Should the boyfriend ask the girlfriend's dad for permission to get married, even if only as a formality?

So I'm just curious, how many people believe in still upholding the tradition of asking the father of the intended bride for permission to get married, even if it's just a formality kind of thing?

For GIRLS, what do you think? Should your boyfriend ask? For the already married/engaged, did he ask? What would your dad prefer, what would you prefer?

For GUYS, do you think you should ask? If you're married/engaged, did you ask? Did the dad care? If you have daughters, do you want to be asked?

I've been wondering, because I know a lot of young married guys these days, and I was surprised to discover how many of them held to tradition and asked the dad, or at least took him aside and announced their intention. I hadn't known anyone still did that until recently.
Post Opinion