How To Eat Healthy For Less

Anonymous

A healthy diet is a diet that is sustainable, that provides nutrients for the body, and that maintains a healthy body weight with normal bodily functions.

Everybody wants a healthy diet, because seriously, who wants to die of malnutrition, obesity and other food-related ailments?

A healthy diet is normally thought of as "expensive" or "more costly" than an unhealthy diet. Well, that may be true, but I am going to show you that it is definitely possible to eat healthy for cheap.

A Variety of Different Foods
A Variety of Different Foods

Checking Out Websites and Ads for Promotions and Coupons

You can find deals and promotions on a weekly basis. Sometimes, the old weekly ad will still be available and valid while the new weekly aid is posted; then, you can get double the discounts.

Creating a Shopping List

A shopping list can potentially keep you from impulse buys, which may add to your grocery bill.

Planning the Shopping Route

It is much more effective to plan your own shopping route ahead of time. Then, you can go to all your grocery store locations in a time-effective manner.

Emergency Food Supply

During an emergency of any sort, you should have an emergency food supply at home. That way, you don't get trapped at the store with a bazillion people waiting at the check-out line in the middle of a pandemic. Your emergency food supply should be shelf-stable, such as white rice (which can last up to 5 years in the pantry), wheat flour (to make breads and noodles), oats (to make oatmeal porridge), canned/dried/frozen fruits and vegetables, tofu and other Asian soy products, dried nuts and seeds (great for snacking and cooking), and canned/dried meat. If you can't afford all of that stuff, then you should at least buy a big sack of white rice and eat watery rice porridge every day as a low-calorie famine food.

How To Eat Healthy For Less
16
5

Most Helpful Guys

• WindAtMyBack
    Nutrition is one of those things that the more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know. It can be very complicated. But it all points back to one thing. It points to what most of us already know. We know that fruits and veggies are good for us, and that junk food and processed food is not.

That is a huge start. Beyond that, you start getting diminishing returns. You can do all kinds of studying about nutrition, and if you are able to sustain the diet, you can get a little more out of it.

I like to simplify it. Buy more from the produce section, and less of everything else. There are definitely good foods in other parts of the store, but just that one thing will go a very long way. It's simple and easy to remember. Make produce a high priority. Learn which produce you will actually eat, because it doesn't do any good to buy it and not eat it.

To save money, know the stores and what they sell.

Go to farmer's markets. Sellers at farmer's markets are not all farmers. Some of those guys buy food at the regular grocery store when it's on sale, and resell it at a markup. Know your prices.

Buy from roadside stands. These places are great! Just walking through there exudes health. Walking through there makes you feel like "If only I would eat this kind of stuff every day I'd be so much more healthy." Roadside stands are not as common as they used to be. But they still exist. Get away from the city and look around.

You-pick-it. If there are places near you where you can pick your own food, do it. It can be MUCH cheaper than the grocery store. Get it when it's in season. Pick a bunch of it and learn to can, preserve, pickle, etc.

Don't throw away the juice of store bought picked foods. Keep the juice and jar, slice some crispy vegetables, and throw them in the juice where they will keep for a long time.

Grow your own. Even a fairly small garden, like a few square meters, can produce a fair amount of food. A larger garden like 10 sq meters can produce a LOT of food. When it's time for supper, walk out the door and pick it. You can't get any more fresh than that.

Keeping up the garden itself is healthy too. It's good for you physical and mental health.

There are a lot of variations of the saying:

If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk.
    If you want to be happy for life, be a gardener.

Save seeds from store bought veggies. The seeds from a lot of hybrid foods won't produce well when grown. But some will do very well. Don't throw out those seeds from peppers and other veggies. Put them somewhere and let them dry. Plant them next spring. Some will produce.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Anonymous
    Millennials aren't going to listen, they're the fattest generation I've ever seen. They love fatty, sugary foods because they taste good, not because they're cheap. I just had a salad for lunch and I am far from rich.

I miss the good old days when women were thinner and not the land whales known as millennials.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

514
  • Kurαȷ
    Yeeah, if you want to eat healthy for less you buy legumes such as lentils.

Rice and wheat flour aren't "healthy" in any conceivable definition of the word.
    They are literally some of the absolutely worst stuff that a human can eat.
    Straight up ice cream is better for you than rice and wheat flour.
    • Anonymous

Ice cream contains milk and cream, and lactose intolerance is actually the majority of the human population. The American population is actually an anomaly, because most people in America are descended from the dairy-farming European populations. Plus, ice cream cannot be diluted. You have to eat straight out of the box.

In contrast, wheat flour can be made into soft steamed buns, and the steamed buns can be filled with vegetables, so you get a whole meal in a package. White rice can also be diluted to make watery rice porridge, and you'll consume way more water than rice. Watery rice porridge is actually very low-calorie, and if you need fiber and nutrients, you get them from cooked vegetables as side dishes. Just look up "Korean banchan" and you'll see what I mean.

Plus, wheat flour and rice are pronounceable ingredients, while ice cream may contain boatloads of additives, preservatives and flavorings.

• t-8900

processed grains are a problem. But unrefined grains are not the issue. I substitute rice with pearl barley for my filler and I replace wheat with oats and hand make my own oat and legume bread.

• Prof_Don
    The cold hard truth is... to eat healthfully at home on a tight budget, one MUST spend time prepping and cooking food!

Excellent point about an emergency food stash! Rice, oats & dry beans should be in the cabinet at ALL times!
    • You're right - Rice and oats would be my choice too. Wheat flour? It's OK, but not my first choice. I can always grind down the oats into a flour as I do for one particular cookie I make. Ditto the rice, if I have more time. Also, I would be sure there is oil and cornstarch to make a roux to be able to make cream soups, sauces, gravies, and even dust in body as a "powder".

• Daniel3035
    You got no idea what your talking about do you?
    Healthy food how to eat it...
    Consumer: Yah
    Consumer:Yah
    ...
    Emergency Food Supply
    Consumer: So where's the healthy food...

You didn't even mention the word "calories"...
  • Avicenna
    Avoiding processed foods and eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, nuts and lean proteins is key. Portion size is crucial for things other than fruits and veggies.
  • triff
    We all like to eat healthy but the bad is so moreish Tge textures of the veggy meats isn't quite there Taste will improve I'm sure
    • t-8900

you dont need to eat veggie meats to eat healthy. You can easily eat regular meat and steamed veggies on the side.

• triff

Thank you

• oddwaffle
    Fresh vegetables
    Frozen vegetables
    Beef liver
    Pork
    Chicken
    Firm tofu
    Soy sauce

These are cheap and nutritious.
  • caramelapplered30
    I always go to The farmers market, fresh is healthy for me personally
  • Gedaria
    But it's what you eat. You can still be obese, even eating healthy..
    It's a balanced diet. The right amount of fats carbs protein.
    Plus vitamins.
    But you have to be happy what you eat...
  • John_Doesnt
    Cigarettes are pretty cheap. Buy a pack of cigs and lose weight. Doctor recommended.
    • @jixita that's less than minimum wage in California. Most of us are working from home.

• Agape93
    Yeah, relying on coupons and promos in order to make healthy things affordable isn’t sustainable.
  • SuccessfulHornDog
    Frozen vegetables are often healthier than fresh ones that you buy and don't use right away
    • t-8900

thats true but salads are amazing and good luck with freezing that lol.

• @t-8900 Yeah, Lettuce does not freeze well.

• t-8900

sadly and I like my crispys. Crispy romaine with grilled chicken breast, egg, tomato, onion, bell pepper, and cucumber. YUM!

• Darcia
    99 cent only store look for the green and purple logo.
  • mrArcher
    Eating healthy also involves removing things from your diet that are unhealthy. Such as SODA. Or snickers bars.
  • Single104
    Do not smoke, do not drink alcohol and soft drinks, and every day take a walk
  • Thatsamazing
    And a tough, regular exercise regimen!
  • dr_sascha
    actually eating healthy is cheaper
    • t-8900

Manchurian & Chef Boyardee want a word with you.

• t-8900

*Maruchan, sorry. I dont eat the crap was just pointing it out lol

• dr_sascha

@AuroraDirtyy no

• Hellohibyebye
    I eat only home food by
  • Anonymous
    Plan Your Meals. When it comes to saving money at the grocery store, planning is essential.
  • Anonymous
    I definitely cannot eat that much carbs. Based on what my doc said