Does anyone else find picky eaters annoying and high maintenance?

I become highly annoyed when I am with a group of friends and we're trying to agree on a place to eat, and there's always that one person who has the palate of a small child and has trouble filling up the fingers on one hand with the foods they will willingly eat. To top it off, they almost always say "I don't care, you guys pick. Surprise me!" But when someone picks, they whine and complain about how they don't like that place. You always have to hear about what they won't eat, but when you ask them what they actually will eat, they give a blank stare. They want to go to the same one or two restaurants every single time and then burn themselves out on it, and complain about how they're tired of that food. Well maybe you should expand your palate if you're always burning yourself out on the handful of foods you will eat!
Even if you try to pick a place like Applebee's that serves a wide variety of food and can please nearly everyone, the person has to whine about how the one type of food they will eat that that place serves sucks there.
This kind of crap just drives me up the wall. What about you?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Indifferent
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't really bother me. A few friends and my husband are really fussy, one of them gets severe anxiety when trying to figure out what she wants/can eat so I generally just pick where we are going and then suggest what I think she would like.
    It honestly causes them much more frustration and annoyance then it does me so by me being more decisive if they don't suggest somewhere straight up it just alleviates it.
    If they feel like something they can say it. If they don't they can shut up 😊

1|0
    0|0
    • I guess that is true. The only problem is that with my very picky eater friend, when he tells me to "surprise him" or make a suggestion, he says "yuck", "gross", or "not going there". Then I just say, "Well what kind of food sounds good to you?" The answer is usually "I don't know."

• If "I don't know" means you have to make the decision he needs to stop the whinging, definitely agree

Most Helpful Guy

• I am a highly selective eater. Yes it is annoying for our friends and family but trust me we don't do that to piss anyone off. It's just that we are ourselves so confused what to eat amongst our limited likes so we end up confusing​ others around us. Sorry for the trouble you face on behalf of all those selective eater around there :-)

1|0
    0|0
    • I never really thought about that, that makes more sense. I guess it is just frustrating when my one really picky eater of a friend cannot find ONE place out of 15-20 in a town that he will eat at. I mean, to me, there has to be at least one place that would serve something he would eat.

• Trust me we feel more frustrated than you do. I often cancel plans with my friends due to fact that I know I will confuse them and they will not be able to enjoy themselves due to my preference.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yeah it's annoying as hell -___-

1|0
    0|0
  • yes! its sooo annoying! and when they do pick something, or get given something at your house, they pick pieces out of it and dont eat the bits, but hten when you go to their house, they expect you to eat what youve been given, and ALL of it, and if you dont, then you're 'fussy and rude'!!! grrr..

2|0
    0|0
    • Yes! I also find it annoying when they have never had something and do not know whether or not they will like it, but insist that they don't like it. Every time I've urged one of my picky eater friends to try something they'd never had before that they said would be disgusting, they've liked it, oddly enough.

• totally, and it takes like half an hour to convince them to try it, and the 1 out of 100 times that they dont like it, they use as evidence that they will hate everything else i suggest

• Drives you up the wall hummm
    What does that even look like though

booklikes.com/.../...95b4e562aa87fa665a2090410.jpg

0|0
    1|1
  • Well I'm SORRY if I want to eat something and get my money's worth!

1|0
    0|0
    • It's not that so much that I have a problem with, it is when they tell us to pick a place and then say "yuck" or "nope" or "I don't like that place" to EVERY suggestion. I've even had one case in which we drove through a town of at least 15-20 restaurants and my friend couldn't find ONE place he would eat at. To me, that is ridiculous.

• it's honestly probably worse for them

1|0
    0|0
    • I guess, but I don't understand how they can dislike everything but maybe five different foods, and are completely unwilling to try anything. I guess it's easy for me to say since I've always been very open to trying new foods and can find at least one thing on the menu at any restaurant that I will eat. I guess the part that really annoys me is when they insist on the rest of the group picking, but then say no to every place we list off.

• Show All
    • I never really thought of it that way, where it would cause anxiety for the picky eater. I used to be much pickier than I am now and had a family that pretty much only ate the types of food I hated, so I can kind of understand how it's not really something they have full control over, but it just annoys me when they make it even more difficult to make a decision. Like, I had a friend that would not eat at ONE restaurant out of about 20 that we drove by in a town we were in, and he kept saying he didn't know where he wanted to eat for about 30 minutes, so we had to go over to the next town and go to one of the two places he never protests going to. I found that to be a bit ridiculous.

• yeah. I actually get bit angry just from being hungry, I'm just not used to people prolonging my hunger lol. when you get older you just like more things though. plus you need variety to be healthy.

• yeah they are annoying

1|0
    0|0
  • Picky eater have obviously never gone hungry.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm picky but not to that extent

1|0
    0|0
  • Indifferent

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it's difficult to deal with those.
    I had too many bad experiences with my ex. It was awful to feed him when he was at my house and he was always hungry. :/
    He was always complaining about what to eat.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I had an ex like that too! I almost wanted to say "You must not be that hungry if you won't eat anything that's available!"

Recommended myTakes