Eating Right When You Have Diabetes

This my take is for my friend, @smahala1991 who was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I am hypoglycemic but weirdly enough I don't have diabetes, so I do have experience with blood sugar causing problems. There was one time that I suddenly felt like that I was going to pass out and I was in history class, listening to my professor give a lecture. And another time, I passed out in a park while on vacation with my family. Having a hypoglycemic reaction literally feels like energy is draining out of me, until it gets to the point where I can not stand on my own legs because I don't have the energy to do so. Living with diabetes is extremely manageable, enjoy these recipes along with diabetes friendly foods! I personally like the brownie recipe and the tonic water recipe as well. I just tried the peanut butter, honey, and banana roll ups and they were good.

Eating Right When You Have Diabetes

Black bean Brownies
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 large eggs
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Place the beans in a food processor and grind extremely well. Add the beans to a bowl and add 1/4 cup chocolate chips and oil; cover. Add eggs, brown sugar, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder and salt; mix until smooth. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. I always put the brownies in a mini cupcake pan. That way, it's portion sized well and every piece is a corner piece.

Apple cider vinegar tonic water
6 Pieces of fruit like raspberries or blackberries, I also like to add some orange juice instead of fruit pieces.
1-2 teaspoons raw sugar or honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
Ice
Sparkling water or regular water
Berries, basil, and/or mint for garnish

Directions
In a tall glass, muddle berries and sugar together. Stir in vinegar, and lemon juice. Fill with ice and top with sparkling water. Garnish with berries, basil, and/or mint.

Snacks
Peanut butter, banana, and honey roll ups. For the roll ups, you just take a whole wheat tortilla and spread peanut butter over it. Then top with sliced bananas and honey.
Peanut butter and celery
Hard boiled eggs
Carrots and hummus
Tuna on top of cucumber slices
Stuffed mushrooms
Veggies and guacamole
Berries
Berries covered with Greek yogurt
Celery with cream cheese or with cottage cheese

Ideal foods for diabetics:
Breakfast

It's important that diabetics skip breakfast or at least eat a small breakfast. It should have a low amount of sugar but have good energy for your morning. An ideal breakfast would be
A cup of skim milk, a cup of green tea, a slice of whole wheat bread, 1/2 of a banana, with 1/2 cup of oatmeal

Breakfast Shake
Muffin Parfait
Whole-Grain Cereal
Scrambled Eggs and Toast
Breakfast Burrito
Almonds and Fruit

Lunch
During lunch is when most people tend to overeat. This is a habit diabetics need to curb. The lunch should have a low amount of sugar and be in small portions.

1 cup of vegetable soup
Turkey sandwich
A small apple is a nice finish to a meal

Egg and Avocado Sandwich
Skillet Bananas with Coconut and Chocolate Chips
Shrimp Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce
Salad with Chicken, Cheese, Carrots, Hummus, and Crackers
Chopped Quinoa Salad with Cranberries

Dinner
Dinner is the last meal of the day but is equally important for diabetics and non diabetics. Hence, it needs to be equally healthy.
Chicken with brown rice and a vegetable soup.

Swordfish Steak and Spicy Corn Salad.
Salmon and Pesto Mashed Potatoes.
Balsamic Chicken and Green Beans.
Pork Chop and Corn and Bean Pilaf.
Chicken with Brown Rice Salad.

8 essential foods for diabetics that lower blood sugar
Almonds
Dark chocolate
Black Coffee
Apple cider vinegar
Cinnamon
Resistant starch
Cinnamon
Green tea
Fenugreek

Foods to Eat

vegetables
nonstarchy: includes broccoli, carrots, greens, peppers, and tomatoes
starchy: includes potatoes, corn, and green peas
fruits—includes oranges, melon, berries, apples, bananas, and grapes
grains—at least half of your grains for the day should be whole grains
includes wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley, and quinoa
examples: bread, pasta, cereal, and tortillas
protein
lean meat
chicken or turkey without the skin
fish
eggs
nuts and peanuts
dried beans and certain peas, such as chickpeas and split peas
meat substitutes, such as tofu
dairy—nonfat or low fat
milk or lactose-free milk if you have lactose intolerance
yogurt
cheese, not the processed cheese.

Eat foods with heart-healthy fats, which mainly come from these foods:

oils that are liquid at room temperature, such as canola and olive oil
nuts and seeds
heart-healthy fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel
avocado

Foods to avoid

Food with trans fat

sweets, like ice cream or cake

Fried foods

Packaged snacks

White rice, bread, and flour

18
1truekhaleesi is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• My mom is a diabetic so this will be helpful thank you

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 7

• There's a fruit called Pomerac (aka Malay rose apple or Malay apple) which is also very healthy to eat if you have diabetes. I'm not sure if this is available in the US, but in the Caribbean and even South America people who have diabetes eat it.

www.organicfacts.net/.../Malayapple.jpg?a1d5ed

• I was able to order haggis off of amazon for my 20th birthday, even though haggis is illegal in the US, so maybe amazon has it? @smahala1991

• Fair point, it was feeding sheep remains to cows that caused mad cow disease. I still think a pistol is more likely to kill someone, but that's just me.

• I don't have hypoglycemia or diabetes, but I just wanted to say that this is one of the best takes I've seen. Also I think it's really awesome that you're putting this out there for people.

• What is the difference between hypoglycemia abd diabetes

• Hypoglycemia is a condition while diabetes is a disorder. Diabetes is a disorder of glucose (carbohydrate) metabolism. It can occur as an autoimmune disease where your body's immune system attacks your pancreas (Type 1 Diabetes), or when your body becomes resistant to insulin, a primary regulator of blood glucose levels (Type 2 Diabetes) Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, which can occur for a number of reasons, as to why your liver isn't producing glucose.

• I suggested reading Dr Ray Strand's book Healthy for Life to another post regarding Type II Diabetes. This is actually an epidemic in the US and the world all due to our lousy diets. We eat too many processed carbs. Learn what High Glycemic carbs are. Dr Strand's book is about how not to get Diabetes and/or how to reverse it. It is 100% reversible. And if you don't take is seriously you will crash and burn badly. It is the leading cause of blindness in the US. Most people take it seriously for a couple three years than stop. They will end up in the hospital for sure. You can't ignore it. It requires a lifestyle change.

• Eating as a diabetic is almost the same as someone eating to lose
    Body fat

Both share a very important goal - to keep insulin stable

• One of my favourite comedians could do the transition to a better diet, make sure you put your all into your commitments

• Thanks for sharing.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!