasheed Ogunlaru

In today's world, it's sometimes easy to pass judgement on the way someone looks or acts, and this is usually without even knowing who that person is. A good friend is non-judgemental. When you have certain beliefs, cultures, expectations, or values, a good friend respects these, and helps support the decisions you make related to these. They never try to inject their own beliefs into your life to try and skew the way you think, rather, they provide their opinions to highlight your own beliefs. To be non-judgemental, a person needs to first be understanding, and if they find themselves passing judgment, they stop and think. Take a step into someone's shoes, and try to understand their perspective and backstory, because everyone is unique and has a story to tell. Next, comes acceptance, a genuine acceptance of who someone is without trying to change them. A good friend is able to do all of these steps. They are able to stop themselves when they feel they're being judgmental, they understand someone and accept them for who they are, and only then can they love someone without trying to change them.

______________

So that brings a close to my Take. I encourage everyone to reflect on their own friendships, and think about some ways that you can be a better friend for someone. Thank you for reading :)

JC

188

Most Helpful Girls

• 1. Open mindedness
    2. Compassion
    3. Honesty
    4. be true to who they or you are.
    5. Gratitude

• Great Take, JC :)

• V did V*2 contact you

• @Wowgirl10q haha, I just keep my followers to a bare minimum, people I’m decently acquainted with and don’t mind having in my notifications

• Understand

Most Helpful Guy

• Good Take, but I think we Need Friends that will tell us the truth rather than just what we want to hear, and sometimes that will require them being judgmental.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 16

• I can't believe you wrote this 😂
    you need to add writing to your list of hobbies/skills/talents!
    every word you wrote had meaning and meant something, so coherent and true. LOVED IT!

• You need to be a writer amazing job. You should be very proud of yourself 😀

• I think you should be judgmental. I don't mean that in the "if they wear clothes that show a lot of skin let them know they are a huge kind of judgmental. It's kinda hard to articulate, the best way I can explain it, is basically being a good judge of character. Judging a person is perfectly normal. If they are always being horrible to people for example, you might not want to be friends with that person because you think they are a bad person. I don't know if I explained that too well, but I don't think being judgmental is such a bad thing.

• thats very true but the sad thing is nowadays we can't expect all the thing in one

• Lol are you trying to say something 😂

• Nice take

• Nice take 😊

• Definitely non judgmental so we can share secrets!

• Great take!

• Yes true

• Reaches out without needing something

• Cool

• Agree

• Nice take

• Nice take

• I don't have any friends. I just wish I was never born

• Just remember that friendship is based on mutual respect and personal fulfillment, we choose friends that make us happy. So if you are suffering and it making you miserable, people will not be attracted to you. Feel free to add me or share your thoughts with me.

What Guys Said 7

• So it turns out I have no good friends, shocker lol

• I did say this list is by no means exhaustive. Every friend is going to provide something unique

• Not being exhaustive means there are more items on the list, every good friend should have all these qualities, so those who satisfy it are gonna be fewer lol

• Agreed. Every potential girlfriend has to have that too for me to take them seriously.

• Well i disagree with happiness cause you can be unhappy together and be closer from it.
    Also disagree with none judgmental cause i good friend would be 100% honest and they cannot be honest without judgement also judging them could help them better themselves by pointing out there flaws and help them grow to be better.
    My top 5 would be
    Honest
    Been a bitch when need to be (if you don't get what i mean by this watch don't trust the bitch in apartment 23)
    Trust
    Like the same things
    Also a bit wacky cannot have someone who isn't weird and boring.

• Good Take.

Can't argue with any of that.

• Loyalty is something that is hard to find.

• Pretty much “friendship 101”, but nice.

• Valid points indeed. Thank you.