Australians: Are Vegemite and Butter sandwiches a big thing in your country?

Just watched this australian youtuber say they are like the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches of australia.

True?

1713

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Well
    1. Vegemite is great idc what anyone says
    2. They are pretty iconic I don't know if they are eaten as much as p&j seems to be though

What Girls Said 16

• That stuff is actually amazingly delicious! My aunt brought some back for me when I was much younger. Australia is on my bucket list.

• Vegemite is devil poop

• how about peanut butter and jelly? :P

• I admit that while I'm not an Australian expert, I've never seen it eaten like that either -- just Vegemite/Marmite directly onto the toast.

• @jp612612 I didn't even notice it yesterday,... it should have butter but it should be on the bottom. Helps scrap as much of the vege-gunk off as you can

• Its sent from the heavens for the strong to consume.

I'm traveling around Europe and brought Vegemite with me. It's the best. Its all about the ratio.

• sounds gross to me ehh

• Nom nom nommmm

• I'm not Australian and I haven't had Vegemite, but I love butter and brewer's yeast on popcorn, rice cakes, or toast, so I can see Vegemite or Marmite being good with butter since they are made with yeast extract.

• :( I just had to look up what it was. Never heard of it. That just sounds really gross. Like liquified spam in jelly form 😷

• if you mix your vegemite with butter you're weak, your bloodline is weak and you will never be strong no matter how hard you try there is nothing that can compare to the strength of a child who was raised on pure vegemite toast you will never defeat us we are the true vegemite children and we are coming for you and your weak butter-vegemite mixing family so man up or get out of our country

• I'm a happy little Vegemite.
    Vegemite on
    Toast with cottage cheese or sliced tomatoes
    With scones, on fruit bread or pancakes
    OMG Vegemite and honey on bread.

• ewh no im australian and only pure vegemite for me

• Eww vegemite sandwich? I'd use it on toast but that's way not enough of a filling for two slices or bread!!

• no it is not

• I hate Vegemite, I didn't grow up with it so that probably why but it is pretty popular thing here. A lot of kids used to have butter, Vegemite and cheese sandwiches at school.

• Vegemite is disgusting! 😵

I think it's god way of punishing us

• wow. peanut butter and jelly sounds really gross.
    I don't even use butter, only vegemite. very good.

• I hate butter.

• ewww

• I think a lot of people like it. I don't touch it

What Guys Said 12

• Can someone here describe the taste of Vegemite and Marmite? I am familiar with these, but never got to taste them...

• I've never had Vegemite but I LOVE Marmite on toast with loads of butter. I don't quite know how to describe it but it's really salty and it doesn't taste at all like veggies. :)

• What kind of abomination is that?

• i dont know what vegemite is.

• Vegemite? Ewww

• yes it is but its still a polarising spread

• When I was a kid, I put it in rice, mix it with hot water and then eat it.

• I am sure there is weirder... Turkish delight for example.

• What does vegemite taste like?

• Wtf is a Vegemite?

• add some mustard and wasabi

• Butter yes, Vegemite not really

• S that big thing in our house