When You Keep Catching Someone Looking at You: What Does This Mean?

It's Not Always That They Like

I see so many questions on here, people asking "does he/she like me? I saw them look at me, they smiled and then when I looked back I saw that they looked at me again, WHAT DOES IT MEAN??"

Now, for the most part if you're being looked at, rather than zoned out at, there's something about you or you that day, that's noticeable and caught their attention. Maybe you look cute, maybe they're trying to read your shirt, maybe there's something on your face.. but JUST BECAUSE you see someone look at you does not mean that they're interested in you, and there are a plethora of reasons why else someone could be looking at you instead.

From my perspective, if I catch someone looking at me and I'm in a good mood I might just smile as a greeting, but then just carry on with my day and think nothing more of it. Other times, maybe I caught you looking and I think "why's this person looking at me?" and shrug it off, BUT THEN I KNOW YOU'VE ALREADY LOOKED AT ME, so I'll very likely look up again to see whether or not you're still looking at me. And if you are, that'll perpetuate the cycle even more and I'll look at you AGAIN to see if you're STILL looking at me, and each of these times if I see you doing so, I'm going to look away. Not because I'm super into you and trying to be coy, but because now I'm like "this is weird and awkward, person keeps looking at me and I keep catching them looking at me.. but I want to know if they're still looking at me and why.."

Now, don't lose hope friends, like I said, there is likely something about you that caught their eye in the first place. But so many want to believe that this means something, and you'll have people hype you up saying that it does. Calm down, take a step back and don't think too much. If you catch a smile your way, return it, and at the end of whatever it is you're doing whether it's in class or work or an event, you can use that as an opening to walk up and be like "hey I just wanted to say I really like your __________". Boom.

925

Most Helpful Guys

• This is true, and it annoys the hell out of me the way so many chicks think guys must be into them just because he looked at her. Even I myself have started thinking the reasons someone is looking at me could be because they thought I looked like someone they knew but isn't them, or maybe reminded them of their ex or a loved one or something. Though in my experience I do know that a lot of people tend to stare at me because my looks are somewhat unusual. People will confuse me for Arab or Hispanic, even though I'm black.

Though there are times when I do know a girl tends to think I must be good-looking or I'm turning her on when I catch her staring and she tries to look away real fast, and then will call herself trying to get a better look by having a reason to walk near me.

• I know!! Girls and guys both do this and make it a huge deal when I really don't think it is. Like I said, if people are looking at you, it's definitely for a reason, but it's not always because they want you SO BAD. Sometimes it will be though, that's only natural.

• It means they want to steal your soul. Science!

• I think you're onto something pal.
      Just the other day, I felt a weird tingling sensation in my anus as someone looked over at me. That must be where souls are kept, which would explain why I'm soo full of shit

Most Helpful Girls

• Means several thoughts.
    1. You look hot
    2. I wanna bed you
    3. Nice boobs
    4. Nice ass

• Just like a chick to think it's all about a guy wanting her, lol.

• @ManOnFire it is usually the case! This guy is always looking at me and when I walk by I see him turn around and watch me walk away. He winks at me sometimes and and even compliments me.

• Lol this actually hits home for me atm. The other day at work my coworker ( now assistant manager) went walking out in front of the area I was working on atm & he just looked around in a completely different area of the store that doesn't even have a thing to do with what we do, then starts walking back looking around, then I start thinking "he's gonna look, he's gonna look, he's gonna loo..." and boom he looked at me haha. I smiled & kept on working. Hehe Idc if anyone thinks this or that, it made me happy. As I am fairly certain he already likes me :)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 23

• I honestly think people have completely flunked body language class since the rise of social media. They either read so much into it or swing the complete opposite and miss the most obvious things. I used the term eye fucking on here and nobody had a clue what it meant smh.

• LOL yea I totally agree. And social media has it's own set of problems.. everyone is like "HE SAID I LOOKED CUTE TODAY WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?" dafuq..

• Good points , this also leads to piss poor interpersonal communication skills !! Too many phone zombies around !!

• can't say i've stared at someone cuz they have something on their face

unless it's something ridiculously vulgar ----- someone trying to read your shirt is an interested party. if they weren't, they wouldn't care about the details of your clothes.

i think a better way to put it is, if they're looking it doesn't mean they want to date. but they are interested.

• I think it is sometimes helpful to ask oneself, What is the demeanour of the other person, who you make eye contact with? Did the chap smile with his eyes and his mouth or only with his mouth?

• sometimes i stare at girl with disgust
    it depends how she looks
    or i just look at avarage girl straight in the eyes with no smile or blinking bcs i wanna see her reaction :P
    its not always pleasure and imagining i wanna fuck her

• I day dream a lot. Sometimes I just happen to look in their direction. Or I noticed something about them, like a necklace or something. It doesn't mean I fancy them.

I actually laugh and pity all the girls who thinks they are attractive just because I looked in her direction. How vain and delusional can be...

• Uh oh. This mytake was important, had no idea they could just be looking back at me because they want to know if I'm looking at them. Also, lol yes I'm usually guilty pf trying to read the shirt if there's something on it.

• Most men are conditioned to NEVER look at any woman , men are actually conditioned to believe that women hate them even glancing in their direction is offensive , perverted & " creepy " , there is some truth , there are a lot of women that really hate a guy even looking at them. This blog post will make for some interesting reading
    edumckaytion.com/blog/men-notice-women-anymore/

• Hmm as sad as it is, I do partially agree with that. Thanks for sharing the article!

• @myTake Owner i agree the curtains don't match the drapes.

but ask yourself "what if the civil rights movement had been called 'the black movement'?"

Think it would help anyone but blacks? Think maybe it would go too far FOR blacks? Goddamn right. That's why feminism is ONLY for women... not men, not children. It's a narcissism movement today-that's why female rapists get a slap while male rapists get 10-20 years. that's why when a woman murders her kids, they ask "what DROVE HER to do it?" that's why women are ALWAYS the victim-that's narcissism, not equality. That's why you can't call circumcision "genital mutilation" despite that it severs 3x more nerve endings than in female genital mutilation. That's why despite that 80% of penises are mutilated in africa, and only about 16% of vaginas are mutilated in same, that only ONE is an issue... the minority problem, despite it being a 5x worse problem for men in africa. etc etc etfuckingcetera

• Yo Fatherjack you hit the nail right on the coffin. Mgtow for life.

• This happened to me while I was at McDonald's. I was at a table eating with two other people. They were on the opposite side of the table. We were talking when I noticed this stranger behind them staring into my soul. I was scared for my life.

• If a women looks at me.. I’ll automatically ignore and disregard it completely. But if I catch her looking at least 10+ more times. Then I’ll begin to assume.. but then again, I still can be wrong. Lol

• If I'm staring at any girl, then it means that I want to have sex with her.

• That's a pretty broad generalization lol, but I trust you, it's your body.

• Thanks for trusting me. I like being honest about my intentions unlike SOME people **aka PUA**...

• I usually think nothing of being stared at, and I guess rightfully so.
    Admittedly I mostly stare at someone who I think is attractive but I sometimes also stare at someone who just appears ususual.
    I also have caught myself multiple times glancing at people who seemed troubled and then I have an internal conflict on whether to lend an ear and/or offer help. (The other hand is that I don't want to seem like a creep.)
    (And don't get me wrong: if I see someone physically struggling, then I am quick to run over and help. What I mentioned above is if their face and/or body language gives that off.

• But what if you know them and they didn't used to do it? I don't know, this heavily depends on circumstances that can never be assumed.

• 7d

i see all the time guys and girls looking at me, and that means?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    nothing lol?

• It depends, if she were an average or attractive white women, I'd be ecstatic. But if she was obese or non-white, then no.

• And I thought she likes me :(

• I know the feeling, great Take :)

• Well duh?

• See it sounds logical when you say it. But have you SEEN the number of questions like these?

• Nobody looks at me

• Means they want my D really really bad

• That I'll probably punch them in the face

• well when this guy looks he wants but knows he can't have

• I think people should understand the difference between attracted and interested. Also somehow I believe if someone is looking at you (assuming in a positive sense) that means she's interested. But if she does it sneakily that means she's interested.

• What about sneakily?

• Uff sorry if looking at you then attracted, if sneakily then interested.

• Also I believe if looking at you directly and interested, then they look with doe eye ;)

• I Keep Looking at You, but you never caught me.

What Girls Said 7

• I love how you ended that with the "Boom" XD
    Thank you for posting this! Hopefully it will help people.

• Finally someone said it!! Jk, its just that I say that often haha!

• Sometimes I like to look at people and study their faces lol I’m just weird like that

• It doesn’t mean anything. People just wandering inside of their head

• 7d

You either look weird or they like you

• It means something

• They could be looking in your direction but they aren't staring at you. I daydream a lot and I get accused of staring even though I wasn't. I didn't even realize that person was there. I get so much into my daydreams that I don't notice anything around me. This happened last week. Some guy told me to stop staring because it was creepy. I was shocked because until that moment I hadn't noticed him there.