He says he wants to change?

I've been friends with this guy for over a year, and only recently we moved to a serious relationship. We were happy and in love, but recently he started acting cold and distant. Yesterday we had a conversation, and he admitted that he was cold and distant: apparently it always happens to him when he's been in a relationship for "too long" and opens up "too much". He told me that the other times he just stopped talking to the person/broke up, but he really wants to change this time with me. The thing is, what if he doesn't change? I'm trying to help, but I'm very fragile and vulnerable when it comes to feelings, and I don't know if I'll be able to go through this. Have you ever been in such a situation? What do you think I should do? Thanks a lot for the help! xx
some feedback please?

168

Most Helpful Guy

• Whenever someone says they want to change... then you have to put a time limit on it! Even if it is in your own mind.

Guys will sometimes use the "I will change card" to prolong the relationship while their intent is really never to change and just keep you around because it is better than being alone.

So always have in the back of you mind... a grace period window, where you can review whether he has made an effort, or not.

In addition, you should not have to remind him that he needs to change... your not his mother. If he knows he has to change in order to save the relationship then he will do it willingly.