Who's More Creative? Men or Women?

The gender gap has always, and will always exist. There have been numerous studies, arguments, and debates about whether men or women possess higher amounts of almost every trait under the sun: intelligence, organization, agreeability, etc.

A widely debated trait is creativity.

If you do a crude search on the internet or skim a couple forums, you'll find that it is widely believed that men are more creative than women.

The idea that men are more creative than women is believed even at extremely prestigious universities.

After doing some research, it turns out the answer is not so clear cut.

There is no definitive answer as to who the most creative gender is. What has been revealed, however, is that levels of creativity vary significantly more in men than they do women. A Polish study which tested over 3,000 boys and girls concluded that boys were more likely to be either extremely creative or not creative at all while girl's levels of creativity varied much less.

This means that in general, while it is likely that the next ground breaking idea will come from a man, it is also likely that the least creative person in the world would also be a man, with women falling in between.

Men are also more likely to come up with new, out of the box ideas while women are more likely to think of new ways to build upon an existing idea, which is an example of adaptive creativity.

The reason it is believed that men are more creative is because of the traits associated with creativity, such as autonomy and independence, which are traditionally thought of to be possesed by men. It has also been proven that men are more likely to have their work considered creative even if it is identical to a female's work. Men are not the only ones who think this- even women believe that men are more creative.

It is unlikely there will be a way to break this gender stereotype. The truth is that both genders deal with stereotypes and prejudice- and, just like male and female creativity levels, it isn't always black and white.

1338

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't believe men are more creative. I do, however, believe women are more verbal and can easily communicate their thoughts and feelings. Men sometimes struggle with their feelings and expressing themselves verbally. This could be why there appears to be a gap in creativity between men and women. Its possible men are more likely to channel their thoughts and feelings by expressing them through art and other creative avenues.

The Polish studied you cited seems to draw a parallel between the differences in male and female I. Q. as well. Men have a wider range of intelligence, whereas the intelligence of women is concentrated more towards the middle.

• I expect creativity to appear in different forms from person to person. Logical creativity, artistic creativity (sketching, painting, arts and crafts), musical creativity, creative writing, creativity through drama and dance, creativity in archetectural design, creativity in fashion. Even is someone is more logically creative they may not be able to play an instrument as well as someone else. Same goes with everything else.

Most Helpful Girls

• Why does everything on here have to be a men against women thing? Here's the thing with creativity, it isn't based on the gender. It's based on, the person and their artistic abilities.

Picasso wasn't a great sculptor and painter because he was a man.
    Georgia O'Keeffe wasn't a great artist because she was a woman.
    Mozart wasn't a great classical musician because he was a man.
    Maya Angelou wasn't a great poet because she was a woman.

All these people were naturally talented and creativity just naturally flowed through them. Their gender had nothing to do with that. Creativity is a natural thing in certain people, gender not apart of that.

• Without reading your take I'd say men, they daydream more they're encouraged to be adventurous and explorers, they are also not held very accountable for a lot whilst growing up and they mature a lot slower than women. But that doesn't mean woman aren't creative I think we just crest differently.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 36

• Creativity is a recombination of ideas and concepts in your brain. It is proportional to the number of connections in your brain, and therefore it must be proportional to your IQ.
    Men are PROVEN to show a larger deviation in terms of IQ than women. This coincides with what the original article claims - men are either more creative, or less creative than women in general.
    So yeah.
    I don't see the discrimination here. It is pretty clear that men have the TENDENCY to be extremely intelligent, and thus creative, and equally the tendency to be incredibly stupid. Women are tightly packed around the average.
    In fact fact has biological basis. Most of your intelligence is transfered through your X chromosome, while your Y chromosome causes mutations, and thus, possible peaks in your intelligence. I am not at home in biology, but this much I know. So it is quite clear that someone with two X chromosomes will be more "average", than with an X, which is a safe bet, and a Y, which is a wild card.

• Girls and boys are born with equivalent creative potential. Men are encouraged more than women though.

• It is similar with intelligence. Men have a much more widespread standard deviation, meaning they occupy more of the extreme ends of the spectrum.

All in all, men are born to be leaders; we ought to listen to the most successful, most powerful men to advance humanity forward!

• I'd say they are about the same... men SEEM more creative, as society forces women to focus more on their looks... but they're really not.

Women are just as creative as men. I've seen it for myself. Women so creative you would not believe it! The paintings and artworks they made... the athletic stunts they performed... they're only held back by one thing: society.

• i love that you have borat on here lmfao xD
    i think it just depends on what is being created. I think in terms of fashion women can be more creative but in mechanical terms i think men are more creative.

• If you look at art and architecture over human history, the evidence shows men. We can say women have only been given a fair shot to contribute recently, but overall the evidence is pretty clear. Not sure what sources you are using but I would check them again...

• What about you read the studies yourself?

I agree that women haven't had as much of a chance to contribute to society, and the studies do talk about why a man is more likely to come up with a groundbreaking idea.

As I wrote in my take, men and women's creativity levels aren't nessecarily equal but there is no gender that is superior to the other in terms of creativity

• Saying studies isn’t citing them. Which means to me you don’t have any. I agree both men and women can be equally creative. Women now can make that choice and will increase their contribution to that community. But to deny where the evidence lies at this particular point in time, and men have been more creative over all, brings ethos into your argument and destroys the credibility of your take in my opinion.

• I think women tend to be better songwriters. They also tend to have nicer handwriting. Dress better. They can be very creative with their hair. They are generally better interior decoraters. Better cooks.

• Better songwriters? lol. Most females write about love and other superficial things. I can list and list male songwriters that go into more complicated subject matter.

• Also: "superficial"... Really? Like, really? You haven't outgrown that phase? "Ew, love, it's so superficial."

• Pop songs aren't the standard for good writing material

• men for sure
    you women focus on other things to much to be creative

• Having the ability to be creative and using it are different things tho

• as for the core no one can prove it
      that's a theory hands down

its 4000 miles deep they have dug what 10 to 16 miles that's not even 1% so no
      there is no core to the earth

(There's no physical evidence that women are trying to convey that they are sluts)

let me show you reality ok

girl 1# im a slut please post me online so people can see what a slut I am

girl 2# please use me im nothing but a fucking cunt

girl 3# I’m just three fuck holes and a pair of udders made to please cocks

girl 4# just another cunt that loves to be used

I can keep going you women love to be sluts, that's why you girls love assholes, to be treated slutty, and to be used, it's a fantasy

and lets not even go through the video evidence all of it is online for everyone to see, even If you make the choice not to fuck a bunch of guys once you get older

you still like this shit, you want your hair pulled, ass smacked, and to be forced to please cock im not dumb

thats reality

• Whatever helps you sleep at night

• Men and women are equally creative! Let's go with R. L. Stine vs. J. K. Rowling or Bram Stoker vs Mary Shelly (apparently Mary Shelly getting a woman's rights movie). Etc.. I can't think of other examples off the top of my head but I will say this, there are mens stories written by women and womens stories written by men. That's fact! Gender prospective is very important! Now someone out there may have evidence that female's don't have as much artistic ability as men but that does not stop the fact that their are many men that are not artists and many women that are! I personally believe that women are at least equal to men. The only difference is the art is approached or seen from a different prospective, as far as I am concerned that's a good thing! Think about that! There is some art that only women can do simply because they can see it from being a woman.

• That depends on what type of creativity you are referring to. Are you referring to "artistic" creativity? Or engineering creativity? I'd say in general women are better at decorating a home or at wearing clothes that look nice and I would put that under "artistic" creativity, or aesthetics.

As a programmer I have to be very logical but also very creative with my solutions. Computers are frustrating and parts of the software at various levels sometimes just don't work well together or don't work as advertised, so I need to find a creative solution, which is thinking "out of the box".

• I don't think one sex/gender is more creative than the other. It's more on the individual.

• I think it's probably about the same level of creativity, but men express it more often than women. Men have to. Women really don't

• Well, since men have industrialized most of the world, built it up with bridges, tunnels, buildings etc, are responsible for 90% of inventions, I’d say men

• Einstein, Edison, Beethoven, Thomas Jefferson, Shakespeare, The Beatles, Spielberg, The Wright Brothers, Jesus Christ, Gandhi, Alexander The Great, etc,... Need I say more? I rest my case!

• Sure there's a lot of of creative and influential men but there's a lot of creative and influential women too. Amelia Earheart, Frida Khalo, Malala Yousafzai, Marie Curie, Sally Ride, JK Rowling, Rosalind Franklin, etc...

• Sorry, but I saw no future in majoring in women's studies when I was in college.

• Lmao like I said these women aren't obscure at all

• You can't associate creativity with gender, it has a lot more to do with your DNA and how our brains are wired not with gender itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_types

identityandtype.files.wordpress.com/.../brainmodes.jpg

From the study you mentioned you could also conclude that women don't excel in certain areas as much as man and are average at most things but there are many more factors that need to be taken into account than gender itself.

• Depends on what type of creativity you are talking about. But probably pretty equal

• Ever watch the show jackass? Come on, you can't tell me those stunts and scenes is something a girl would think of lol.

• Why does every have to be
    Men vs women
    damn

That’s all people care about these days is being better then someone else
    Stop

• Science doesn't get clear, how am I suppossed to do it?

It's true that many documents and trials prove many things about the differences between men and women. BUT we don't know the origin of those differences.

We really don't know what is cultural and what is biological. The most closest to that conclusions I have been able to investigate, is the one which talks about emotions (advantage for women) and strength (advantage for men). BUT, are you sure culture doesn't have any relation to it?

On my opinion every person is a world and must be looked like that, generalizations are useful just to profile and must be taken very lightly.

• Well it doesn't depend on the gender it depends on the individual

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 11

• I would say it depends more on the person self than on gender

• Honestly, I never thought there is any difference between male and female creativity.

• Whichever gender thaat doesn't wear green often

• I get that reference! I rarely get references, but this one I get! Don't Hug Me I'm Scared! Haha, I need to watch those videos again!

• everyone is an individual

• Really depends on the individual I believe.

• Depends on the individual

• We are all equally creative

• Interesting

• I say both

• Women are more creative

• Women!