So, I'm currently in university and whenever we have to discuss anything in groups, I always look the person who is talking in the eyes when I'm listening to show that I actually care, you know, out of respect. I'm doing it completely normally, not in a creepy way or anything. But I noticed that girls look at other people in the group most of the time when they're talking, whilst only looking at me in the eyes a fraction of the time. This appears to be a reoccuring thing, and not really applicable to guys.
I want to know what possible reasons could cause this. Could it be because I don't have interesting energy? Maybe I don't look "approachable"? I've been called good-looking before, could it be because they're intimidated by that somehow? It's kind of starting to bother me. I feel like I'm not being taken seriously..
Often, girls will avoid a direct prolonged eye contact with men simply for their own security. Mainly in your age group, a lengthy eye contact can be misunderstood and taken for what it is not and that is an interest in that person.
But there are other possible explanations.
1. The girl may be shy or introverted.
2. She does not want to keep long eye contact by fear the other person can influence her.
3. By looking at the others in the group, she asks them for confirmation of what she says.
4. She may be interested but does not want to let you know it.
5. She avoids prolonged eye contact because she has something against you.
6. A prolonged eye contact may lead you to believe that you have a chance with her.
If she only avoids eye contact with you and not other men, then there is an issue only between you and her and not between her and other men.