Guys, what do you mean when you call a girl sweetheart?

I know it is a term of endearment. But guys what do you mean when you greet a girl "hello sweetheart" or "goodbye sweetheart". And I am talking about peers, who are the same age.
Guys, what do you mean when you call a girl sweetheart?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• When I describe someone as a sweetheart, it simply means I think they’re acting very sweet. I’d even say a guy was a sweetheart if he was being so, though typically only if he was being one to someone else. lol Don’t want to send the wrong impression. (Or maybe just looking super cute like babies and puppies. lol)
    “Aww. You’re such a sweetheart.”

If I refer to them as my personal sweetheart, not a genderal one, it’s strong endearment.
    “Hello, sweetheart.”

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really use that term at all.

I think it's a little condescending unless you have a very close relationship with the person. Maybe it's not so bad if it's said in a joking way. But if I were a girl, I wouldn't like guys my own age calling me that.

2|0
    0|0
    • It all depends on intentions.. The word is a combo of two words "Sweet" and "Heart". I'm a guy and use it when talking to girls exclusively (not to say I don't think my friends who are guys don't have a good heart.. But guys have other ways of expressing that with each other.. Less affectionate and more plutonic ways, like calling each other Gangsta, or homie lol). When I call a girl sweetheart, it is literally because I want them to know I think they're sweet and have a good heart. I can see what this other dude means, sometimes people use it condescendingly, and also words like "Honey", etc, for example: "I recommend you don't try that again honey" or "Hey sweetheart, get me a beer why dontcha?"... Like I said, it all depends on the intention and meaning the person is implying. But that's also more of a sassy 40-year old mother phrase. Sweetheart is DEFINITELY still used by couples or someone crushing on someone as a sign of affection. I'm debating whether to say it to this girl RIGHT NOW!

Most Helpful Girls

• Hmm...You know a lot of girls/women call guys and girls hun and sweetie...It's nothing, just their way of talking. The way I see it is some people use words like man and dude...they are just filler words. And that can be the case for those words if people aren't dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like we show our love toward others we like in the same kind of way we want it shown back to us so if you're open to giving compliments without worrying whether or not you'll receive one back it makes it twice as amazing when you find someone who is just like you.. in the end.. you spoil each other through words.. actions matter for sure but communication is the glue that holds couples together.. Nice sweet guys win in the end..

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 47

• It's just a term of endearment, like darling or babe. It can be used with friend and relatives but can also be used with strangers. If using with a stranger then it is usually an older person saying it to a younger person. Although it is a term of endearment it can also be used in a patronising way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Psst. I called the girl I loved the most just last week "sweetie" and boom guess what she cheated on me getting pregnant with another guy. But if I do call some girls "Sweetheart" or "Sweetie" or anything else related to that it must be this thing: I LOVE HER WITH ALL MY HEART.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is this some one you know? I think its disrespectful and wouldn't recomend it. Some one you dont know? Its a flirtatious way of breaking the ice. Personally I'd rather just introduce myself to get her name, but believe it or not guys are not perfect and fucked up shit spill out of our mouths. Esp. During first contact.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't use such terms of endearment unless it's someone who is really close to me, which by that I mean I'm dating or sleeping with them.

Whenever I do use such a term, like sweetheart, I mean to tell her that she holds a special place within my mind or my heart. If I use that one specifically, then you can pretty much bank on me having feelings for her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never. That's reserved only for people I'm in a relationship with. I don't feel comfortable calling people that i don't know, or people that I'm just friends with names like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • What do you think it means when a guy calls a girl "sweetheart?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing. I used to say that to girls casually. Did somebody said that to you and made you wonder sweetheart?

0|1
    0|0
    • by the way I wouldn't say that to girls who are physically completely unattractive to me. So I guess it's kind of a compliment. No idea. Never thought about this before

• Just being friendly, basically saying that she is nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Tricky question. Most of the time we use that term to show erotic affection. But you can validate the nature of his affection from other gestures and body language.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on relation with her if she's the best friend then maybe we belive from heart so most of us call like that or if she's our partner depends how much they love her

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't mean much... Better than calling her "hey you"...

I use sweetheart on almost all women I'm not too familiar with...

0|0
    0|0
  • personally I never do it as I find it pretty weird and the girl may think your a creep, but I think that some men use it as a way of trying to be nice to a lady.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't know about sweetheart
    I call a woman sweets because I like to eat sweets 😉

0|0
    0|1
  • Like million times , its just friendly way to talk to cheer them up to joke

0|0
    0|0
  • never to her face. but through text, a few times. its to cheer them up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe its a sly flirt maybe its a greeting maybe its just trying to say "i really like you, but i dont know how to tell you"

0|0
    0|0
  • I never called a female sweetheart before. It doesn't sound right when I say it

0|0
    0|0
  • It's on the slightly teasing but mostly endearing side. It's a way to show our interest

0|0
    0|0
  • It means I want to wrap her heart in bacon and eat it

0|0
    0|0
  • i call girls I like sweetheart, to me it means a sign of admiration

1|0
    0|0
  • I guess its like "oh, hello sweet lady" i mean its acknowledging that they are a nice, sweet person.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never use that term but I guess it is just something nice to say for some people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well a lot of the good guy say it to be sweethearts and show that they are passionate for you

0|0
    0|0
  • He can have a crush on you of he just thinks you fit the meaning of the word

0|0
    0|0
  • He likes you.

0|0
    0|0
  • It means you love them

1|0
    0|0
  • It means you're the sweetest thing in my life

0|0
    0|0
  • sweethearts like babe

0|0
    0|0
  • She's a really nice girl with a good heart

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, it means you are caring and kind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• I don't know many men that will use a pet-name and not mean it. Unless if they call every woman that since it's how they speak.

Like a woman I used to work with would call people "honey".

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been told Im a flirt, but I dont really do it on purpose. If ya'all asked me HOW to flirt Id sai I dunno. Its part of my nature and for the most part Im just a friendly, relatable lady. I don't know... its in my freakin nature.

0|0
    0|0
  • The number of syllables?

Either way it sounds like you still like one another.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on who the person using it is
    Some may use it to just sound courteous and polite
    While some use it to express love...

0|0
    0|0
  • Mostly condescension.
    Unless they're together and the tone is loving.

0|0
    0|0
  • If she's not his s/o, I'd assume he comes from a place where it's common to call each other that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like it from my significant other or like my dad, but anyone else it comes off condescending

0|0
    0|0
  • Too cute too friendly

0|0
    0|0
  • A guy I used to date would say that to me. He just sounded like it was inspired from some action movies he liked tbh lol

0|0
    0|0
  • You must taste sweet

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's a brit then it's just something they do :P

0|0
    0|0
  • it depends. my one guy friend calls everyone sweetheart, and honey and that's just him. it doesn't mean anything beyond that

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes