Does anyone else find picky eaters annoying and high maintenance?

I become highly annoyed when I am with a group of friends and we're trying to agree on a place to eat, and there's always that one person who has the palate of a small child and has trouble filling up the fingers on one hand with the foods they will willingly eat. To top it off, they almost always say "I don't care, you guys pick. Surprise me!" But when someone picks, they whine and complain about how they don't like that place. You always have to hear about what they won't eat, but when you ask them what they actually will eat, they give a blank stare. They want to go to the same one or two restaurants every single time and then burn themselves out on it, and complain about how they're tired of that food. Well maybe you should expand your palate if you're always burning yourself out on the handful of foods you will eat!
Even if you try to pick a place like Applebee's that serves a wide variety of food and can please nearly everyone, the person has to whine about how the one type of food they will eat that that place serves sucks there.
This kind of crap just drives me up the wall. What about you?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Indifferent
    Vote C

84

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't really bother me. A few friends and my husband are really fussy, one of them gets severe anxiety when trying to figure out what she wants/can eat so I generally just pick where we are going and then suggest what I think she would like.
    It honestly causes them much more frustration and annoyance then it does me so by me being more decisive if they don't suggest somewhere straight up it just alleviates it.
    If they feel like something they can say it. If they don't they can shut up 😊

• I guess that is true. The only problem is that with my very picky eater friend, when he tells me to "surprise him" or make a suggestion, he says "yuck", "gross", or "not going there". Then I just say, "Well what kind of food sounds good to you?" The answer is usually "I don't know."

• If "I don't know" means you have to make the decision he needs to stop the whinging, definitely agree

Most Helpful Guy

• I am a highly selective eater. Yes it is annoying for our friends and family but trust me we don't do that to piss anyone off. It's just that we are ourselves so confused what to eat amongst our limited likes so we end up confusing​ others around us. Sorry for the trouble you face on behalf of all those selective eater around there :-)

• I never really thought about that, that makes more sense. I guess it is just frustrating when my one really picky eater of a friend cannot find ONE place out of 15-20 in a town that he will eat at. I mean, to me, there has to be at least one place that would serve something he would eat.

• Trust me we feel more frustrated than you do. I often cancel plans with my friends due to fact that I know I will confuse them and they will not be able to enjoy themselves due to my preference.