Catfish and Why They Piss Me Off

Anonymous

Catfish have presumably been active on GAG right from the start, and a lot of people tend to accept them as a fact of life here. You get better at spotting them over time, but this Take isn't about how to spot them, it's more about why they are undesirable, generally.

Catfish and Why They Piss Me Off

Catfish: someone who pretends to be someone they are not online to create false identities, particularly to pursue deceptive online romances.

Why do I think they're a problem? There are a number of reasons.

Catfish and Why They Piss Me Off

1. They mislead people as to what kinds of behavior are normal.

For example, the nymphomaniac catfish, who actively encourages real girls to do casual sexual acts they may not be comfortable with - because everybody else is supposedly doing them.

Catfish and Why They Piss Me Off

2. They present a jaundiced view of western society.

This is not only incorrect to start with, but also encourages non-westerners to hold western people in contempt, western values in contempt and western culture in contempt. For example, the legions of non-western guys who come onto the site to use it as a dating agency, because western women are THAT easy. Apparently.

Catfish and Why They Piss Me Off

3. Catfish 'breed' more catfish.

Hadn't actually thought about this one until the other day, but other posters pointed out

a) Women pretend to be men, on occasion, to avoid hassle from guys who believe that the behavior which catfish display is 'real'. An easy way of avoiding said hassle is to become just another 'guy'.

b) Men pretend to be women, to get real women to talk to them (in the belief that women won't talk to men, because the women have had previous bad experience with guys who believe that catfish nympho behavior is real.

So, ignore them if you will, troll them if you want, but don't kid yourself that they're harmless...

Catfish and Why They Piss Me Off
4
3

Most Helpful Girl

• BeeNee
    Catfish are sort of like the sad commentary of what our society has become. With the invention of the internet and Anon culture, many people no longer feel like real relationships where one meets face to face and deals with whatever that relationship/friendship is or could be or can't be, is just too much work. They prefer short burst interactions under false pretense b/c they think they can finally be who they want to be, but the reality obviously is that they are so far from themselves. If you have to lie from the outset, any kind of real relationship/friendship is not going to work because when internet vs. reality life collide, there is no hiding. So they prefer to hide and then get pissed at the world and everyone in it for their perception that no one wants to get to know the real them... hellllloooo irony!
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• BeerFarts
    I'm noticing an influx of catfish lately (men pretending to be women) and they usually associate with one another. If you're a G@G veteran, you can spot them from a mile away. I just roll my eyes when I see them because some of them are so obvious. They think that they're slick but they're not fooling anyone. I feel bad for the women that they hit on.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

32
  • Bleh-___-
    I don't know why dudes pretending to be women think that other women will send them nudes after talking to them. You're just lowering your chances buddy
  • YourFutureEx
  • TiffyPuff
    Catfish are annoying 😑

Like, I've had several guys with pink accounts try to get me to sex talk with them or send pics 😑😑
  • Anonymous
    applause to "Bleh-____-" who is the first catfish here , look at her pic, clearly a man pretending to be a girl lol damn !
  • Anonymous
    These are all too real