Girls, how to make a formal dress look CASUAL?

Hello young women, I am a 20 year old college student with a newbie status on clothing. I was wondering how I am able to make this semi-formal looking white A-line dress with lace at its sides look more casual? Casual enough to hang with a group of friends, or especially casual enough to wear often when going outside without looking so... fancy? I'm terrible when it comes to coordinating outfits. I appreciate your time for answering!

Girls, how to make a formal dress look CASUAL?

Updates:
(for spring or summer)

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Wear flat casual sandles or slouch boots, keep hair down and if its chilly wear a cardigan instead of a longer coat. A longer necklace would also be good 😊

2|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • I'd stay with the mid length cardi's so you can still see the lovely dress underneath. You could go red cardigan with black boots? Maybe see if tights would suit underneath it too?

• Ahh, I see. thank you for your time and opinion! ^_^

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• Maybe leggings with a more casual pair of booties?

A solid scarf. Or no jewelry and minimal make up.

Maybe add a belt?

1|0
    0|0
    • Unfortunately, I don't own any belts. Most of my clothes are solid colors so any color recommendations?
      I didn't think about the leggings portion so thank you! :)
      My makeup are Never dramatic. (I prefer natural coverage. i feel odd if i stand out. hahahaha)

• If you were to get a belt, brown is more casual than black.

Sticking to solid colors that aren't too dark (like black is more formal) are more casual choices. I can't think of specific colors.

• Thanks. Oh, I never really noticed the formality of belts.. I'll keep an eye out.

• Flat shoes, converse or something. A jean jacket. Have your hair down. People are suggesting leggings but that would look hideous in my opinion

1|0
    0|0
    • Luckily I do have converse shoes and black flats.. I'm waiting for stores to knock down some prices for me to get a denim jacket. I've seen them paired a lot for dresses to make it casual.
      I think people are suggesting leggings because it's currently winter. (shrug) If I were to wear black leggings during winter, I think that's the only way for the legs to be warm. Thank you for your opinion!

• throw a flannel around your waist?
    or add a jean jacket!! i do this one alll the time. wear with converse/vans or casual shoes.

1|0
    0|0
    • I had thought throwing a flannel or gingham jacket were more used with shorts or jeans. Hahaha. Yeah, i have a pair of black and white mix converse. Still need to wait for jean jacket prices to be more discounted! ^_^ thanks

• You could put a form fitted thin black turtleneck underneath and some black tights. I think it looks really cute, like this:

https://i.imgur.com/PP8auMj.jpg

0|0
    0|0
    • Except for the dress in my pic is a long sleeve, so a turtleneck wouldn't make much sense. Thanks for your opinion and time in the comment!

• https://goo.gl/images/CNOnB1

Add a vest and maybe a belt and a felt hat.

1|0
    0|0
  • Add a thick knit scarf, black thick tights, pixie boots and a batwing cardigan to make the dress more casual.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why would you wear this dress for going out? Its a nice one for a fancy dinner or a party, not for hanging out.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I do agree it seems semi-formal, however, I'd like to make it casual and use this dress more often, rather than once in a few rare occasions for it to gather dust, forever hanging in the closet. Which is why I]I'm trying to ask for opinions on making it look casual.

• Wear black low boots, preferably black. A jeans jacket over it and a red woolen hat/cap.

• Add a bright belt or leggings/tights. Casual shoes help too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe with jean jackets?

1|0
    0|0
  • Colour.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe putting a denim jacket over it and some boots or nice trainers could work

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes