The difference between real 1940's fashion and FAKE 40's fashion (AKA time period Halloween stores SUCK)

I saw some clothes online the other day that were claiming to be "1940s fashion" and it just pissed me off for the 100th time. I'm really sick and tired of it, how hard is it to open up your history book? They are LIARS and they speak LIES. Don't buy into this bull crap. If you wanna know what real 1940's fashion was, read this my take.

"The 1940s were defined by a clean and slim silhouette with a somewhat military feel. Jackets, blouses, sweaters, and skirts were short and close-fitting"

Here are some examples of REAL 1940's fashion:

The difference between real 1940s fashion and FAKE 40s fashion (AKA time period Halloween stores SUCK)

Now, here is FAKE 1940's fashion that many websites think is suitable to show:

FIRST of all, what the hell is with those finger-less lace gloves?? This isn't 1865.

AND what the HELL is with those platform heels? Platform heels weren't in fashion until the late 1960's people, it isn't that hard to understand. On a side note, that wig is literal shit.

Right.....because women working their ASSES off while their men died in war, wore HIGH HEELS to do factory work.

This one, I have no words:

WTF is she even holding
WTF is she even holding

And literally NO army/military woman wore this;

They wore this:

So, as you can see, the fashion industries claiming to have "retro" things is a DISGRACE. Most of them anyways.

14
5

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

514
  • Good myTake, you did very well in separating the historical accuracy from the commercialized stereotypes we see all around nowadays.
    It's a shame that many people get mistaken about it because their informations comes only from sensationalized media and not actual sources.
    • Thank you very much! And once again, you worded it perfectly

• Konabeana
    Anything you get from the Halloween store is complete trash if you compare it to real fashion. Not only is the material different, the style is as well. This goes for all time periods, not just the 40s. Also the Halloween store is wayy too expensive. Might as well make your own costume, save money and use quality material.
  • Guanfei
    Retro stuff isn't accurate, and isn't meant to be. It's just made to capture the general style of a period but adapted to modern fashion.
    As someone who is into retro-wave (aka 80's style) it's the same. It "looks" 80's but it's not.
    Let's be honest, how many people would really wear vintage clothes, looking exactly as it was at that time? Most would think it's no good because they'd look like their grandparents.
    • Not true, there are so many sexy, for fitting accurate vintage clothing

• Guanfei

For you, yes, because you're into that. But most people hardly wear something that was trendy 5 years ago, they won't wear anything that is decades old. No matter how good it looks, in fact.

• Yeah, bc retro things are so frumpy compared to modern things smh
      Modern:
      img.ltwebstatic.com/.../..._thumbnail_600x799.webp
      and here's a vintage dress:

• GoodGuyBreakingBad
    Yes the real 1940's clothing was awesome and It's shame they got to come up with some fake stuff , I just saw pic today of my late paternal grandma and she had one classy dress on , she was always thin for many years and she married my grand-dad he was rough, he was an old-timer and liked the Country, he was set in his ways and he called me Boy and my Sister Girl, that was how he was
  • GothRose2
    Well, what do you expect from $50 Halloween costumes (not that $50 isn't a lot of money for me, but that's another issue lol)? "Real" historically accurate costumes (such as those used in Hollywood movies) usually cost hundreds/thousands of dollars.
    For example, the costumes used in the Imitation game ( a movie with Keira Knightley and Benedict Cumberbatch, which is set in the '40s) is an accurate representation of '40s fashion
    • I expect a 50 dollar costume to know that working women didn't wear heels to dig holes. Just the basics like that.

• Guardian45
    VERY INTERESTING!!! I think the 8th pic originates with Norman Rockwell's cover "Rosie The Riviter":

https://external-content. duckduckgo. com/iu/? u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2. mm. bing. net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. BDHwxu4LOKRtVCpzvDgcDAHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1
  • Yes there’s a difference ! Check with the vintage clothing store ! 😘🌹 those shoes are cute first few pics with the buckles
  • Omega_brie
    language changes according to what people feel it should be.

Like yeah it's not REAL 40s fashion, just like Mexican people aren't literally Spanish, or white people aren't actually Caucasian. But it's what people perceive as real, so it goes.
  • HMS1189
    Probably, that happened because of Hollywood's movies trying to recreate that period, based only on images and movies, without doing some historic research
  • Matt57
    They just absolutely reduced and commercialized it to one small part of the time period and looks. Like how the 50s is just reduced to Grease T-bird jackets, Poodle Skirts, and white jumpsuit Elvis.
  • ComradeCarabao
    You don't think it's even remotely possible that different trends in fashion were happening at the same time? Looking at just the last few years of the 70s should demonstrate how much fashion (within a given time period) can vary; you had spiked-hair punks, who dressed nothing like people you'd find at a disco. Is one "authentic," while the other is not?
    • Of course there are different trends, but some Things just literally weren't authentic. I know my shit

• COMMODOREII
    You would be better off going to a thrift store to find authentic 1940s fashion and good quality too.
  • I think authentic is important! They should use you as a consultant 😊
  • Kaazsz
    The problem is you think that the Halloween clothes are that way because some evil capitalist scum chose to misrepresent the clothing from that era for some strange reason.

The reality is that the market sells what people buy. And people prefer to buy that stuff over more authentic stuff.

The reason might have to do with movies? I’m not sure but I figure that movies had a different portrayal of how things were. Probably to accentuate the effect or recognizability of the clothing. And that’s what people recognize and that’s what people are more likely to buy when they see it in the store.
    • The clothing stores that sell this rubbish are only feeding the ignorance to people who buy it.

• The real 1940's fashion are actually 80 year old clothes/fabric
  • that one with the bell bottoms smh...
  • Twenty2
    I can't believe you removed my comment after I showed his flawed your stupid logic was.
    • No, my logic wasn't flawed, wtf don't you understand?

• Gwenhwyfar
    Great Take
  • Jude_Wills
    oh ghosh